Constitutional Convention Resolution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:10:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Constitutional Convention Resolution  (Read 5529 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2006, 10:37:44 AM »

This is bumped up and in the 5th slot as it's an important part of forum affairs.

Whereas, the Mideast, Southeast, and Pacific Regions have applied for a Convention to amend the Constitution:

1. The Senate advises and consents to the calling of a Convention to amend the Constitution.
2. The President of Atlasia and the Governors of the Regions shall each appoint three delegates to the Convention.
3. The Convention may, with a two-thirds majority, expel a delegate for inactivity.
4. The Convention shall discuss the system of government (parliamentary vs. presidential), election rules and voting rights.
5. If the Convention decides to adopt a parliamentary system the Senate urges the Convention to use the system found here: https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/User:Pete_bell/Parliamentary_system along with an interim period.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 09:45:12 AM »

This is bumped up and in the 5th slot as it's an important part of forum affairs.

Whereas, the Mideast, Southeast, and Pacific Regions have applied for a Convention to amend the Constitution:

1. The Senate advises and consents to the calling of a Convention to amend the Constitution.
2. The President of Atlasia and the Governors of the Regions shall each appoint three delegates to the Convention.
3. The Convention may, with a two-thirds majority, expel a delegate for inactivity.
4. The Convention shall discuss the system of government (parliamentary vs. presidential), election rules and voting rights.
5. If the Convention decides to adopt a parliamentary system the Senate urges the Convention to use the system found here: https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/User:Pete_bell/Parliamentary_system along with an interim period.

Why would we have a convention that only discussed one issue? I thought it would be restricted, but a parliamentary system can be easily handled through the senate since it i just one topic. 
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 10:10:08 AM »

Why would we have a convention that only discussed one issue? I thought it would be restricted, but a parliamentary system can be easily handled through the senate since it i just one topic. 

It was already discussed in the Senate and voted down but some people want it here so here it is again. And there is also election rules and voting rights to be discussed.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 05:44:48 PM »

Clause 4 seems out of place.  The Senate should not recommend an agenda for the convention.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 07:18:44 PM »

Clause 4 seems out of place.  The Senate should not recommend an agenda for the convention.

I must agree with the Vice President. It seems outside of the Senate's power to dictate the actual changes many by such a convention. It can recommend changes as per its duty to advise and consent but I do not believe that it can dictate the duties of the convention itself.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 08:27:32 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2006, 08:29:21 PM by Supersoulty »

Not that it matters, but I am absolutly opposed to this.  In order to make a paliment work, assuming I thought one was a good idea anyway, we would need far more people than we have to create the number and variety of districts that would be needed.  If one person is to be PM, we would therefore need at least 20 MP's to make it interesting.  In which case we would need at least 10 districts (though there should be 20), which we don't have enough voters to support.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 09:32:46 PM »

As part of this Convention, I'd very much like to see citizens Smiley allowed to propose amendments or additions to the Constitution for the Convention to consider and vote upon as to their inclusion (we don't want anything frivilous) before it goes to the Regions for ratification

As to whether this would be permissable, I don't know and I, therefore, request clarification as to whether it would or wouldn't be

Also can Convention appointees by the President or the Governors include members of the Senate or not?

'Hawk'
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 05:39:59 AM »

As to whether this would be permissable, I don't know and I, therefore, request clarification as to whether it would or wouldn't be
It is certainly permissible for non-members of the Convention to suggest amendments. However, I would assume that the Convention retains the power to ignore frivolous proposals.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Yes, it can, but I would hope that the President and the Governors appoint several non-Senators as well.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 06:23:51 PM »

It is certainly permissible for non-members of the Convention to suggest amendments. However, I would assume that the Convention retains the power to ignore frivolous proposals.

It's just that I may have one or two amendments I'd like the Convention to consider

I agree the Convention should include some senators as well as others

It's just that if I'm not appointed (I'm not actively seeking to be appointed), I'd still like to contribute

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 12:15:54 PM »

I hereby open up the final vote on this resolution. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 12:16:23 PM »

Aye
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2006, 12:27:06 PM »

Aye on the assumption that citizens can propose amendments or additions to the Convention for it to consider

'Hawk'
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2006, 04:31:26 PM »

Again I beseach this Senate to remove the statement in Clause 4 defining the specific issues to be addressed by such a convention. While, as I said above, the Senate has a right to advise that the convention consider these issues, in its role as an advisory panel, but not to mandate that the convention only touch upon these issues. While this is already being voted upon I would like to again bring these dissentions to the Senate and to the President concerning my belief on the legality and right of the Senate to state official matters for the convention to be concerned with.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2006, 05:00:48 PM »

I agree 100% with Colin Wixted.  I don't see why Section 4 was ever included in the first place.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2006, 05:21:58 PM »

Aye. Though I humbly urge the president to use his line-item veto on clause four.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2006, 05:23:27 PM »

I am inclined to agree with President Ebowed and Justice Wixed. The Senate, I believe, should not have the authority to define what can or cannot be discussed at a Constitutional Convention. All constitutional matters from the minor to the most important should be on the agenda if it is so wished This should be at the Conventions discretion and not at the discretion of the Senate.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 02:48:20 AM »

I motion to strike clause 4 based on the comments presented.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 07:06:26 AM »

As with Senator Gabu, I concur with the view expressed by Justice Wixted, the President and Governor Afleitch. On reflection, I believe Clause 4 should be stricken from this Resolution for the reasons they have stated

Basically, I would like non-Convention members to submit proposals (i.e. amendments or additions to the Constitution) for the Convention to consider. I trust the Convention once convened will have no problems in allowing this

I will support the Senator's motion to strike Clause 4 from the Resolution

'Hawk'
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2006, 09:31:44 AM »

It's just that I may have one or two amendments I'd like the Convention to consider

It's just that if I'm not appointed (I'm not actively seeking to be appointed), I'd still like to contribute

'Hawk'

This is a rather delayed response, but I don't believe senators should be actual members of the convention.  They should absolutel be able to advise the convention and propose things, but the original purpose of the convention was to give the common citizen the right to amend the constitution.  Having the senate sit in and vote kind of defeats the purpose, I believe.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2006, 09:43:20 AM »

'Hawk'

This is a rather delayed response, but I don't believe senators should be actual members of the convention.  They should absolutel be able to advise the convention and propose things, but the original purpose of the convention was to give the common citizen the right to amend the constitution.  Having the senate sit in and vote kind of defeats the purpose, I believe.

I don't believe the Senate should dominate the convention, but I disagree that they should be excluded. If you eliminate all federal officeholders, you're eliminating many of the most active and most knowlegable members.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2006, 10:00:45 AM »

'Hawk'

I don't believe the Senate should dominate the convention, but I disagree that they should be excluded. If you eliminate all federal officeholders, you're eliminating many of the most active and most knowlegable members.

I didn't say eliminate them, I just don't think that the 10 senators should have the right to vote there, since they'll be voting on the convention anyway afterwards.  Like I said, they should advise and propose, but not be delegates.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2006, 10:03:23 AM »

I understood what you said. I disagree.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2006, 10:04:30 AM »

'Hawk'

I didn't say eliminate them, I just don't think that the 10 senators should have the right to vote there, since they'll be voting on the convention anyway afterwards.  Like I said, they should advise and propose, but not be delegates.

I understood what you said. I disagree.

Why do you believe they must vote?  You think they should get two votes?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2006, 10:34:20 AM »

I've stated by position and rationale to the Senators. As I do not wish to overstay my welcome in their chambers and clutter up the thread, I'm leaving it at that and not entering into a debate with you here. My advice to you is that, since I nor the Senators have any power to nominate delegates, you lobby the President and Governors.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 10:12:45 AM »

The motion can't be stricken now.

There's 3 Ayes and that's it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies