North American Free Trade Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:34:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: North American Free Trade Act  (Read 3754 times)
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2006, 06:31:13 PM »

Sponsor: Sen. MasterJedi

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia, Canada, and Mexico.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this bill.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 09:00:06 PM »

For the protection of our industries and our workers, I stand in firm opposition to this act.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 01:33:34 AM »

I suggest a clause to be added to this:
3. The North American Free Trade Agreement and acessory legislation are hereby repealed.

Otherwise, I fully support this.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 02:26:43 AM »

For the protection of our industries and our workers, I stand in firm opposition to this act.

We already have NAFTA; this bill will simply remove all of the sovereignty-infringing regulations from the agreement and allow for a simpler, comprehensible law relating to our free trade laws with Canada and Mexico.

I fully support this bill.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 06:14:44 AM »

We already have NAFTA; this bill will simply remove all of the sovereignty-infringing regulations from the agreement and allow for a simpler, comprehensible law relating to our free trade laws with Canada and Mexico.

Might I ask who's sovereignty is being infringed as NAFTA stands? Because if this Bill, if inacted, diminishes our sovereignty, while being advantageous to Canada and/or Mexico, I'll be opposing it

'Hawk'

How on earth does this diminish OUR sovereignty?!!

It frees us from all of the regulations and jargon in the original agreement that we're bound by.

Editing original post, but hit delete Roll Eyes. Anyway I've another question:

If this Bill is enacted would it permit the President or any other official of the Atlasian Government to impose tariffs, as they deem appropriate, to safeguard our national and socio-economic interests. If so, I'll support it

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 07:02:32 AM »

Ugh, I knew you were going to introduce these bills. I should have PM'd you since there isn't enough time to properly debate them they shouldn't have been introduced. Sad
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 02:01:41 PM »

If this Bill is enacted would it permit the President or any other official of the Atlasian Government to impose tariffs
No. It would be unconstitutional for the President to impose tariffs or any other kinds of taxes.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 02:26:22 PM »

My goodness, how silly of me!

I was assuming that this was a forum version of the actual bill, and reality had been altered in some way. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 04:07:38 PM »

And I don't see how anyone could say no to that. This bill has my full support. Our government should not have to worry about such obstacles concerning trade agreements.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 08:14:01 PM »

I rise in support of this bill.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 08:37:28 PM »

Has this been made in consultation with authorities from the Government of Canada and the Government of Mexico?  If not, exactly what assurance do we have that they will also ditch NAFTA and pick something like this up?

It seems to me that free trade is the last thing that should be done unilaterially, if only for practical concerns.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 01:28:26 AM »

Has this been made in consultation with authorities from the Government of Canada and the Government of Mexico?  If not, exactly what assurance do we have that they will also ditch NAFTA and pick something like this up?

It seems to me that free trade is the last thing that should be done unilaterially, if only for practical concerns.

Why?
Would you wait for other people to stop hitting themselves with a hammer to stop it yourself?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 02:33:24 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong but basically, as the agreement stands all goods can move freely between the Republic of Atlasia, Canada and Mexico and not be subject to tariffs, customs or restrictions by the Republic of Atlasia

Therefore, am I to understand that this Bill would:

1. Permit the President and other officers of the Atlasian government to outlaw certain goods as and when they deem appropriate; so, in a nutshell, this Bill gives Atlasia the sovereign power to restrict the movement of such goods across our sovereign territory

2. Allow the Senate to levy tariffs and customs on certain goods, as and when it deems appropriate, as would be its sovereign right to do so

If both premises 1) and 2) are indeed the case, I will support this Bill

'Hawk'
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 04:33:55 AM »

1. Permit the President and other officers of the Atlasian government to outlaw certain goods as and when they deem appropriate; so, in a nutshell, this Bill gives Atlasia the sovereign power to restrict the movement of such goods across our sovereign territory

2. Allow the Senate to levy tariffs and customs on certain goods, as and when it deems appropriate, as would be its sovereign right to do so

Premise 2 is true: the Senate will retain the power to impose tariffs as it sees fit. Premise 1 is not true: the executive branch cannot make new laws; it can only execute existing laws.

It is quite unlikely that Canada and Mexico would abandon NAFTA. This bill does not in any way harm those countries; it not only helps Atlasia, it also helps them.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I don't think that I would agree, since free trade always benefits the country trading freely.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 07:31:41 PM »

If premise 2 is true as Emsworth states, I rise in support of this bill, putting aside my misunderstanding earlier.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 07:54:32 PM »

Premise 2 is true: the Senate will retain the power to impose tariffs as it sees fit. Premise 1 is not true: the executive branch cannot make new laws; it can only execute existing laws.

Thanks.

I, hereby, raise my support for this Bill now that I know its effects

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 10:26:22 AM »

This is re-introduced.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 04:33:03 PM »

What *are* said 'sovereignty-infringing regulations'?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 07:22:10 PM »

Please consider this amendment:
3. The North American Free Trade Agreement and accessory legislation are hereby repealed.

Under Chapter 11 of NAFTA, Canadians tried to violate California's sovereignty by trying to remove its ban of Methanex. ( http://www.methanex.com/newsroom/mtbe.html , http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/NAFTA_FTAA/NAFTA_FTAA_InvestorsRights.html )
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2006, 10:46:25 AM »

Under Chapter 11 of NAFTA, Canadians tried to violate California's sovereignty by trying to remove its ban of Methanex. ( http://www.methanex.com/newsroom/mtbe.html , http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/NAFTA_FTAA/NAFTA_FTAA_InvestorsRights.html )

Hmm, okay Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2006, 07:50:07 PM »

I propose the following amendment:

3. The North American Free Trade Agreement and accessory legislation are hereby repealed.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2006, 10:14:17 AM »

I hereby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2006, 10:14:36 AM »

Aye
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52