German Brothel Removes Muslim Flags
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:01:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  German Brothel Removes Muslim Flags
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: German Brothel Removes Muslim Flags  (Read 1149 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2006, 04:52:01 AM »

Lol.

"WORLD CUP ROW

German Brothel Removes Muslim Flags Amid Threats

A German brothel seeking to drum up business during the World Cup has been forced to remove the national flags of Saudi Arabia and Iran from an array of flags on its facade after threats from Muslims saying it was insulting their faith.

It must have seemed like a good idea at the time. Europe's largest brothel, the Pascha in Cologne, which incidentally claims to be the world's only brothel with a money-back guarantee for dissatisfied customers, attached the flags of all 32 nations competing in the World Cup to its façade in a bid to demonstrate international flair and attract custom during the tournament this summer.

A giant poster covering the side of the seven-story, 126-apartment building showed a friendly-looking blonde woman lifting up her bra above the slogan "A Time to Make Girlfriends", in a play on the World Cup's official slogan "A Time to Make Friends." Right beneath her pink panties were posters of the flags, including those of strictly Islamic Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Pascha's manager Armin Lobscheid had also erected real flags of all the World Cup nations on another side of the building.

The campaign provoked excitement, but not the kind the management was hoping for. Men from the Muslim community came to the door complaining that showing the flags of Saudi Arabia and Iran was an insult to the Prophet Muhammad. Later, some returned in masks.

"On Friday evening we were threatened by 11 masked men who demand that we take down the Saudi Arabian flag," Lobscheid told the Kölner Express, a local newspaper. Not wanting any trouble, the brothel obliged and removed it and the Iranian one. But that still left the flags printed on the poster.

"On Saturday night there were 20 masked men armed with knives and sticks. They threatened to get violent and even bomb the place unless we black out the Iranian and Saudia Arabian flags on the poster as well," said Lobscheid.

The men had left before the police arrived. But to spare his establishment any more trouble, Lobscheid ordered a crane to black out the two flags as well. Lobscheid is now considering filing a complaint but also wants to hold talks with the local Muslim community."

One minor note:
The author of the article clearly didn't notice ... but Iran and Saudi Arabia are not the only Islamic countries to qualify (they're the only ones that can be called Islamist though), so that was not the point. The point was what is on the flags.
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ir.html
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/sa.html
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/sa_hist.html#bas
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 05:30:25 AM »

The same thing happened in Briatin last time round- one of the flags was used on an advertisement for something and they demanded it be removed
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 06:02:01 AM »

Saudi Flag ... yeah, I suppose putting the religion's holiest statement on yr flag is sort of asking for trouble ...
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 06:31:06 AM »

Saudi Flag ... yeah, I suppose putting the religion's holiest statement on yr flag is sort of asking for trouble ...

True - but it doesn't seem to be a two way street- like burning the Christian cross Danish flag Wink
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 08:27:16 AM »

True - but it doesn't seem to be a two way street- like burning the Christian cross Danish flag Wink

Go and burn a Saudi flag f you want to; nothing is stopping you.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 09:25:49 AM »

Go and burn a Saudi flag f you want to; nothing is stopping you.

Technically I could (though I wouldn't want to) But If I did do that in public I can bet you, Ill have death threats against myself and the public the moment the flame touches the cloth Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 12:59:52 PM »

Flags are for fools, Islam is for the insane, but a brothel is always cool.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies