Pacifican Statehood Act of 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:52:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Pacifican Statehood Act of 2006  (Read 10164 times)
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2006, 06:33:06 PM »

Sponsor: Sen. MasterJedi

I. After a majority of vote by the citizens of Guam, Atlasian Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands voting in the affirmative in a referendum administrated five days after the passage of this act by the territory governments of the commonwealths of Guam, Atlasian Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands are hereby entered in the Union of Atlasia as a new state of Pacifica.
II. Pacifica shall become a state in the Pacific Region.
III. Pacifica shall be assigned to District 5 until the next round of redistricting when commensurate with the Constitution it shall be liable to be moved to another District.
IV. The state of Pacifica shall be given full rights under whichever region/district it’s placed into and be under full jurisdiction of the Atlasian Constitution.
V. Section 2 of the Miscellany Act shall be amended, following a majority of the citizens of Guam, Atlasian Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands voting in the affirmative to grant Pacifica statehood to contain a clause 6, the text of which shall be as follows: “Pacifica is contiguous to Alaska”, a clause 7, the text of which shall be as follows: “Pacifica is be contiguous to Hawaii”, and a clause 8, the text of which shall be as follows: “Pacifica is contiguous to California”.
VI. Baker Island, Howland Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef and Wake Island shall be part of the state of Pacifica.
VII: Palmyra Atoll and Midway Island shall become part of the state of Hawaii.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 06:38:34 PM »

I didn't support this then, and I certainly don't support this now.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 06:49:58 PM »

I urge my senators, Keystone Phil and Earl, to vote no.

^I can do that here right?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 06:54:29 PM »

Whilst it is implied, make it clear that the residents of each territory vote seperately and that any territory that declines to join won't be frced to join if the other vote in favour of the proposal.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 07:05:35 PM »

I supported this Bill then and I support it now. It was approved (5:4:1) and it should have been signed into Law then

End of! Unless an endless array of amendments be proposed

'Hawk'
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 07:14:38 PM »

Anyone who supports this can be assured of not getting my vote next time around.  Smiley
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 07:16:23 PM »

Yup Smiley  I will be voting nay on this.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 07:29:55 PM »

It was approved (5:4:1) and it should have been signed into Law then

Excuse me?
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 07:32:51 PM »

Of course.  Think of this Senate as the U.S. Senate, but with a balcony full of hecklers.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 07:35:15 PM »

BTW.  I can't believe this is being seriously considered in the Atlasian Senate.  I'd be amused if it weren't for the fact that certain Senators are bent on re-proposing legislation until they get the result that they want.

Consider that a promise of a veto.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 07:45:17 PM »

BTW.  I can't believe this is being seriously considered in the Atlasian Senate.  I'd be amused if it weren't for the fact that certain Senators are bent on re-proposing legislation until they get the result that they want.
The Senate should adopt a rule stating that a bill can be introduced only once during any two-month session. Once a group of ten Senators has made its decision (rejection or refusal to override a veto), the same group of ten Senators should not be asked to reconsider. Of course, there is nothing wrong with reintroducing a bill after the new Senators have taken office.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 07:54:57 PM »

Consider that a promise of a veto.

Given the vote last time, and the President's sentiments, I don't see this Bill progressing - despite my ardent support for it. Let the people of Guam, American Samoa and the Northern Mariana decide is, after all, my guiding principle on this issue. It's a principle I'm not keen to abandon

All I wonder is that had it been signed into Law in the first instance would the events in Guam have taken place?

Neverthless, I support the military action taken by the President in response to recent events but will military action resolve the issue once and for all?

Therefore, for the time being, it might be better to withdraw this Bill until such time as calm is restored to Guam but the principle that the people of Guam, American Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands should decide remains at my core

'Hawk'
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 08:03:46 PM »

I am intending to vote nay. We've already considered this bill once, attempting to pass it a second time in spite of the president's veto is bad tact.

edit- grammars.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 08:08:27 PM »

It was approved (5:4:1) and it should have been signed into Law then

Excuse me?

Mr President Smiley,

Perhaps, had this became Law then, the events in Guam may just have been averted. Prevention beats the cure - a notion, which simply reflects the above statement on my part. In hindsight, I should have been more clear Smiley

'Hawk'
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 08:12:09 PM »

If the people of of Pacifica want this, I don't see why I should have my nay vote get in their way.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 08:14:43 PM »

If the people of of Pacifica want this, I don't see why I should have my nay vote get in their way.

A very principled position to take Senator Smiley

'Hawk'
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 08:59:21 PM »

I abstained on the first bill.

Quite frankly, I cannot see why we should deny these regions a choice to become a state.  If they wish to become our 52nd state, so be it.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 09:18:51 PM »

I would agree that popular sovereignty is a good notion, but this is a special case.  Firstly,  they are far too far apart to be one state.  It would be ridiculous to think of how it could be governed as a state or even within the Pacific region, which would be extended by thousands of miles if Pacifica was added.  Also, the state would be too small to be added.  I also believe Wyoming shouldn't have been added, but certainly not the couple hundred thousand living on these islands.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 09:31:11 PM »

I would agree that popular sovereignty is a good notion, but this is a special case.  Firstly,  they are far too far apart to be one state.  It would be ridiculous to think of how it could be governed as a state or even within the Pacific region, which would be extended by thousands of miles if Pacifica was added.  Also, the state would be too small to be added.  I also believe Wyoming shouldn't have been added, but certainly not the couple hundred thousand living on these islands.

I understand your concerns, but I believe the people of Pacifica should weigh those concerns themselves and decide in the form of a referendum rather than have some Senator from the mainland decide for them Smiley
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 09:47:03 PM »

I would agree that popular sovereignty is a good notion, but this is a special case.  Firstly,  they are far too far apart to be one state.  It would be ridiculous to think of how it could be governed as a state or even within the Pacific region, which would be extended by thousands of miles if Pacifica was added.  Also, the state would be too small to be added.  I also believe Wyoming shouldn't have been added, but certainly not the couple hundred thousand living on these islands.

I understand your concerns, but I believe the people of Pacifica should weigh those concerns themselves and decide in the form of a referendum rather than have some Senator from the mainland decide for them Smiley

I believe the Senate should be weighing the concerns of Atlasia as a whole. which we cannot expect the Pacifica territories to do.  I would at least hope the Pacific senator would vote nay seeing as it would be disastrous and expensive for his region.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2006, 09:50:27 PM »

Quick question to supporters of this bill: do you support D.C. statehood?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2006, 11:04:51 PM »

Of course.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006, 01:24:37 AM »

I urge all Senators to vote against this piece of horrible legislation.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2006, 02:28:42 AM »

Of course.

Would you support the secession of South Carolina in the 1860s?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2006, 02:34:26 AM »

All I wonder is that had it been signed into Law in the first instance would the events in Guam have taken place?

That's entirely irrelevant.

Our statehood policies should not be dictated by the wants of violent protesters and boycott organizers in Guam.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies