Would you support a constitutional amendment limiting presidents to one term?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:26:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Would you support a constitutional amendment limiting presidents to one term?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would you support a constitutional amendment limiting presidents to one term?
(R) Yes

(R) No

(D) Yes

(D) No

(O) Yes

(O) No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Would you support a constitutional amendment limiting presidents to one term?  (Read 2419 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2006, 10:34:43 PM »

Yes. Lame duck presidents tend to be less effective, so making every president a lame duck from day one would be great for liberty.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 10:57:14 PM »

no (r)

in fact, i do not believe in term limits.  the two term limit should be abolished.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 11:15:08 PM »

I think people should have the right to vote for whomever it is they want to vote for.  I oppose any term limits.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 11:43:03 PM »

I think people should have the right to vote for whomever it is they want to vote for.  I oppose any term limits.

Why?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 11:45:13 PM »

Why?

Because I do not think that obstructing government is the way to reduce government.  It seems backhanded.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 11:45:53 PM »

No (R), what I'd like to see is the President elected for a four-year term and then can for re-election to one two-year term.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 11:47:38 PM »

Why?

Because I do not think that obstructing government is the way to reduce government.  It seems backhanded.

What do you think the separation of powers is for?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 11:52:21 PM »

Why?

What do you think the separation of powers is for?

I'll say that your knowledge in this area kicks the crap out of my knowledge, but I would assume the primary justification for seperation of powers is to prevent corruption.  On the other hand, not everyone agrees that government size should be reduced.

Feel free to call me an idiot, since I really should know more about this stuff.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 10:41:27 AM »

I do not believe in any form of a "term limit".
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 10:52:11 AM »

in fact, i do not believe in term limits.  the two term limit should be abolished.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 11:11:28 AM »

Yup, it's a great idea.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 12:00:27 PM »

I don't support the amendment that limits to two terms, let alone one term!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 03:21:31 PM »

No, term limits should be abolished.

It seems a bit odd to say that restricting the freedom to vote for whomever you want to is a pro-liberty position.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 03:25:40 PM »

It seems a bit odd to say that restricting the freedom to vote for whomever you want to is a pro-liberty position.

Is restricting the 'freedom' to vote for sedition laws not a pro-liberty position?

Government is not the exercise of liberty. It is the exercise of force.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 08:43:33 PM »

No.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2006, 09:30:06 PM »

Yes. Lame duck presidents tend to be less effective, so making every president a lame duck from day one would be great for liberty.

What? You just said lame duck Presidents are not effective so wouldn't making them all lame ducks from day one be making all Presidencies less effective?

Yes. That's why it's such a great idea.
Jacobtm

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2006, 09:52:15 PM »

Come to think of it, yes.

Second terms don't tend to work out well anyway.
nlm
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 01:57:28 PM »

yes, generally speaking, I favor getting folks out of public office quickly. It keeps the ideas fresh, it keeps our politicians more in touch, it keeps them from inacting too many large scale changes, it stops them (to a degree) from becoming corrupted by the system, and keeps their eye on the peoples business.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 03:43:04 PM »

I can see the pro's and con's.  In VA, a one-term governor is focused more on doing his job, and less on being re-elected.  On the flip side, whatever the governor doesn't start  at the beginning of his term will most likely not be completed by the end of his term, and if there is a change in party with the new governor, all the time and money spent on incomplete projects will most likely be wasted when the policy changes.  The same would hold true on the national level.

With that being the case, a single four-year term would be too short for the President.  I would recommend a 6-year term if he is to be limited to just one term.
Jacobtm

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 04:33:30 PM »

There should be no term limits.  I want to be able to vote for who I want to vote for.
At the same time, I don't want people entrenched in power being able to manipulate the vote count ever-so-slightly to get themselves re-elected.

I know people can cheat to get elected in the first place (JFK, GWB), but it's better to just have 1 term of a sneaky cheater who isn't fully exposed.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 04:36:35 PM »

Yep - if Congress has no term limits, and the judiciary has no term limits, then why should the Presidency?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2006, 07:03:27 PM »

There should be no term limits.  I want to be able to vote for who I want to vote for.
At the same time, I don't want people entrenched in power being able to manipulate the vote count ever-so-slightly to get themselves re-elected.

I know people can cheat to get elected in the first place (JFK, GWB), but it's better to just have 1 term of a sneaky cheater who isn't fully exposed.

It is incredibly difficult to "cheat" and win in an election, and highly unlikely that any one candidate can do so once let alone more than once.  Oh, and neither JFK nor GWB cheated to get elected. Wink

The problem is not that incumbents cheat - it is that incumbents have too many advantages, that though legal, ethical and otherwise unimpeachable, would tend to make an electoral loss quite unlikely, short of extreme circumstances. Given the nature of US presidency, I would conjecture that if somebody were ever to get to his fourth term, he'd have an excelect chance of being continuously reelected until he is Strom Thurmondish or dead.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2006, 07:09:11 PM »

A two-term limit seems adequate for Presidents (and Governors). Single 4-year term is too short - you are out before you learn anyting. Single 6-, or 8- year term prevents an early purge of screw-ups. More than 8 years - you'd only have them ever lose long past they stopped being effective.

On the other hand, I am opposed to legislative and mayoral term limits. Good experienced legislators and mayors can be invaluable assets. Of course, regular independent redistricting is essential for this to work.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2006, 07:22:22 PM »

Single 4-year term is too short - you are out before you learn anyting.

What modern president had a second term better than his first?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2006, 07:35:32 PM »

Single 4-year term is too short - you are out before you learn anyting.

What modern president had a second term better than his first?

You are basing your statement on the theory, that the problem with the second term is that it is second. I would propose an alternative theory, that the the problem is that it is last. If my theory is correct, you would get the worst of both worlds: inexperienced lame duck from day 1.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies