Partisan identification-- essence versus manifestation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:41:21 am
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Partisan identification-- essence versus manifestation
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Partisan identification-- essence versus manifestation  (Read 530 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2006, 10:32:20 pm »
« edited: May 09, 2006, 10:34:30 pm by thefactor »

You have heard the question "If a tree falls in the forest but nobody hears it..." this goes to the difference between the essence of something and the way it manifests itself.

I do not identify as a Democrat. I am not a Democrat. I see no point in calling myself as a Democrat. I am a member of no political party. But it would be dishonest of me. It would be dishonest of me to represent myself as an independent. My behavior is not independent. Yes, I have disagreements with the party, just like many Democrats have disagreements with the party. However, from behavior alone none would guess that I am an independent. Look at my signature for pete's sake.

I've decided to switch my avatar back to Democrat, even though Im not sure I will ever return to the party in my mind. Having a Democrat avatar gives those of you who do not know me more information about who I am, even though it is technically incorrect.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 09:10:05 am »

If it makes you feel better.

However, it's just a step backwards.  Lord knows I'm conservative on many key issues, but I don't resemble a Republican.  Like-wise, you are liberal on key issues, but you don't resemble a Democrat.  This is one of the reasons why I am so against the domination of our politics by two outdated dinosaurs.  It forces good people to put aside their true beliefs and just accept what is handed you as a representative.  Keep the light-green avatar, and stand up for what you believe in.  Give the finger to the Blues and Reds of the country and demand fair access to the political system for the third-parties out there.  Only that way will things ever improve in our country.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 09:16:02 am »

"If a tree falls in the forest but nobody hears it..."

My favorite version of that phrase is "If a man speaks in the forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?"

I agree with what MODO said, it would make more sense in my opinion to keep your avatar with whatever party you identify with (or with no party, as is the case here), though I can understand your logic.

Having your political matrix scores right below your avatar would be sufficient capsulation of your political views for someone who wants to know this immediately without reading your posts indepth.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 10:04:00 am »

Beet Smiley

You've always struck me as a Democrat Smiley but you nare what you are, not what I think you are

Dave
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies