Most vulnerable governor seat (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:27:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Most vulnerable governor seat (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most vulnerable governor seat  (Read 15319 times)
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« on: July 04, 2004, 10:35:01 PM »

Missouri and Indiana.  The Washington race could switch too.

Definately watch Washington.  The likely democratic nominee is a potentially weak candidate named Christine Gregoire.  She is the AG of Washington State.  Unfortunately for her there is a "scandal" involving her mismanagement of the AG's office that will no doubt dog her until the end of the election.  And of course, Gregoire will be running to succeed the somewhat unpopular Gary Locke.  Republicans don't like Locke because he's a slave to the teachers unions and the democrats don't like him because he signed a budget a couple of sessions ago that gutted some state programs.

Meanwhile, the republicans have already rallied behind Dino Rossi.  He's simply a phenomenal candidate.  He's a state Senator from Western Washington, a successful businessman.  He's accepted by moderates and conservatives (in the past WA republicans have nominated far right candidates).  He's been raising a ton of money.

Another thing to keep in mind is that since 2000, republican voter registration has increased significantly.  I believe republicans are within a point or two of achieving parity with the democrats.  All that to say that I think republicans have a great opportunity to win the governorship.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 06:23:57 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2004, 06:24:21 PM by Senator StevenNick »

The numbers I referred to comes from a report by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press entitled "2004 Political Landscape."  The report examines party identification nation-wide and on a state by state basis.

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?PageID=750

Washington isn't mentioned in the text of the report, but you can see in the table entitled "Partisan Shifts in Democratic States" that Republicans have made a net gain of 6 percentage points in party identification post 9/11.  Of course, this report isn't gospel, but I do think it accurately captured a nation-wide swing to the GOP in which Washington state is included.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 02:04:57 PM »

That's about to change with our new primary system.  The numbers in the survey I cited above are voter identification.  In the very near future, however, there should be some data about voter registration in Washington state.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies