Who do you THINK will win the Republican nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:43:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Who do you THINK will win the Republican nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who do you THINK will win the Republican nomination? (last tradesports transaction price in parentheses)
John McCain (40.2)

George Allen (18.9)

Mitt Romney (13.7)

Rudy Giuliani (10.9)

Condoleeza Rice (5.6)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Who do you THINK will win the Republican nomination?  (Read 10374 times)
SCDem07
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2006, 09:19:08 PM »

Mike Huckabee!
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2006, 11:33:37 PM »

Mark Warner,

All the early polls are done off of name recognition, and right now most people know who McCain and Giuilani are.  Thus they will lead pretty handily.

As for the question posed by Tweed: Senator Allen.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2006, 12:06:00 PM »

I would say that there is a 90% chance that, by New Hampshire '08 the big names will be McCain, Romney and Giuliani... with some token far-righter in there.
Max

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2006, 01:57:40 PM »

Given that McCain wins the primary - and the general elections later - who would be his running mate?

Remember, McCain will be 72 in 2008 and perhaps be a "one-turner" or even less...

No question: I wish him a long and healthy life, of course, but it's a realistic option that his vice becomes more important as usual.

TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2006, 03:14:50 PM »

Given that McCain wins the primary - and the general elections later - who would be his running mate?

I'm going out on a limb and saying JC Watts.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2006, 03:19:06 PM »

Remember, McCain will be 72 in 2008 and perhaps be a "one-turner" or even less...

No question: I wish him a long and healthy life, of course, but it's a realistic option that his vice becomes more important as usual.

Agreed, which is why, if McCain does get the nomination the Veep choice will not be some cream puff, like Edwards.  Chances are he will be some one who can appease the party (not conservatives per se) a real, loyal party man, as that is where McCain is weak.  Chances are, he will be a he, since there aren't many shes that fit the profile, that are not too old.

Romney fits well as a party man, even though he might not be the most staunch conservative.  He is not expirienced, but he is presidential.  I think he is near the top.

Allen clashes with... anyone's... personality too much to be anyone's number two.

Giuliani can only be a top man, I think.  He could be a good Veep, but he is almost too high profile for the job.  Still, given the situation with it being very likely that he would assend to the presidency, then he could be the choice.  He is also acceptable to the party, even if he is not conservative on some issues.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2006, 03:37:31 PM »

I would say that there is a 90% chance that, by New Hampshire '08 the big names will be McCain, Romney and Giuliani... with some token far-righter in there.

Best post so far, other than mine, and the one that's probably the most accurate.  Smiley

One person who could be there I didn't list in my list is Mike Huckabee.  He could be the token, though he's not that far to the right.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2006, 06:22:13 PM »

Romney is the only candidate I fear.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2006, 08:51:19 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2006, 08:53:43 PM by Winfield »

True statement about the VP choice in this case.

If John McCain is the Republican nominee, I believe his choice of a VP running mate will be the most crucial for a ticket since John F Kennedy picked Lyndon B Johnson in 1960.

Rule out Rudy Giuliani, IMHO.  Giuliani is unacceptable to the GOP base.  Giuliani as a VP choice is a non-starter.

The main question for McCain and his people will be, "Who is up to the task of being President if required to do so?"  The other question will be, "Who has a broad enough appeal both in the Republican Party, and with the electorate at large?"

I know many members of this forum have a distinct dislike of Mitt Romney.  However, Romney fits the bill very well, as the VP nominee running with McCain, IMHO.

Romney has definite leadership skills, his public speaking and debating abilities are second to none, and his appeal cuts across party lines. 

Romney is not too conservative to frighten moderates, and he is not too liberal to frighten conservatives.

Romney has to be taken seriously, even by those who do not like him.  Romney is a political heavyweight. 

Mitt Romney is becoming a major force in the 2008 Presidential/Vice Presidential sweepstakes.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2006, 10:22:46 PM »

Chuck Hagel--Nebraska--he has my vote already.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2006, 11:56:29 PM »

True statement about the VP choice in this case.

If John McCain is the Republican nominee, I believe his choice of a VP running mate will be the most crucial for a ticket since John F Kennedy picked Lyndon B Johnson in 1960.

Rule out Rudy Giuliani, IMHO.  Giuliani is unacceptable to the GOP base.  Giuliani as a VP choice is a non-starter.

The main question for McCain and his people will be, "Who is up to the task of being President if required to do so?"  The other question will be, "Who has a broad enough appeal both in the Republican Party, and with the electorate at large?"

I know many members of this forum have a distinct dislike of Mitt Romney.  However, Romney fits the bill very well, as the VP nominee running with McCain, IMHO.

Romney has definite leadership skills, his public speaking and debating abilities are second to none, and his appeal cuts across party lines. 

Romney is not too conservative to frighten moderates, and he is not too liberal to frighten conservatives.

Romney has to be taken seriously, even by those who do not like him.  Romney is a political heavyweight. 

Mitt Romney is becoming a major force in the 2008 Presidential/Vice Presidential sweepstakes.

I agree with what you say about Romeny, but don't rule out Giuliani.  Giuliani has always been faithful to the party, which means that he will go far in the primary... even given his moderate-to-liberal stances on a few social issues.

If National Security is still a big issue in 2008, he will be a major consideration.  Even if it isn't, he will have an impact.  I once thought he was a fast fade, but given that it is 6 years later, and people are still talking about him, I think he is for real.
Wyatt Chesney
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: -0.96

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2006, 09:23:12 PM »

I think that by the time the primaries roll around, Rudy's charisma and popularity will trump McCain. McCain has forced a loss of faith in the moderate community they are really starting to realize that he isn't that moderarte at all. McCain doesn't have a strong base to work with...he has experience on his side, but so did John Kerry. Also, keep in mind how old McCain is. He is upwards of 75 years old, and isn't in the best of health from what I hear. Guliani is young and vibrant and really strikes a chord with both the youth and the older crowd.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2006, 04:27:37 PM »

Out of those, McCain.
MadScout

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2006, 10:15:45 PM »

Dude, Chuck Hagel wouldn't even get past a primary here in Nebraska.  I doubt he can be a serious contender in 2008.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2006, 02:39:19 AM »

McCain should pick Brownback, but that's my fantasy world calling.
sethm0

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2006, 04:47:57 PM »

I side with those who say that McCain and Guliani are probably too moderate to win approval from the Republican base, even though both of them are beginning to court the far-right pretty heavily. Guliani also has personal issues that would make it difficult for him to gain approval from christian conservatives.

Romney's mormonism, his mixed messages on abortion, his lack of foreign policy experience and 2002 Salt Lake scandals will be more than enough to do him in.

So the most likely nominees at this point are probably Allen or Frist, with Huckabee, Lindsay Graham, and Hagel each having an outside shot.

Assuming one of these conservatives takes the nomination, it's possible that the running mate will be someone a bit more moderate and symbollic, perhaps Guliani or Condaleeza Rice.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2006, 09:49:53 PM »

Dude, Chuck Hagel wouldn't even get past a primary here in Nebraska.  I doubt he can be a serious contender in 2008.

It's never the big guy @ the beginning who wins the nomination--look @ Bush in 2000 (McCain was projected to win) and Kerry (when Dean was "ahead").  Just curious, who do you think will win it?
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2006, 10:20:11 PM »

I have a lot of faith in Rudy Giuliani. People are casting him off to fast because he is pro-choice and pro-gay. In the end, his strong record of being a defense hawk and his sound hawkish outlook on immigration will give him a lot of room to succeed in the primaries.

McCain has burnt to many bridges. The center looks at him like a phony, the right feels that he is far too weak on immigration (to the left of President Bush), and the left sees him as little more than a center-right republican

Allen is just a name at this point, if he runs he'll be like a Dennis Kucinich for the GOP. A lot of hype, few results.

Giuliani/Romney 2008
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2006, 05:54:42 PM »

What is Rudy's stance on immigration? There are few candidates that I can trust on the issue. Tancredo won't run, McCaine is open borders, Allen, Frist will do what evers popular to get elected, Romney I have no clue where he stands.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2006, 09:25:03 PM »

Rudy has said he would do for the border and immigration what he did for NYC with crime. Which means he will crack down and whoop ass! We need a Giuliani who is willing to do what unpopular to solve a problem because he believes that problems take precident over his own popularity. Truly presidential material in my eyes.

Giuliani/Romney 08!
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2006, 05:06:48 PM »

If Guiliani wants to win the nomination, he had better win Iowa and New Hampshire, cause I think that he's gonna get slaughtered in South Carolina. I assume that his strategy will be to down-play social issues (not gonna be easy) and focus more on his leadership following the 9/11 attacks and his New York City mayoral record.

I don't think that he'll get the top job, but he'd make a great running mate. Whatever happens, he'll give another great speech as a keynote speaker at the 2008 Republican National Convention.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2006, 05:17:36 PM »

I have this horrible feeling that Allen will come out as the winner. Barring any other major conservative opponent Allen would shore up the conservative base. Plus I just have a feeling that the Republicans will put up another southerner of average intellegence and ability for President.

I have to say I agree that the McCain/Romney ticket would be hard to beat as it would have two people who would neither seriously turn off the conservative base or not appeal to moderates. Romney brings the party loyalty and McCain brings the across the board popularity and star power to the ticket. It's probably the best one that could come out of the Republicans in '08.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies