What about Mike Easley...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:16:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  What about Mike Easley...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What about Mike Easley...  (Read 10573 times)
SCDem07
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2006, 10:11:39 PM »

The moderate Democratic leader of North Carolina.  He is successful in a "red state," why isn't he considering a run?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 10:13:55 PM »

I don't know a lot about him, but it seems like he'd be a strong candidate. Is he charismatic?

A moderate charismatic Southerner gives the Democrats the best chance for victory.
SCDem07
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.74

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 10:16:44 PM »

Yes, if you look at Dave's data on the state, many traditionally Republican counties voted for Easley against Ballantine in '04.  Something about the man was able to charm them, so maybe that would work in other red states.  Mike Easley would be a great candidate because you're right.  We (democrats) need a moderate Southerner with some liberal credentials and loads of charisma.  I believe Easley fits the bill, but I don't know if he has any desire to run.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 10:31:16 PM »

Yes, if you look at Dave's data on the state, many traditionally Republican counties voted for Easley against Ballantine in '04.  Something about the man was able to charm them, so maybe that would work in other red states.  Mike Easley would be a great candidate because you're right.  We (democrats) need a moderate Southerner with some liberal credentials and loads of charisma.  I believe Easley fits the bill, but I don't know if he has any desire to run.

If nothing else he could be a good VP choice. Maybe a Warner/Easley ticket would work; two moderate Southerners from adjoining states worked for us in 1992.

I would think that a Warner/Easley ticket would win Virginia (except against Allen) and would have a pretty good chance in North Carolina. Tennessee, Arkansas, West Virginia and Louisiana would also be very competitive.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 10:33:15 PM »

Easley has had approval rating hits lately.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 09:19:33 PM »

I don't know a lot about him, but it seems like he'd be a strong candidate. Is he charismatic?

A moderate charismatic Southerner gives the Democrats the best chance for victory.

no he isnt charasmatic.  to say the least, he isnt a people person.  he is awkward on the stump and makes the least amount of public appearances as possible.

many democrats dont like him because he isnt a 'party man'.  i doubt he could care less if democrats win or lose.

that being said, i like easley and i voted for him (once).

ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 11:33:03 AM »

Easley is suffering for some of the underhanded tactics he used to get a lottery passed and the deceit he used in describing the use of the lottery money
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 05:14:42 PM »

We (democrats) need a moderate Southerner with some liberal credentials and loads of charisma.  I believe Easley fits the bill, but I don't know if he has any desire to run.

Edwards fits the exact credentials you just layed out. Do you think he could be an effective candidate as well? I don't.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 05:17:39 PM »

Edwards would be better, I think, although I don't know much about Easley. I do know that he's not a bastard like Bredesen is.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 05:26:02 PM »

Easley isn't very charismatic from what I've heard, although I've never really heard him speak.  Also I really can't see him running.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 07:58:42 PM »

itd be very hard for easley to win the nomination, since most democrat primary voters these days are little jferns.  easley totally avoids social issues.  although he is very vocal when it comes to his support of the death penalty (being a former prosecutor and AG)

in a general election, hed be damn tough to beat.  his ideology is virtually the same as bill clinton's.  he is pro-business, strongly pro-education, etc etc.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 11:53:02 AM »

We (democrats) need a moderate Southerner with some liberal credentials and loads of charisma.  I believe Easley fits the bill, but I don't know if he has any desire to run.

Edwards fits the exact credentials you just layed out. Do you think he could be an effective candidate as well? I don't.
Edwards fails the "loads of charisma" test. What an oily prick - he's almost a Bush Light, except without the lap of luxury childhood.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 03:39:22 PM »

Easley has said he isn't considering running at all.  If he was, we'd have heard of him by now. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 03:47:28 PM »

Easley has said he isn't considering running at all.  If he was, we'd have heard of him by now. 

i dont expect easley to ever run for any office again (even us senate)

he would be an excellent cabinet appointee in a dem administration...sec of education or commerce would be ideal.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 03:51:34 PM »

he would be an excellent cabinet appointee in a dem administration...sec of education or commerce would be ideal.

I know I think he has widely let it be known he isn't interested in any sort of office - which is a shame for Democrats as he could be a credible Senate candidate in 2008 or 2010. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 03:54:37 PM »

I know I think he has widely let it be known he isn't interested in any sort of office - which is a shame for Democrats as he could be a credible Senate candidate in 2008 or 2010. 

i would guess that someone like bob etheridge would be the democrat front runner for us senate in 08 or 10.  he has won statewide before (granted it was a much lower office.)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 03:58:30 PM »

I'm now wondering if Elizabeth Dole will run for re-election in 2008.  She will be 72 then, she hasn't done a good job at the NRSC and if the Democrats retake the Senate she would spend a long time in minority.  If so 2008 would be interesting and there seems to be quite a good Democratic bench in the state.  However, even if she didn't run in a presidential year the Republican candidate would be favoured. 

Richard Burr is up in 2010 and right now his ratings are not good but who can say what it will be like in four years time? 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 04:08:48 PM »

I'm now wondering if Elizabeth Dole will run for re-election in 2008.  She will be 72 then, she hasn't done a good job at the NRSC and if the Democrats retake the Senate she would spend a long time in minority.  If so 2008 would be interesting and there seems to be quite a good Democratic bench in the state.  However, even if she didn't run in a presidential year the Republican candidate would be favoured. 

Richard Burr is up in 2010 and right now his ratings are not good but who can say what it will be like in four years time? 

it would be interesting if dole doesnt run for reelection.  someone like richard moore would have to think long and hard on whether he we would want to challenge beverly perdue for the democrat governor's nomination or run for senate.  again, i think etheridge would be the front runner on the democrat side.

thered be a ton of republicans lining up to run for an open seat.  patrick ballantine and sue myrick immediately come to mind.

richard burr will be in good shape.  he fits the state well.  i think most of his negative numbers is due to the fact that the republicans have had a bad couple of years.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 01:45:21 PM »

it would be interesting if dole doesnt run for reelection.  someone like richard moore would have to think long and hard on whether he we would want to challenge beverly perdue for the democrat governor's nomination or run for senate.  again, i think etheridge would be the front runner on the democrat side.

thered be a ton of republicans lining up to run for an open seat.  patrick ballantine and sue myrick immediately come to mind.

richard burr will be in good shape.  he fits the state well.  i think most of his negative numbers is due to the fact that the republicans have had a bad couple of years.

But both Etheridge and Myrick will be 67 in 2008.  I know that Myrick has already ruled out a run for the Governor's mansion; I think either Mike McIntyre or Brad Miller would be good Senate candidates for the Democrats.  The Republican field would be wide enough as it is.

What are your thoughts on if Dole does run again; will she face a competetive race or not? 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 07:12:02 AM »

Easley's would probably defer running for president in his home state to John Edwards.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 11:06:12 AM »

I hope to God that Dole steps down. Ballantine 2008.  Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies