Imminent Bloodbath in NM...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:39:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Imminent Bloodbath in NM...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Imminent Bloodbath in NM...  (Read 1348 times)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2006, 04:56:22 PM »

From here:

Tuesday, May 09, 2006
Here We Go Again; It's Big Billzilla; Guv Already Near $7 Million In Fundraising; R Damron Barely Registers, Plus: More From The Money Reports

We call him Big Bill. But today it's Dollar Bill. Despite a cakewalk of a re-elect, the incumbent Guv appears to be on his way to raising the astonishing sum of $10 million for his campaign, reporting Monday that he has already hit the $6.9 million mark and has over $5.5 million in cash. He raised $8 million in 02'. The news for the R's was equally dramatic, but in the opposite direction. Their Guv nominee-to-be, Santa Fe M.D. J.R. Damron, raised only $285,000 during the past year, and most of that he loaned himself. If you're doing the math, that's about a 24 to 1 spending advantage for Dollar Bill.

The reports covered the period May 1, 2005 through May 1 of this year. Here is the list of filings from the secretary of state. There will be one more report for the month of May on June 1, before the June 6 primary.

The Guv's big contributions came from a wide assortment. Presbyterian Health Plan gave a whopping $75,000. Los Alamitos Racetrack in California put up $10,000. The teachers union, NEA, gave $10.000. Major Friend of Bill Paul Blanchard, operator of the Downs at ABQ, kicked in $5,000. Lovelace Sandia hospital came through with another $10,000 and Texas insurance exec Mark McAndrew did them one better, writing a check for $20,000. Hollywood producer Norman Lear gave $4,000 and Don Henley of Eagles fame, $5,000.

The Guv also received $10 Grand in tobacco money from UST and more from other tobacco interests. Trial lawyer Turner Branch is in for at least $13,000. My Alligators counted at least $125,000 in contributions from booming energy related businesses in Lea county in the SE. Guess Big Bill's tough talk on oil companies hasn't stopped his personal oil gusher. (The Guv's complete report of donations and expenditures is on the sec. of state site linked above.)

STOP THE FIGHT!

Like a stoic soldier, Damron put up $190,000 of his own money to kick-start his campaign, but the overwhelming financial advantage of the Guv had the Alligators pleading for mercy. "Someone stop the fight," yelped one.

And where is Big Bill spending his largesse? Of the $1.2 million in expenditures, $37,500 went for polling and his campaign manager, Amanda Cooper, took in what appears to be about $10,000 a month. The Guv also spent well over $20,000 for an opposition research outfit, apparently to look into Damron's background. Maybe they found something, but I'm still looking for a heartbeat.

The Guv also wrote nearly $5,000 in checks to ABQ private investigator and onetime state House hopeful Michael Corwin. Did he find J.R? Of course, Damron could turn the tables and start connecting the dots between campaign contributions received and legislation introduced or passed. Oh, I forgot. One has nothing to do with the other. Sorry.

Here's a fun one. The NM Dental Association PAC gave Big Bill $14,000. That association's executive is none other than ABQ GOP State Senator Kent Cravens. Politics can be an awkward dance, Kent.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow. I have mentioned before how inept the NM GOP is, but when they can't even fund their own candidates...
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 08:30:32 PM »

WMS, do you have any idea why Richardson is raising so much? I would assume it can't be transferred to a Presidential campaign or future Senate run, right?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 09:33:16 PM »

WMS, do you have any idea why Richardson is raising so much? I would assume it can't be transferred to a Presidential campaign or future Senate run, right?

Of course he can.

And he definitely ain't running for Senate anytime in the future, so do the math.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 09:39:56 PM »

Of course he can.

And he definitely ain't running for Senate anytime in the future, so do the math.

Ok, I wasn't aware of that. I think he would make a good candidate for President.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 10:08:06 PM »

If he drops about 50 lbs...  He looks terribly sloppy these days.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 10:25:12 PM »

If he drops about 50 lbs...  He looks terribly sloppy these days.

Quite true. Appearance does matter.

Also, he was a trade lobbyist for Chinese economic interests (slave labor) with Henry Kissinger before he became Governor of New Mexico.  Disgusting.
MissCatholic

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 04:47:03 AM »

Richardson has too many skeletons in his closet. he is a great vp considerring his location but his negatives override his state winning appeal..
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 05:56:13 AM »

They CAN found their candidate. They CHOOSE not to because a) they don't believe he can win if he spends it all and/or b) they don't mind Richardson winning.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 02:40:13 PM »

They CAN found their candidate. They CHOOSE not to because a) they don't believe he can win if he spends it all and/or b) they don't mind Richardson winning.

Some from column A, some from column B. Wink

And the entire state knows he's raising money to run for President in 2008.

As for the weight, he had a funny line at a recent college graduation. He was referring to his first race against Manuel Lujan in NM-1 back in 1980..."I was young, naive, and skinny." Grin
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies