Green Party leadership race, 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:16:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Green Party leadership race, 2006
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Green Party leadership race, 2006  (Read 1541 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2006, 10:57:52 PM »

It will be interesting as leader Jim Harris anounced he will not be running for re-election as leader of Canada's Green Party.

So far one candidate is in, Deputy Leader David Chernushenko who is quite well known in these parts. He broke 10% in Ottawa Centre and didn't hurt the NDP while doing it. He has been endorsed in both the 2004 and 2006 races by the Ottawa Citizen.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 11:03:35 PM »

So far one candidate is in, Deputy Leader David Chernushenko who is quite well known in these parts. He broke 10% in Ottawa Centre and didn't hurt the NDP while doing it. He has been endorsed in both the 2004 and 2006 races by the Ottawa Citizen.

Did I miss something?  I could have sworn that Andrew Lewis was the deputy leader.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 01:54:44 AM »

Did I miss something?  I could have sworn that Andrew Lewis was the deputy leader.

Hmmm, articles on both Andrew Lewis and David Chernushenko on Wikipedia say they are deputy leader. Their website has a news article calling Chernushenko Deputy Leader for the record.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 01:45:36 AM »

This explains it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Andrew_Lewis_%28Canadian_politician%29

Apparently there are three Deputy Leaders.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 03:53:54 AM »

Oh.

That's kind of weird, but okay.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 07:23:52 PM »

Bump.

Their convention has begun, and they will vote on their new leader tommorow.

The candidates are making their speeches on TV as I type.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 07:25:36 PM »

Besides Chernushenko who is in the running?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 07:30:39 PM »

Oh yes,

Elizabeth May - Former exucitive director of the Sierra Club of Canada (probably the favourite, she has done a lot of environmental work and is fairly well known among environmentalists)

Jim Fannon - A little known real estate agent and a founder of a hemp company.

and of course,

Ottawa's own David Chernushenko- one of the Deputy leaders of the Green Party, and the candidate who had the most votes ever for the Green Party. 
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 02:14:55 PM »

Since the Greens have zero members in Commons why is this important? If it were the NDP or PQ I could see it but the Greens?!
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 02:16:42 PM »

Since the Greens have zero members in Commons why is this important? If it were the NDP or PQ I could see it but the Greens?!

Also, why can't the Greens can't simply merge themselves into the New Democratic Party, their closest ideological brothers who have proven themselves far more electable than they? 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 04:21:11 PM »

Well, it was important enough to be on the major news networks. They did receive 5% of the vote last election, which is among the top Green Parties in the world.

Also, why can't the Greens can't simply merge themselves into the New Democratic Party, their closest ideological brothers who have proven themselves far more electable than they? 

Maybe they should, but it should be noted that the Green Party in Canada is close to the political centre, even considered Libertarian by some based on some of their economic policies. They do pride themselves on attracting votes from across the political spectrum and their (now) former leader is a former Conservative. I would agree of course that Canada's real Green Party is actually the NDP Smiley

Now, as for the results... Elizabeth May won with 65% while Chernushenko managed 33%.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 07:45:18 AM »

Well, it was important enough to be on the major news networks. They did receive 5% of the vote last election, which is among the top Green Parties in the world.

Maybe they should, but it should be noted that the Green Party in Canada is close to the political centre, even considered Libertarian by some based on some of their economic policies. They do pride themselves on attracting votes from across the political spectrum and their (now) former leader is a former Conservative. I would agree of course that Canada's real Green Party is actually the NDP Smiley
As do I, which is why I don't support the Greens in Canadian politics. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies