Legislation Introduction Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:13:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Legislation Introduction Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 74
Author Topic: Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 311154 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: August 04, 2011, 08:58:30 PM »

I, uh, know what current law is. I made this specific to health care as to override the "doctors" in the Mideast trying to determine what is a valid medical treatments. The federal government guarantees health care.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #926 on: August 04, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »

Senators of Altasia,

I would like to speak before you today in regards to the proposed Right to Treatment Act here in the senate, which is an attempt to use federal authority to block the Mideast Anti-Marijuana Bill currently being debated in the Mideast Assembly under the faulty guise of ensuring that patients will receive the medical treatment they need and deserve.

Should the Mideast bill pass, the doctors in the Mideast will still be able to prescribe THC in the form of Marinol (which is approved by the FDA in real life http://www.justice.gov/dea/ongoing/marinol.html). This means the set of circumstances where marijuana would need to be smoked for medical reasons and Marinol would not suffice would be undefined and in all likelihood rather remote. The law would still allow a pathway for these circumstances should they arise: the doctor would simply need to obtain permission from the Mideast Department of Health. This is not an attempt to co-opt the authority of doctors but rather a check against the abuse of a drug where prescription abuse is highly likely to occur. As my fellow Assemblyman Zuwo, the bill's sponser, has pointed out this is the system used in Switzerland where it works well to allow the use of cannabis by patients who truly need it and abuse by those who don't. Enacting this as federal law will undoubtedly lead to a legal scramble over what qualifies as "excessive restrictions" and of course that this bill qualifies as a “restriction”. With advent of Marinol, combined with the provisions of the proposed bill, this entire problem of medical marijuana is in my opinion a manufactured crisis aimed at defeating the control of a harmful substance often utilized for the purpose of recreational drug use. I urge the Senate to reject this proposed measure as an undue infringement on the Mideast Region which serves no legitimate federal interest.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #927 on: August 04, 2011, 09:34:32 PM »

FWIW, I believe this sort of discussion should be taking place in the "Senate Protest and Analysis Thread", not here.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #928 on: August 04, 2011, 09:42:12 PM »

I, uh, know what current law is. I made this specific to health care as to override the "doctors" in the Mideast trying to determine what is a valid medical treatments. The federal government guarantees health care.

Kudos to you.  I did was not sure exactly what the law was.  It was in 2006, I think.  Very good research.

As far as you argument...I see you are fan of Marokai's interpretation of a the word "demonstration" in Clause 13, Section 5, Article 1 of the Third Constitution.  I myself respectfully disagree with it.  I just don't see it that way, but then again I am a strict constructionist.

However, an argument could be made that the amendment to the above bill gives the region the right you are trying to take away from them.

As far as "doctors" (your quotes) and "valid medical treatments" (my sarcastic quotes, not at you but rather based on my experience), I have a friend who got a prescription for marijuana for headaches (probably due to the fact he was hung over) while his girlfriend got them for PMS.  I do question a lot of the "doctors" (this time my quotes, because the guy who gave the prescription was not an MD or anything medical related).  Thus, returning to my opinion that we should just legalize it and do away with the facade.

Just my opinion.  While I was typing, I saw Tmth's post.  he is right.  I just wanted to respond in a way that I know someone would see the whole discussion.  I will now depart.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #929 on: August 05, 2011, 07:27:02 PM »

GENTLEMAN STOP CLUTTERING THIS DAMN THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Angry Angry Angry

There are two other threads for that, people. Roll Eyes
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #930 on: August 08, 2011, 10:09:58 PM »

Submitted on behalf of constituent Tmth:

Campaigning for Invalidation of Votes Act Amendment

Section 1 of the Campaigning for Invalidation of Votes Act shall be amended to read:

1. It shall be a crime against the Republic of Atlasia for any citizen to instruct or encourage a voter who has already cast his or her ballot to take an action that would have the effect of invalidating the ballot.

2. For the purposes of this statute, federal election shall extend to (but is not limited to) any election for President, Vice-President or Senator, any federal impeachment vote, and any public vote sanctioned by Law which requires that an officer of the federal government administer it.

3. The instruction or encouragement of a voter shall be interpreted to include any action which indicates the possibility of invalidating a vote to affect a federal election.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #931 on: August 15, 2011, 01:17:12 AM »

Environmental Conservation and Protection Act

Recognizing that:

1) Federal, regional, and local governments have set aside lands to conserve the natural beauty, resources, inhabitants, or environment in total, of an area

2) These lands have value to society beyond what the market may dictate

3) The federal government has the responsibility to ensure reasonable protections for lands designated for conservation

The Senate of the Republic of Atlasia shall place an immediate ban on all land transfers involving lands designated by the federal, local, or regional governments for conservation and/or environmental protection. The Secretary of Internal Affairs shall be required to review and approve any land transfer to private ownership involving federal land.

When designating protected lands, there shall from here on be two groups: land for restoration and land for conservation.

Land for restoration shall be given a specific time frame for the regeneration, restoration, and recovery of the natural environment before being available for purchase, of no less than fifteen (15) years.

Land for conservation shall be permanently protected, excepting the consent of the Senate, the Secretary of Internal Affairs, the President, the legislature of the region the land is located in, and the executive of the region the land is located in.

Formerly protected federal lands shall not be sold for less than typical market value, subject to an independent review board.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #932 on: August 16, 2011, 11:01:37 PM »

Education Expansion and Competitiveness Act

Section 1:  Appropriations
1.   $5 billion for K-5/6 math and science education programs.
2.   $2 billion for 6-7/8 math and science education programs.
3.   $8 billion for 9-12 math and science education programs.
4.   $4 billion for 9-12 advanced math and science education programs and extracurricular programs.
5.   $5 billion for university-level math and science education programs and studies.
6.   $15 billion to the Secretary of Internal Affairs to distribute among the regions for the construction of public universities with expansive math and science education programs.
7.   $450 million to the Secretary of Internal Affairs to distribute among the regions for the training of new math and science educators at the university level.

Section 2: Qualifications

1.   K-8 math and science education programs include standard mathematics and natural science curriculum.
2.   9-12 math and science education programs include standard mathematics and natural science curriculum, including algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, statistics, computer science, computer engineering, biology, bioengineering, environmental science, chemistry, physics, biochemistry, and biophysics.
3.   University-level math and science education programs may be designated by the university or the region it belongs to.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #933 on: August 30, 2011, 12:22:27 AM »

HIGH PRIORITY

Natural Disaster Relief Act of 2011

Section 1:  Appropriations
1.  $5 billion shall be put into an account to provide aid relief for the Southeast, Mideast, and Northeast regions affected by Hurricane Irene.  
2.  $2 billion shall be set aside to fund infrastructure improvements in the coastal Northeast, Mideast, and Southeast states in order to be more damage resistent in future storms.

Section 2:  Process for distribution
1.  Governors of the three regions along the east coast affected by Hurricane Irene shall prepare a report and request the funds needed for repairs as outlined in section 1 from the SoIA.  
2.  No less than 60% of the funds from Section 1, Clause 1 shall be appropriated to the Northeast.  Beyond that requirement, the SoIA has the discretion to appropriate the funds from Section 1, Clauses 1 and 2 as he sees fit.
3.  Any monies not appropriated to the regions by January 31st, 2012, shall be returned to the general fund.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #934 on: September 01, 2011, 02:27:08 AM »

Atlasian Duels Act
1) Should there be a mutual agreement, any two Atlasians may engage in a duel.
2) Duels shall take place in Starcraft II, in a randomly-chosen ladder map.
3) A replay of the game must be saved and shared with others to confirm the duel happened and who won and who lost.
4) Whoever loses the duel shall be removed as a registered voter and prohibited from re-registering for a period of one year.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #935 on: September 01, 2011, 04:17:07 PM »

I love Starcraft II!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

On behalf of Ben and the administration
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #936 on: September 04, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »

Sponsored on behalf of the administration
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #937 on: September 04, 2011, 10:43:16 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2011, 01:53:28 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #938 on: September 08, 2011, 05:22:43 PM »

Post Modernization Act

The Atlasian Postal Service shall deliver only on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays beginning January 1st, 2012.

In the case of federal holidays, delivery shall take place the following day.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #939 on: September 08, 2011, 07:46:50 PM »

Introduced on behalf of the President
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #940 on: September 18, 2011, 12:59:45 AM »

Fifth Amendment to the Proportional Representation Act

Section 1: Concession of Victories
The following changes shall be made to the Proportional Representation Act:
1) Section 3 shall be renamed "Vacancies and Concessions."
2) Clause 7 shall be added to Section 3 and read "Should a candidate or candidates be certified victorious in an at-large STV election and concede the seat prior to the date on which they are to swear-in, then the SoFE shall re-run the election without the conceding candidate(s) and all candidates who were elected in the original count. The winner or winners of the new count shall win the conceded seat(s).

Section 2: Title corrections
The following title-corrections shall be made to previous amendments:
1) F.L. 40-8, Amendment to the Proportional Representation Act, is hereby retitled Third Amendment to the Proportional Representation Act.
2) F.L. 42-1, Second Amendment to the Proportional Representation Act, is hereby retitled Fourth Amendment to the Proportional Representation Act.

Section 3: Removal of unnecessary amendment
1) F.L. 27-3, Proportional Representation (Class A seats) Act, is hereby repealed.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #941 on: September 22, 2011, 09:26:42 PM »

Selective Education Act

1. No federal funding of any kind may be diverted to provide assistance to privately owned and schools operating for students in grades K-12.
2. This act shall be interpreted to expressly prohibit "voucher" programs and any other subsidy to private school tuition.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #942 on: September 24, 2011, 03:34:25 PM »

The Pro Choice Act of 2011

The Republic of Atlasia hereby recognizes the independence of Georgia and Florida.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #943 on: September 25, 2011, 07:24:59 PM »

Cabinet Flexibility Amendment
1) Article V, Section 1, Clause 1 of the Third Constitution shall be amended to read "No person may simultaneously hold two or more offices of the Republic of Atlasia at any level of the government. An exception shall be made for members of the President's cabinet, who may serve multiple cabinet posts, but not in addition to any other office."
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #944 on: September 25, 2011, 07:27:49 PM »

The Republic of Atlasia hereby recognizes the independence of Georgia and Florida.

I am removing this as frivolous and unconstitutional. Sorry. Tongue
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #945 on: September 25, 2011, 09:58:51 PM »

I ask you to reconsider as only the supreme court can say with certainty what is and is not unconstitutional, and if I recall, are you not the author of many past bills that would be considered frivolous? Tongue
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #946 on: September 25, 2011, 11:41:09 PM »

I ask you to reconsider as only the supreme court can say with certainty what is and is not unconstitutional, and if I recall, are you not the author of many past bills that would be considered frivolous? Tongue

Let's consider several facts:
1) I inherited a sizable queue when I became PPT. I'm trying to get through as much of it as I can. The most recent bills I've started debate on were originally introduced in July.
2) People generally lose interest in secession movements pretty quickly. Given how long your bill would have to wait due to the rather large queue, the secession movements would have probably already ceased.
3) It has no chance of passing anyway.

So let's just save ourselves some time and not bother with that bill... Tongue
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #947 on: September 26, 2011, 03:21:28 PM »

Let's consider several facts:
1) I inherited a sizable queue when I became PPT. I'm trying to get through as much of it as I can. The most recent bills I've started debate on were originally introduced in July.
2) People generally lose interest in secession movements pretty quickly. Given how long your bill would have to wait due to the rather large queue, the secession movements would have probably already ceased.
3) It has no chance of passing anyway.

So let's just save ourselves some time and not bother with that bill... Tongue

Sorry, I stand with Jbrase. It's a ridiculous bill, yes, but it's not the PPT to decide what merits debate and what doesn't.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #948 on: September 27, 2011, 12:36:41 AM »

As a former thrice PPT, I have to side with bgwah atleast as far as his motivations go. The large queue's are big pain in the ass that slow down the Senate responsiveness to current issues. Typically you have a Senate that is really active and you get a lot of legislation, so much that the whole next Senate as well is spent passing last Senate's remaining legislation. A backlog got built up in the 42nd and we finally wiped it out by the end of the 43rd. Then it got built back up again in the 44th. 

@ Officepark
Mr. Big's actions here are completely legit as far as the OSPR is concerned.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #949 on: September 27, 2011, 03:34:24 PM »

Oh, now you say that? Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies