John Howard is coming to town
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:54:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  John Howard is coming to town
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John Howard is coming to town  (Read 2215 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2006, 05:12:44 PM »

The streets are lined with Aussie flags. He will be speaking to a joint session of Parliament tommorow.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 05:25:58 PM »

Is he making a list and checking it twice?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 05:45:08 PM »

He's certainly not visiting the Gabu household now!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 08:05:33 PM »

Perhaps Hugh knows Cheesy
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 10:50:24 PM »

His christmas present this year is rumoured to be his retirement. There is a lot of speculation this tour is kind of a last hurrah. So much so that when senior liberal and minister for Health Tony Abbott was asked to comment on rumours of Howard stepping down shortly before the end of the year he said "christmas is coming in december. I don't expect anything unusual" Cheesy

Bush basically called him a short ugly little man yesterday/the day before or whatever. The sad thing is a lot of us got pissed off. He *IS* a bald ugly man, but if Bush says it then we attack him because he's not allowed to say it or something. It probably was improper, but seriously, some people over here are blowing it way out of proportion.

I always sort of wonder just how well Bush and Howard get along. They seem to be best mates, but I think neither really likes eacother. Howard is very suburban middle-class; Bush is...not. They have similar enough political views, but I don't think they really are as friendly as they claim to be. It'll be interesting to see how Harper and Howard go; Harper looks a bit like Peter Costello so Howard might be looking into the future Tongue
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 12:55:55 AM »

Howard = Massive FF
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 01:43:43 AM »

I'm interning on Parliament Hill, so I'll see if I can get a glimpse of the PM. This is unlikely however, as I've never caught a glimpse of my own PM Wink It was just really odd seeing all them aussie flags everywhere yesterday though.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 02:18:51 AM »

i've seen the PM once, in 1999. I was in Canberra for our grade 6 camp. He asked us where we were from, and about 60 of us replied "Middle Park Primary School", and the libraraian said "In Melbourne Ports, Frank Crean's old seat" and he said "Oh yes, I know Melbourne Ports" and walked off.

Melbourne Ports is a ALP seat and has been for over one hundred years.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 02:37:53 AM »

i've seen the PM once, in 1999. I was in Canberra for our grade 6 camp. He asked us where we were from, and about 60 of us replied "Middle Park Primary School", and the libraraian said "In Melbourne Ports, Frank Crean's old seat" and he said "Oh yes, I know Melbourne Ports" and walked off.

pWn3d

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 03:14:57 AM »

pWn3d

well, he *was* just about to give a media conference about east timor. Aussie politicians give a lot of media conferences, have a lot of interviews, etc.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 03:20:32 AM »

His christmas present this year is rumoured to be his retirement. There is a lot of speculation this tour is kind of a last hurrah. So much so that when senior liberal and minister for Health Tony Abbott was asked to comment on rumours of Howard stepping down shortly before the end of the year he said "christmas is coming in december. I don't expect anything unusual" Cheesy

Bush basically called him a short ugly little man yesterday/the day before or whatever. The sad thing is a lot of us got pissed off. He *IS* a bald ugly man, but if Bush says it then we attack him because he's not allowed to say it or something. It probably was improper, but seriously, some people over here are blowing it way out of proportion.
Will there be an Australian military invasion of the US? Will the Aussies use Canada as a base for their operations? Is that the true purpose of this visit?

Stay tuned...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 03:22:41 AM »

Will there be an Australian military invasion of the US? Will the Aussies use Canada as a base for their operations? Is that the true purpose of this visit?

Stay tuned...

Sounds like I went to America at the wrong time... Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 03:23:09 AM »

Stay tuned...

That would explain the flags

*whistles "Advance Australia Fair" then sings "Waltzing Matilda"*

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 03:26:51 AM »

Stay tuned...

No, we're slowing overtaking US institutions. We're at the top in media and film, with TV to come soon; we've been at the top of banking but had a little hickup there. We'll be back soon. Soon, every important person in America will be Australian outside of politics, and we all know that Bush is more likely to listen to Keith Urban then John McCain.

That said....

I'm in the 4th backpacker division, marshalling in Chile before our division meets up with the 6th in Mexico and is resposnible for the invasion of New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado and Utah. The tourist divisions are going to take California, the expat divisions New England, and the rest is our Commonwealth allies and lots of disease-carrying koalas.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 12:53:40 PM »

News Corporation is a great American company.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 02:26:33 PM »

Just listening to his speech now. I don't know how you guys kept electing him.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 02:37:16 PM »

Just listening to his speech now. I don't know how you guys kept electing him.

Well 1996 was kinda inevitable (a bit like how even poor old Michael Foot (and his donkey coat) could have won a majority had he been Labour leader over here in 1997), 1998 was a fluke in almost all ways, 2001 went the way it did for a couple of reasons (a nasty spasm of racist opinion caused by the whole boat people thing being the main one) and 2004 was very close right up until the point that the electorate realised that Latham is batsh*t crazy.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 04:59:50 PM »

Stay tuned...

Gabu is clearly a spy preparing the way for the invasion. Wink

No, we're slowing overtaking US institutions. We're at the top in media and film, with TV to come soon; we've been at the top of banking but had a little hickup there. We'll be back soon. Soon, every important person in America will be Australian outside of politics, and we all know that Bush is more likely to listen to Keith Urban then John McCain.

That said....

I'm in the 4th backpacker division, marshalling in Chile before our division meets up with the 6th in Mexico and is resposnible for the invasion of New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado and Utah. The tourist divisions are going to take California, the expat divisions New England, and the rest is our Commonwealth allies and lots of disease-carrying koalas.

I'll wave hello to you when you arrive. Cheesy
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 02:01:30 AM »

Stay tuned...

That said....

I might need a billet...

the main reason Australia has elected Howard four times in the ALP.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2006, 03:10:48 AM »

Stay tuned...

That said....

I might need a billet...

the main reason Australia has elected Howard four times in the ALP.

Sounds familiar Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies