What if there was an electoral disaster?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:50:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  What if there was an electoral disaster?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if there was an electoral disaster?  (Read 4971 times)
zachman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2004, 05:07:16 PM »

What if the a group of 50 electors for the winning candidate were murdered by terrorists a week before they cast their ballots. The result would be no electoral majority. Would the Supreme Court intervene, or would the election be sent to Congress?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 07:17:19 AM »

What if the a group of 50 electors for the winning candidate were murdered by terrorists a week before they cast their ballots. The result would be no electoral majority. Would the Supreme Court intervene, or would the election be sent to Congress?

The state would select new electors. It is that simple.
Only if it has a method and enough time for that...However, I can't see Congress going against the will of the people in such a case.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 06:09:44 PM »

Under the Constitution, the states define their method of appointing electors.   Most (all?) states have a method for filling vacancies, including electors not being able to get to the meeting location in their state.  Generally, the other electors choose replacements.  I think there were some electors in Minnesota that were not able to get to St Paul to cast their electoral vote in 2000, and they were replaced.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 02:22:54 PM »

The states would pick new electors. If all else failed, surely the Supreme Court would intervene and make sure that common sense prevailed here, and that the candidate would get all of his/her electoral votes that they were entitled to.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 02:24:50 PM »

The states would pick new electors. If all else failed, surely the Supreme Court would intervene and make sure that common sense prevailed here, and that the candidate would get all of his/her electoral votes that they were entitled to.
ummm ya sure they would........
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 09:40:35 AM »

Hehe, I understand the cynicism, but I can't honestly see the Supreme Court allowing the candidate who lost the Electoral Vote to win on a technicality because some of the Electors died.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 09:57:57 AM »

ummm ya sure they would........

Are you the President of this new morons club?

Things that make you go hmm.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 06:43:23 PM »

President Nym90, Senator texasgurl24 is correct with having cynicism. I don't trust the Supreme Court anymore (not since they ruled McCain-Feingold legal). Somehow Don't believe those 9 robed justices have enough honor to let political preference be sacrificed for justice. Whichever party has a Supreme Court majority would win the election in such an electoral disaster in my opinion.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 10:51:24 PM »

The court is currently 7-2 in the Republicans favor, although Bush v. Gore was 5-4.
cwelsch

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2004, 07:26:35 PM »

In the event that a group of electors was murdered, the state or states that appointed them could come in for an emergency session and declare that their electoral votes go to the winning candidate.

The only state with 50 electors is California (well, 55, but maybe 5 survived) so it'd have to be a collection of several different states' electors or a coordinated effort in different locations.  Regardless, the state could just send the electoral votes to the right candidate if it didn't have any electors.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 10:28:32 PM »

I disagree the Supreme Court would step in if a sufficient number of states simply lacked contigency plans to replace electors.  It's supposed to go to the House, and that's where it would go.  And if they valued their lives, much less their jobs, they'd be sure to overwhelmingly elect the victor decided on election night, regardless of party disparity.
Even if they didn't, someone would have to blow up the House of Representatives too before the Court would step in.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2004, 04:24:55 AM »

I would think that some of the electors from the losing candidate would cross over to give the winner 270. It would just be the right thing to do, I suppose.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies