Away (India Update: May 23rd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:28:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Away (India Update: May 23rd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Away (India Update: May 23rd)  (Read 2524 times)
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2006, 10:53:52 AM »
« edited: May 23, 2006, 08:12:06 AM by nini2287 »

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you guys know that for the next 5-6 weeks I'll be studying abroad in Goa, India.  I'll have limited access to a computer and will probably check up on the forum once in awhile but not that often.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 10:56:15 AM »

Have fun! Though come back soon, it's good when everyone (except the crazy trolls) are here.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 11:38:44 AM »

Have a nice time Smiley and bring us some photographs of India back if you have time to take any

Dave
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 12:05:08 PM »

Have a nice time Smiley and bring us some photographs of India back if you have time to take any

Will do.  I also am stopping in Heathrow on the way over if you wanna come down and say hi. Wink
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »

Will do.  I also am stopping in Heathrow on the way over if you wanna come down and say hi. Wink

Eat a few big ole fat hamburgers for me!
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 04:18:41 PM »

Have fun Nini!  Make sure to drop in from time to time, though. Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 04:47:31 PM »

See you later. It was fun following the results with you over AIM last night.  Smiley
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 06:53:55 PM »

Awesome man! Have tons of fun.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 07:15:18 PM »

Oh, neat!  Make sure you give us the details of the trip, nini!

Rin-chan
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 07:18:46 PM »

Enjoy your tip; people from different areas are interesting. 
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 07:59:23 PM »

Have fun nini.

I'm leaving Sunday and will be away for 11 days.  It should be fun.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 12:20:14 AM »

Go visit 7-11 world HQ while you're there. Tongue
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 09:16:24 AM »

Wow, have a GREAT time. Goa seems like a great place, and India will certainly be an adventure! Will you be staying on-campus, with a student, with a staff member, or in a hostel/hotel?
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 04:25:48 PM »

Neat!! Have a great time!!!
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 08:09:57 AM »

Update #1

Flying into India was quite an experience.  Because of flight delays in Newark, it took 48 hours to get over here.  I had to stop at the Delhi airport and when looking for the free shuttle between the international and domestic terminals, I ended up getting taken by some guy who claimed to be the driver, only to end up paying $20 for a taxi ride.

Goa is really picturesque.  The International Center (where I'm staying) is a lot like any other U.S. hotel.

The beach I went to the other day was beautiful-there were palm trees all around and the water was really warm.  I've also been to the market here a couple of times, it's really hot inside and it's sad to see so many people sleeping on boxes and beggars (especially children), but there are some good prices there, although I doubt a lot of the manufactured goods are authentic.

As expected, it's really hot and humid here (probably about 95 degrees Farenheit and 100% humidity).  However, at least the temperature should go down when monsoon season starts.

We're also taking a 10-day side trip to Bangalore where maybe I will see the 7-11 HQ.  (I think we are seeing an IT Call Center).

I'll also post pictures when I get back, IF one of our regular posters who hasn't posted a picture does so (hint, hint Ebowed and WalterMitty, etc.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 08:21:18 AM »

Update #1

Flying into India was quite an experience.  Because of flight delays in Newark, it took 48 hours to get over here.  I had to stop at the Delhi airport and when looking for the free shuttle between the international and domestic terminals, I ended up getting taken by some guy who claimed to be the driver, only to end up paying $20 for a taxi ride.
$20? Huh 1000 rupees? Angry Man, somebody found himself a real sucker... well, maybe at least it was a real taxi rather than the more normal (ie, used outside the top 1% of population) autorickshaws or cyclerickshaws.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
That's right, Goa's not that far North, and on the West coast, so the monsoon starts early there. Pretty soon, in fact - in the first half of June if it's anything like Kerala.

Hehe... yeah, they're proud of those. Say hello to my old haunts when you're there! (Well, you probably won't get anywhere near where I slept and worked, but you will no doubt get to the Westernized - from an Indian point of view - parts around M.G.Road and in Gandhi Nagar and ... I forget what they call it, out west from the center ...

I've not been to Goa, but the reputation of the place among travellers in India is basically that of a 24/7 drugfest. Of course not all of this is anything like that, I know it's got some upmarket hotels on isolated coves with tourists flying in straight from Europe or the US to Panaji and back without seeing India. And of course it's got over a million people too.
Whereabouts in Goa are you?

Didn't see this thread before, btw.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 05:09:32 PM »

That's so cool, nini!  You should post pictures of Goa!

Rin-chan
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 05:11:59 PM »

I've not been to Goa, but the reputation of the place among travellers in India is basically that of a 24/7 drugfest. Of course not all of this is anything like that, I know it's got some upmarket hotels on isolated coves with tourists flying in straight from Europe or the US to Panaji and back without seeing India. And of course it's got over a million people too.

I've read that it used to have a fairly thriving prostitution scene, but that crackdowns from the forces of social control of largely destroyed this.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 03:17:51 AM »

Update #1

$20? Huh 1000 rupees? Angry Man, somebody found himself a real sucker... well, maybe at least it was a real taxi rather than the more normal (ie, used outside the top 1% of population) autorickshaws or cyclerickshaws.

Nope, it definitely wasn't a real taxi.  I paid about the same price the other day to hire a driver for the day in an A/C van to take me (and some others) to a beach around 45 minutes away.

That's right, Goa's not that far North, and on the West coast, so the monsoon starts early there. Pretty soon, in fact - in the first half of June if it's anything like Kerala.
[/quote]

Goa's right above Kerala, so we'll defintiely get the monsoons.  Although I've heard they aren't as bad here as they are in Bombay.

About 7 km or so south of Panjim and about 25 km from the airport (other side of the bay).

I've read that it used to have a fairly thriving prostitution scene, but that crackdowns from the forces of social control of largely destroyed this.

I think you're correct, opebo.  In some other parts of Goa, there's a large ex-hippie population and apparently marijuana used to be legal but it became a "problem" and now they have a 10-year prison sentence for the possesion (but I'm not sure how enforced it is).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 05:31:57 AM »

Nope, it definitely wasn't a real taxi.  I paid about the same price the other day to hire a driver for the day in an A/C van to take me (and some others) to a beach around 45 minutes away.
Given that petrol is actually more expensive in India than in the US, that's probably not all that unreasonable. Not sure though.
Anywhere in India gets monsoons (well, Rajasthan only in good years) the question is a) how intense b) when. The Monsoon begins in the Southwest and moves to the Northwest on something of a crescent-shaped tangent. It also withdraws in the opposite direction, so the SOuth actually gets two separate monsoons (the second much less intense than the first.)

[/quote]

I think you're correct, opebo.  In some other parts of Goa, there's a large ex-hippie population and apparently marijuana used to be legal but it became a "problem" and now they have a 10-year prison sentence for the possesion (but I'm not sure how enforced it is).
[/quote]
India and hemp consumption...
It basically comes in three forms:
Ganja (ie Marijuana), Kharas (ie Hashish) and Bhang (sort of like Marijuana, but not quite the same). Bhang is technically still legal, mostly because it's also used for cultic purposes. Kharas and Ganja are technically banned and carry harsh penalties, but the ban on Ganja is totally unenforceable as by my estimate at least a 100 million Indians, mostly in rural areas, smoke it regularly. There are occasional crackdowns in tourist areas, but that's it. Indian Ganja is very good, too. Smiley Kharas meanwhile is publicly associated with organized crime (and with Muslims) and widely viewed as totally verboten.

But with Goa's trance music scene, of course mushrooms and meths are consumed there too ... but not widely across India.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 07:51:37 AM »

Hope you are having a fantastic time, ņiņi Cheesy

I thought my flight was bad...maybe we should have swapped destinations; would have made for easier flights...probably.

Hope everything gets better, although i´m sure your already enjoying it.

Hugh
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2006, 09:43:52 AM »

I thought my flight was bad...maybe we should have swapped destinations; would have made for easier flights...probably.

That would be a lot better, do check up on my house for me and I'll check up on yours Wink
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 04:43:03 AM »

Hello, again!

Last week, I got back from a side trip to the neighboring state of Karnatka.  It was a lot of fun, we hiked around an organic farm in the rainforest, took safaris through the jungle and got to hang out in the city of Bangalore (IT capital of India, we got to meet the "Josh"s and "Ken"s you call for tch support).  I only have a week left in Goa, then I'm off to Amsterdam for a few days to visit a friend then back to the US.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies