LIGHTNING ROUND
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:45:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  LIGHTNING ROUND
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: LIGHTNING ROUND  (Read 6635 times)
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2004, 05:07:30 PM »

Abortion: Support only in 1st trimester.

Gay Marriage: Civil Unions, government benefits, not marriage. that's church business.

Guns: Background Checks, ban assault weapons. Otherwise, leave them alone.

The World: Is good.

Iraq: Extremely unlikely to create a stable country here unless we are present with numerous troops and pour in more money for a few years. We need to fight terrorism OUTSIDE of Iraq.

Kerry: Will NOT ruin the country, John D Ford. Our terrorism policy will stay the course no matter who's president.

Health Care: Implement new ideas, focus on people obtaining GOOD health, not managing every disease they get because of their own mismanagement of their body.

Social Security: Good, maybe explore privatizing. Don't know enough about it

AA: Not a good thing, but necessary sometimes. I'd rather get rid of it, though.

Immigration: Better enforcement on the borders, even though that's not as easy as it sounds. Support fingerprinting, photos, etc etc for immigrants who come in. Keep an extremely close watch on all immigration, but don't discourage it.

Enviornment: Just don't !@#$ it up too bad, please.

Death Penalty: Support in principle, but it cannot work fairly. Repeal it.

Preemptive Strike: Against, unless there is solid, concrete, "smoking gun" evidence that there is a direct threat against the United States, and we're in big danger.

Free Trade: with the exception of North Korea, etc, it's great.

Patriot Act: Support somewhat, oppose somewhat. It's not the end of the world, and even if you do have nothing to hide, I don't want the government looking through everything I've done.

TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2004, 05:45:52 PM »

Abortion: Support in first trimester and in cases of rape, incest, health, and where the mother's life is in danger.

Gay Marriage: Oppose Gay Marriage but in favor of civil unions.

Guns: Hunting rifles only.  Support assualt weapons ban

The World:  Bush f-ed up there.  Need to make peace

Iraq:  It's great Saddam's gone, but who's next?  I opposed the invasion from the beginning   This was not for freedom obviously.  There are more rogue nations than Iraq whe could have taken care of.

John Kerry:  Still not 100% impressing me, but a hell of a lot better than Bush.  His flip-flops are on insignificant issues and on economic and foreign matters, I think he's better.

GWB:  Nice guy, but he's a dunce.  The people around him are @ssholes.  Sorry George W. no more years.

Health Care: Universal with appropriate co-pays, deductibles.

Social Security:  Generally government run.  Support lock-box measure with 10% private investment.  

Affirmative Action:  There needs to be a level playing field, but not via quotas.  Hard to say.

Immigration: Support it, but there must be work in critical areas such as agriculture.  People that come over to be freeloaders should go home.

Environment:  Bush needs to tighten up standards.  

Death Penalty:  Opposed except for terrorists, cop killers, and extreme cases with substantially proven DNA.

Preemptive Strike:  There must be proof of a clear and present danger.  

Free Trade: Support with friendly countries that take labor and environment into consideration.  Crack down on India and China dictating to us their policies.  Also, make tax code unfavorable to move to certain countries.

Patriot Act:  Strongly Opposed
kfseattle
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2004, 06:09:25 PM »

Abortion:  Pro-choice.
Gay Marriage:  Government should only recognize civil unions...leave marriage to religious institutions.
Guns:  Support 2nd amendment
The World:  Pretty corrupt
Iraq:  The greatest recruitment tool for terrorists ever.
Saddam was not a threat.  Actively opposed the war.
John Kerry:  I hope he wins.
GWB:  I hope he loses.
Health Care:  Universal, free, and efficient.
Social Security:  Against privitization.
Affirmative Action:  Yes.  Not forever, but we still need it.
Immigration:  Every immigrant I've worked with (they have been many) has been a hard working, law-abiding person who was genuinely grateful to be here.  Let them in.
Death Penalty:  No judicial system is good enough for it.  
Preemptive Strike:  Oh, this is a pet-peave.  There is a difference between a "preemptive strike" and a "preventive" one.  Preemption is attacking your attacker before he attacks you.  Prevention is attacking someone who isn't attacking you because you think he will attack you at some unknown time in the future.  I support "preemtive" strikes, but not "preventive" ones like Iraq War II.
Free Trade:  It can raise people's living standards, and has to varying degrees around the world.  However, it needs to be made fair.  I don't like giant multi-nationals controlling everything.  I don't like NAFTA, and have personally lobbied against CAFTA.
Patriot Act:  The intelligence community shouldn't need it if they were good at what they're supposed to do.

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2004, 06:21:40 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2004, 06:31:25 PM by nclib »

Abortion: Support abortion rights throughout pregnancy. Against Partial-Birth Abortion ban.

Gay Marriage: Support gay marriage.

Guns: This country would be safer with fewer guns.

The World:  The best place I've ever lived. Wink

Seriously, I think electing Kerry would improve relations with the rest of the world.

Iraq:  Things are getting ugly there. I opposed the invasion from the beginning. We were not fighting for freedom, but for imperialism.

John Kerry:  Not a great candidate, but I'll hands down support him over Bush.

GWB:  racist, sexist, homophobic, militant, anti-intellectual, dishonest.

Health Care: Universal health care should be considered.

Social Security: Against privatization.

Affirmative Action:  AA is necessary due to past (and current)  racial and gender discrimination.

Immigration: We are a nation of immigrants. Immigration should be tolerated and enhances American culture.

Environment:  Higher standards needed.  

Death Penalty:  Against capital punishment.

Preemptive Strike:  Only in the case of a clear danger.  

Free Trade: Workers' rights need to be protected.

Patriot Act:  Strongly opposed.

Other issues:

Judges: Dems should filibuster any ultra-conservative nominee. Bush is trying to pack the courts. Imagine the Right's reaction if Gore had barely won in 2000 and tried to push through far-leftist nominees. Also, Bush's recess appointments were an abuse of power.

Education: Against vouchers, corporal punishment, Pledge of Allegiance, school prayer. Support comprehensive sex education.

Women's rights: Give gender discrimination the same level of scrutiny as racial discrimination.

Dissent: Dissent should be tolerated in a democracy. The Bush administration has done too much to suppress dissent.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2004, 08:19:47 PM »

Abortion: Support abortions only in the first tri-mester or in cases of rape, incest, or if the Mother's life is in danger.

Gay Marriage: Support Civil Unions

Guns: Support background checks and gun locks on all new guns

Taxes Cut them for everybody. It's an investment in our citizens. This includes cutting Bussiness and Sales Taxes thus in theory making things less expensive.

The World: As always it's a balance of good and bad and different shades of gray

Iraq: I still believe they had WMD's but they are either hidden or have been smuggled to another country and I feel the world is a better place without Saddam being in charge of a country

John Kerry: A decent but very arrogant man who served his country in vietnam... However, In my opinion he'd make a less then decent President

George W. Bush: A good guy who prooved himself after 9/11... I just wish he'd be a bit more to the center and have more charisma.

Health Care: Public Health Care for Children and Seniors

Social Security: Privatize it.

Affirmative Action: Against racial AA... Considering the concept of financial based AA

Immigration: I generally support immigration... But our immigration laws must be followed and steps must be taken to keep those who endanger our country out.

Environment: I'm for finding/inventing newer, cleaner, and cheaper energy sources

Death Penalty: As long as someone has been convicted by a jury that they killed someone in cold blood beyond a reasonable doubt I'm fall for it.

Preemptive Strike:  If there is a logical reason to attack then by all means attack.

Free Trade: I'm for free trade with countries that treat their people decently.

Patriot Act:  In a post 9/11 world I think some of the things in the Patriot Act are needed.

Space Exploration I like Bushes plan a lot.
struct310
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2004, 09:38:58 PM »

I wonder if the republicans on the board are in my generation, the younger one I mean because theres a lot supporting at least civil unions for gays, and some are even, pro-choice.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2004, 09:47:38 PM »

I wonder if the republicans on the board are in my generation, the younger one I mean because theres a lot supporting at least civil unions for gays, and some are even, pro-choice.

I think it's mixed. A few of the younger posters are, in fact, pretty conservative. But for Republicans on here, there are, what I can tell, three groups: a Libertarian wing as well as a wing that outside northeast GOP standards would probably be Democratic. There is also a mainstream conservative wing, but they're in the minority, it seems.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2004, 10:45:46 PM »

Which generation would that be? I was born in '86 myself just voted in my first primary a few months ago.
kfseattle
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2004, 02:38:24 AM »

young people in general are much more supportive of equal rights for gay people than older folks.
Our culture (i was born in '83) is just totally different than the one you older folks grew up in.
I'm glad the times have changed.  One big reason I think conservatives want to bring up the gay issue now (re: constitutional ban on gay marriage) is because they know that the support for it will be dying off pretty rapidly here.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2004, 03:06:39 AM »

young people in general are much more supportive of equal rights for gay people than older folks.
Our culture (i was born in '83) is just totally different than the one you older folks grew up in.
I'm glad the times have changed.  One big reason I think conservatives want to bring up the gay issue now (re: constitutional ban on gay marriage) is because they know that the support for it will be dying off pretty rapidly here.

That is true.  I'm much more socially liberal than my parents especially my father though in some ways my mother actually beats me.  Once you have a family, it all changes I'm sure.
struct310
Rookie

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2004, 04:34:33 AM »

That is true.  I'm much more socially liberal than my parents especially my father though in some ways my mother actually beats me.  Once you have a family, it all changes I'm sure.

Me 84, so yep were alike somewhat, i wouldnt necessarily say im more socially liberal, i dont ever want to be termed that, nor social conservative, ughh.  My gay english teacher at ASU wondered how is it that I support gay marriage and not abortion and all these other liberal things. Its more of a since im thinking christian thing(not to say i dont respect an anti'my view view).  You see, some religious leaders(notice how im not saying religious right) in the country like to build themselves up and claim certain activities are sins.  But look at the pastors, they condemn gays, yet the pastors themselves are gluttons.  How hypocritical is that?  Gays go to church and love god, just as much and sometimes more than others.  Will it really bother the people that much if they marry?  Its not very Christian to be so fearful of such a thing, gays arent going to bust down the chapel walls, or gasp, hit on the parson.  And Conservatives didnt bring up the issue, liberals did in San Francisco when they broke the law.  No matter how the issue played out, the county broke the law.  There wouldnt be such fervor without the incident.  I think gays would be more truly accepted with conservatives than with liberals, because liberals only want their vote.        
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2004, 02:19:28 PM »

I think it's mixed. A few of the younger posters are, in fact, pretty conservative. But for Republicans on here, there are, what I can tell, three groups: a Libertarian wing as well as a wing that outside northeast GOP standards would probably be Democratic. There is also a mainstream conservative wing, but they're in the minority, it seems.

I'm not sure where you get the last wing, really...there are die-hard conservatives, socioconservatives, libertarians, lib-fascists and moderates, I'd say.
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2004, 02:41:08 PM »

Abortion-pro-choice, should be discouraged though
Gay Marriage-Yes
Guns-hunting only
Taxes-nessessary
The World-Yes!
John Kerry-incompetent
GW-incompetent
Health Care-for everyone
Social Security-needs fixing, no privitization
Affirmative Action-based on class
Immigration-good
Environment-very important to protect in time
Preemptive Strike-in few cases
Free Trade-okay, but need to be very cautious
Patriot Act-No!
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2004, 06:23:40 PM »

Abortion: strongly against

Gay Marriage: No on gay marriage, undecided on civil unions

Guns: pro-second amendment but for background checks and a short waiting period

Taxes: a necessary evil, close loopholes and simplify tax code

Iraq: support for humanitarian reasons

The World: I plan on living here for a while longer

John Kerry: Too liberal for my tastes

G.W. Bush: Better than the alternatives

Health Care: Emergency care for everyone, privatized health care after that

Social Security: Needs fixing before Baby Boomers retire, for some privatization

Affirmative Action: End race-based, some class based is OK

Immigration: Come on down! (Legally of course)

Environment: Gradually increase standards

Preemptive Strike: As long as there is a need for it

Free trade: For in most cases

Patriot Act: Do away with some of the secrecy, but if it keeps America safer, I'm for it

Death penalty: Reserve for the most serious cases

Education: for school-vouchers in places where public schools are failing, leave education to the states for the most part
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2004, 11:57:55 PM »

Paging John Ford: you said I wasn't a populist, so please look at this and give me your opinion on what you think I am, anyway...I'm quite curious...

OK, let's see...hmm, I've written a lot. You have been warned! Smiley

Abortion: First of all, leave to the states, not the feds, so anti-Roe v. Wade. Personally, very opposed in most cases. Exceptions for rape/incest/life of the mother definitely if sadly in first trimester or so, very reluctantly in second trimester, and life of the mother only for third trimester. I don't think abortion should ever be a casual decision or used as birth control. And let's not even get started on partial-birth abortions - the issue which showed how loony the left has gotten. On a related note, I strongly support birth control to reduce abortions and the morning-after pill is fine by me.

Gay Marriage: *ahem* Leave to the states, not the feds. And within my state, I back civil unions with darn near all the same rights as marriages - but I am undecided on adoption. Htmldon had an interesting idea here...

Guns: Fine by me. Banning guns only gives a monopoly on them to criminals, and it's your bloody right to have them. You should have to take a training course for them, though. And a little common-sense - do you really need rocket launchers?

Taxes: Really needs reform. Abolish the dreadful payroll taxes NOW and fix the alternative minimum tax NOW. Past that, reduce as much as possible, but balance the frickin' budget first! Close almost every loophole (OK, the mortgage deduction serves a valid purpose, as do education deductions, but look at everything else), and while some taxes are going to be needed, reduce government inefficiency and waste so you don't need as much tax revenue.

Iraq: Good idea - I have better (and damn expensive) sources than most, so I know why we really did this (to put the U.S. in a position to squeeze the Saudis, Syrians, and Iranians to force them to tackle Al Qaida; to show the Arab and Islamic world we mean business and are NOT going to back down from this war; and, yes, to secure WMD). However, this administration has really ed up the aftermath of it - Donald "What Guerrilla War?" Rumsfeld should resign on grounds of incompetence (no *located* WMD, too few troops used, failure to foresee a guerrilla war) along with George "What? Al Qaida? Here?" Tenet. And I still back the war in Iraq, so put those torches away, conservatives...I just want it to be run *better*.

The World: Needs to get the anti-American stick out of its a$$. Honestly, do you people even listen to yourselves? Are you that bloody blind to the threat of Islamism?

John Kerry: Decent guy, would make a mediocre president, too socially liberal for me.

G.W. Bush: Decent guy, is a mediocre president, and has a few months to convince me he isn't incompetent in either fiscal or foreign matters. Else I vote Libertarian or Constitution.

Health Care: Covered on another topic, but neither a laissez-faire market supporter nor a socialized medicine supporter. A combination of public and private agencies could cover everyone. I like muon2's federalist ideas on this, mixed with John Ford's. Or in short - we can do better than what we currently have.

Social Security: Partially privatize so people like me have an actual stake in it. Currently, the payroll tax bites my paycheck pretty hard to pay for some seniors NOW, regardless of how much they actually need the help. Means test it, raise the age, restrict boomer benefits to the same levels as their parents (an idea of Matthew Miller, the "smart liberal" at http://www.mattmilleronline.com/ ), but stop kissing the a$$es of the geezers! That goes double for you Democrats...

Affirmative Action: Totally opposed to any race-based or ethnic-based AA. Total equalitarian - no one should be given either advantages or disadvantages because of their race.  For purposes of educational acceptance and financial aid for schools, some class-based AA is okay.

Immigration: If you're here legally and want to work, welcome! Do learn English, since it is the de facto national language of communication and after all, if you wanted to live just like in your own country, why are you here?

If you're here illegally, leave. If you've been working, I'll even calculate the difference between the taxes you've contributed vs. the benefits you've received first (ya, it's hard to do) and pay you back any tax money in excess of your benefits. I'll even try to get you back to your hometown. But considering how much I'm going to militarize the borders, don't come back through the back door...go apply legally! But, if you've been leeching off the public weal, throwing piss balloons at American soccer/football players, chanting for Osama at those same soccer/football rallies, celebrate, oh, say, Cinco de Mayo far more than the Fourth of July, or otherwise show no real desire to become an American, then start running now, for I'm going to expel you on the spot.

Environment: Balance business/labor and environmental needs. The environment is important, but returning the earth to a state before there was a trace of civilization is idiotic. And on that note, screw the Kyoto Accords. Pay attention internationalists and those from other countries: We are NOT going to fall on our sword for a bunch of countries that piss and moan about America, if not outright oppose it. The Kyoto Accords are so anti-American that even when I was a liberal back in the mid-1990's I opposed them - along with damn near every Senator and Representative. If you want America to reduce its emissions, then you'd better get more flexible on the means very soon.

Preemptive Strike: Sometimes required, especially when the world/UN opposes you simply because they want to hurt the U.S. National security may require this, but be careful when you use it and, for that matter, how about planning a strategy beyond 'we win and they greet us with flowers and everything goes perfectly'.

Free trade: Suspicious of how "free" it really is. I back fair trade with protections for workers, NOT unrestricted free trade with countries that export like hell to America but close their markets to American products. *cough*Japan*cough *China*cough*etc. Trade should benefit many people, not a few CEO's who move to Bermuda to avoid paying any taxes.

Patriot Act: Mixed - Some parts were badly needed, some parts haven't worked well at all. Reform it already.

Death penalty: Leave to the states. Personally, I support it with no moral qualms. My only caveat is that I *really* want a full review of the legal process involved (incompetent defence attorneys, etc.). Of course, I want to reform quite a bit about the American legal system, and this is a good place to start, don't you think?

Education: NCLB has turned into the worst of all things, an unfunded federal mandate. If you're going to do this, FUND it properly! I totally support vouchers, since I believe that students should not be trapped in failing schools because a bunch of leftists in the NEA are terrified of competition. Tax credits are probably a good way to fund vouchers, since that doesn't 'take money away from the public schools'. I'm pretty supportive of decentralized school districts, since the enormous one here in Albuquerque is a case study in incompetence, inepitude, and shady morals.

For higher education, make the state colleges inexpensive, and the community colleges even more inexpensive, because college prices are ing insane. While you do not have a *right* to attend *any* college, I do think it is a very good idea for everyone to be able to attend a decent state college. I would spend tax money on this - I figure the state would get it back from the tax revenues all of these students generate when they graduate and get real careers. Mind you, I'd put some restrictions on students' funding similar to Jesse Ventura's - you do NOT get endless funding to spend your college career failing your classes because you're at keg parties all the time. Do that on your own time, on your own dollar.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2004, 12:13:41 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2004, 12:22:46 AM by Better Red Than Dead »

Abortion: doesn't bother me. government should stay out here.
Gay Marriage: should be established in all states immediately
Guns: favor bans on most high class assault weapons, otherwise leave it up to the states
Taxes: as progressive as possible
The World: Some good some bad
Iraq: bad move
John Kerry: Far from perfect, but I'm behind him 100%
GWB: worst president ever
Health insurance: universal coverage NOW
Social security: protect it, strongly against privitization
Affirmative action: class, not race based
Immigration: overall good
Environment: Needs more protection
Death penalty: completely oppose
Policy of preemptive strike: oppose
Free Trade: strongly oppose
Patriot Act: should be abolished in its entirety
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2004, 01:03:54 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2004, 01:20:25 AM by jmfcst »

Abortion=Unspeakable murder - parents killing their own kids.  A sign that we are nearing the end times.
Gay Marriage=immoral, against it.  A sign that we are nearing the end times.
Guns=have no problem with right to carry and mandatory trigger locks
Taxes=would focus on cutting spending instead
The World=I believe we are either in or near the last days, but don't believe Christ could return at any minute since the antiChrist must first establish his rule.
Iraq=Bush had half-baked plan for winning the peace.  Arabs-Muslims probably will not tolerate democracy.
 John Kerry=unprincipled
GW=wings everything, has good inner compass but doesn't listen to it.
Health Care=Would immunize 100% of children
Social Security=best described as a pyramid scheme
Affirmative Action=mend it, dont end it
Immigration=it is what it is
Environment=mandate 40 MPG by 2015, open-up drilling, end overfishing within 250 miles of US coast
Death penalty: against the current form of death penalty. Instead, execution should be carried out within one month of conviction.
Policy of preemptive strike: case by case basis
Free Trade: strongly favor
Patriot Act: have never met anyone affected by it, so what's the problem?

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2004, 01:12:43 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2004, 01:20:18 AM by Smash255 »

Abortion  Don't exactly like abortion, but believe the woman should have the right to choose, believe abortion needs to be on the table for rape, incest, mother's health at stake.  Would rather people go through with pregnancy and give child up for adoption, but unrealistic we already have too many kids in foster homes as it is & more kids put up for adoption, than people that want to adopt.

Gay Marriage-  Feel they should be able to marry

Guns-  Not in favor of wiping out guns, but we need stricter Gun Control laws to keep guns out of the hands of those that shouldn't have it.  Need backround checks UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES including gun shows.  Equal Gun Laws in ALL STATES>  Most of the guns on the streets in NY originally came from legal sales in the south.    Also against assault weapons.  Guns are for hunting & protection don't need asault weapons for that.  

Taxes  Don't like taxes, but its needed favors higher taxes on rich lower taxes on middle class & lower class

The World  Has its good parts & bad parts

Iraq-  Against it, we have many more serious problems & threats in the world than Iraq.  Granted Saddam was an evil tyrant and glad he is gone, but we have other more serious theats the Iraq war took us away from.  Now that we are there believe we have to finish the job, but the way the adminstration has handled it has been horrific, terrible planning

Kerry-  Intelligent, should make a great President

GWB, LIAR, Uniformed, Cares about rich friends, in bed with the Saudi's

Health Insurance-  badly needed for all, not just those that can afford the insane prices

Social Security-  Need to keep it,  Privitzing it ould lead to disaterous results down the line  (how many firms, companies on the market go belly up???)

Affirmative Action-  wish we didn't need it, but unfortunley its still needed

Immigration-  Mixed feelings, but generally in favor of.  Illegal immigration is a problem, but all the various controls is what makes illegal immigration such a problem, get rid of these insane controls the, let more immigrants in we have less of an illegal immigrant problem

Environment-  We are suppose to be moving foward on
the environment not backward, Global Warming Does Exist

Death penalty-   Way too many problems in its current state.  You put a criminal in jail the rest of their life if they are found innocent can be released, can't do the same for someone already killed

Preemptive Strike-  Oppose, if we had 100% evidence that we were in serious danger its ok, but thats the only case.  Could lead to some major problems if we do it otherwise (see Iraq)

Free Trade-  Good idea, ok for when it was passed, not conducive in the current global environment

Patriot Act  Oppose.  good general idea, but has MANY MANY problems

Education-  Oppose Vouchers  Idea sounds good, but takes away from funding desperatley needed in public schools, eventually will have the same problem as public schools.  Need to increase money in the poorer districts.  Look at the Per Pupil Spending Statistic, those schools with higher per pupil spending have the better education, and schools.  (Due to cost of living, etc differences can really only look at that statistic on a state or reginoal level, NOT a national level).  For example Long Island's top school Jericho, Syosset have among the highest per pupil spending on Long Island, the schools that perform the worst such as Roosevelt and Hempstead have among the lowest per pupil spending

kfseattle
Rookie

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2004, 04:33:49 AM »

Sorry for this, but my sense of humor demands that I re-make my lightning round post recycling jmfcst’s answers.

Abortion: have never met anyone affected by it, so what’s the problem?
Gay Marriage: it is what it is
Guns: Unspeakable murder – parents killing their own kids.  
Taxes: strongly favor
The World: mend it, don’t end it
Iraq: best described as a pyramid scheme
John Kerry: case by case basis
GW: immoral, against it.  A sign that we are nearing the end times.
Health Care: execution would be carried out within one month
Social Security: I believe we are either in or near the last days
Affirmative Action: strongly favor
Immigration: Arab-Muslims probably will not tolerate democracy
Environment: wings everything, has a good inner compass
Death Penalty: The antiChrist must first establish his rule.
Policy of preemptive strike:  unprincipled.
Free trade: open up drilling.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2004, 05:50:16 AM »

Sorry for this, but my sense of humor demands that I re-make my lightning round post recycling jmfcst’s answers.

Can you do that? Smiley
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2004, 10:59:09 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2004, 11:00:25 AM by Better Red Than Dead »

A sign that we are nearing the end times.

[...]

A sign that we are nearing the end times.

[...]

since the antiChrist must first establish his rule.

you're nuts.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2004, 11:01:03 AM »

On which issue(s)?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2004, 11:51:03 AM »

not on any issues really, just for your reasoning that I quoted
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2004, 01:10:44 PM »

Abortion=torned, personally against, but think early ones should be legal

Gay Marriage=yes

Guns=split, but favour back-ground checks

Taxes=a necessary infringement on property rights that should be kept under control

The World=Some are good, others bad... Tongue

Iraq=Still support it

John Kerry=a generic Democrat, average presidential material

GW=a tad too extreme, even though I warmed to him in light of recent events

Health Care=I support it... Tongue

Social Security=let the people invest

Affirmative Action=oppose

Immigration=generally good. Government shouldn't mess with freedom of movement

Environment=I'm in favour. Smiley A good environment is...good

Death penalty: against. The government shouldn't kill its citizens in peacetime

Pre-emptive: depends

Free trade: YES! Wink

Patriot Act: The government should be kept under strict surveillance by the citizens - not the other way around

I decided to quote Gustaf's answers so that this could be a good comparison between myself and him for undecided voters in the Fantasy election.

Abortion-legal before the time of potential viability outside the womb (5 months), illegal after except for mother's life or health

Gay Marriage-favor making it legal everywhere.

Guns-should be illegal if no legitimate hunting, sporting, or self-defense purpose. All should be registered.

Taxes-raise them for the rich, lower them for the middle-class and poor. Ultimately, longterm, taxes such as payroll, sales, and property should be eliminated, as well as user fees, fund everything with income tax.

The World--mostly good, I believe strongly in the decency of all people if given free speech and a free press.

Iraq--opposed War initially, supported humanitarian aspects but don't trust Bush's motives (WMD? Axis of Evil? Trying to justify it for some other purpose it would seem...). Need to get UN involved and then pull out our own forces, establish stable democracy quickly.

Kerry--will make a good President.

Bush--don't like or trust him much at all.

Health Care--should ultimately have universal health care, not through government bureaucracy though. Have government pay costs of private care.

Social Security--oppose privatization, increase income tax to maintain funding if/when SS surplus is gone.

Affirmative Action--oppose race-based, change to class-based instead.

Immigration--should be easier, but require English to be learned ASAP. Encourage a melting pot.

Environment--stronger regulations, tax incentives for businesses that reduce emissions voluntarily, increase CAFE, more government funding of alternative energy sources. More funding for national parks.

Death Penalty--opposed, immoral.

Preemptive Strike--generally opposed, unless clear threat to us or an ally can be proven.

Free Trade--support in theory, but in practice need to have uniform environmental/labor standards, or else need tariffs to make up the difference. There should never be a financial incentive for corporations to move overseas.

Patriot Act--generally opposed, support formation of commission to study it, and recommend parts for repeal or modification. We need good security, but not at the expense of civil liberties. Freedom is very American, don't let the terrorists take that away.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2004, 01:34:44 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2004, 01:35:21 PM by jmfcst »

not on any issues really, just for your reasoning that I quoted

Believing that an increase in wickedness is a sign of the end times is very common in Christianity since Jesus himself espoused the belief.

As far as the antiChrist having to appear before the Second Coming...that's also a pretty common belief among Christians, though the majority (like the creators of the "Left Behind" series) probably believe Christ can come back at any moment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies