Queensland state election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:06:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Queensland state election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Queensland state election  (Read 9862 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: January 15, 2004, 12:49:44 PM »

I'd guess that the ALP will be re-elected, although I'm not sure how big their majority will be.
The Nationals will probably come second, although the Liberals will probably win more votes than them.
I'm worried that One Nation might make a strong showing... please tell me I'm wrong...

Queensland is a weird place... I see to recall that it was run by a right wing nutter called Joh Bjelke-Petersen, who wanted to blow a hole in the Great Barrier Reef for some reason, for ages.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 12:51:57 PM »

I've just looked at the ABC site and it's excellent!
Thanks for the link Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 12:26:44 PM »

I'm worried that One Nation might make a strong showing... please tell me I'm wrong...

Queensland is a weird place... I see to recall that it was run by a right wing nutter called Joh Bjelke-Petersen, who wanted to blow a hole in the Great Barrier Reef for some reason, for ages.

Well, regarding One Nation, I doubt it will do well at all.  Their current two members are both likely to be returned though -- but in practice, as right-wing, rural independents.  Both seats were previously safe-as-houses National Party seats.  Both MPs will support the Nationals in the House.  

I think the ONP is fairly redundant, as Hanson has said she won't be campaigning.  However, the constituency that was attracted to ONP is still there - rural and semi-rural, socially conservative, economically interventionist and protectionist.   They will support Nats in some areas, ONP in others, but most importantly, right-wing independents.  And their votes will probably be securely channelled back to the Coalition via preferences (we have STV voting system in Australia).

Having said that, this will be happening in traditional Coalition seats, so it won't eat much into (usually) marginal, or Labor, seats.

You're right about Sir Joh Bjelke Petersen.  He was premier from 1968-1987.  And Queensland is different, but not weird : )  Its values are deeply anti-metropolitan, even in metropolitan areas.

One Nation won't do well? Excellent news Smiley

Weird is a perjorative word... would eccentric be accurate?

One question: Why did Sir Joh Bjelke Petersen want to blow the Great Barrier Reef?
Is it because he could?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 06:52:49 AM »

Queensland has a bit of a reputation for producing...er... unusual people... Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 04:53:17 AM »

I was right... the ALP was re-elected, and the NPA got more seats than the Liberals despite winning less votes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies