Lt. Governor Races
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:49:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lt. Governor Races
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lt. Governor Races  (Read 4063 times)
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 05, 2006, 09:09:02 PM »

While all of us have been paying great attention to the Gubernatorial, House, and Senate races, we have not had much time to discuss the not so glamorous races for Lt. Governor across the country.

Being from a state with no Lt. Governor (we have an elected Secretary of State who is first in the line of succession), I have always enjoyed studying the roles and campaigns of Lt. Gubernatorial candidates across the country.

Two races I have noticed to be particularly fascinating are in California (with  McClintock) and in Alabama (with George Wallace, Jr.).

I think McClintock has a 50/50 chance of victory, and do not have much information on the Wallace race, but he has been elected statewide on two separate occasions, and has a mix of populism in conservatism that the voters in Alabama just seem to eat up.

So, does your state, or any state for that matter, have a race for Lt. Governor that is of any interest?  Is the state the race is in a ticket or individual campaign?  Who are the players?  What are the stances?  What are the odds?

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 09:10:05 PM »

We did that last year.  We vote on pretty much everything, even though our Lt. Governor does nothing.
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 09:13:42 PM »

We did that last year.  We vote on pretty much everything, even though our Lt. Governor does nothing.

Does he preside over the State Senate?  I'm assuming that he is next in line at least?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 09:31:38 PM »

Does he preside over the State Senate?  I'm assuming that he is next in line at least?

Yes, but it is a pretty useless job for $683,000 a year.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 09:32:46 PM »

I agree with that Healy guy in Rhode Island - they should just get rid of the posisiton all together. In most states, the man in paid roughly 600,000$ to wait for the real governor to die. Total waste.
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 09:34:42 PM »

Is that salary for real???  Oregon's Governor makes below $90,000 (In Washington, if I am not mistaken, a Legislator makes more than that), and understanding the duties of the WA Lt. Governor, that pay kind of boggles the mind. 
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 09:37:42 PM »

Is that salary for real???  Oregon's Governor makes below $90,000 (In Washington, if I am not mistaken, a Legislator makes more than that), and understanding the duties of the WA Lt. Governor, that pay kind of boggles the mind. 

I think that is the annual cost to the state, including transportation and everything.  At least, I hope.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 09:40:50 PM »

Our Lt Gov is elected by the State Senate from its membership. Since 1972, it has been John Wilder, a West Tennessee Democrat who has a reputation of reaching across the aisle and appointing some Republicans to head committees and such. In fact, that's generally how he remained Lt Gov this term despite a 17-16 lead by the GOP. But the state GOP here is quite on the heels of the Democrats, and this could definitely change next term. I don't want the GOP to take over, for many reasons buty mainly because they'd control appointments to all the county election commissions. But I'm quite happy to see Wilder go; he's a great argument for term limits.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 10:48:08 PM »

The Lt. Governor in Texas is more powerful than the Governor, actually.

Dewhurst (R) should win again this year quite easily.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 10:51:27 PM »

I don't want the GOP to take over, for many reasons buty mainly because they'd control appointments to all the county election commissions.

God forbid we have fairness.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 11:24:28 PM »

I don't want the GOP to take over, for many reasons buty mainly because they'd control appointments to all the county election commissions.

If you weren't such a partisan, it'd be a good point.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 11:34:17 PM »

How so?

(I don't disagree, I'm just curious)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 04:00:18 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2006, 09:05:22 AM by SoFA Ernest »

Actually the Lt. Governor's race is far more interesting at the moment than the Governor's race.  Thanks to the antics of the incumbent, Andre Bauer, he stands a decent chance of losing the primary, and if he wins he may lose in November.  The Treasurer's race is shaping up as the most expensive tho, with two people throwing their own money in large quanties hoping to get elected.  Secretary of State, Commissioner of Agriculture, and Superintendent of Education are all lively.  The three Generals: Adjutant General, Attorney General, and Comptroller General are boring as they have incumbents that will easily win in November, and none are facing any primary opposition.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 06:43:59 PM »

If you weren't such a partisan, it'd be a good point.

Isn't 200 years enough for you people? Smiley

All we want is a fair shot - for all of the eligible voters to be able vote and for all the ineligible voters not to vote.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 08:03:41 PM »

In, Michigan, the Governor and Lt. Governor candidates run together as a ticket, but the state party convention picks the running mate, not the Gubernatorial candidate themselves. John Cherry is almost certain to be Granholm's running mate once again; there are a few possibilities for Devos's running mate, but it's somewhat hard to predict who will be chosen.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 04:49:38 PM »

How so?
I think this is more of a traditional claim.

Texas has a fairly weak executive branch, with independently elected executive officials (Attorney General, Comptroller, Ag Commissioner, Land Commissioner, Railroad Commissioner, judges, etc.).  The governor doesn't get to act as commander-in-chief very often.

Ordinarily, the legislature only meets every two years, and the time of meeting is limited.  Traditionally, the Senate and the House have deferred to the Lieutenant Governor and House Speaker to control what legislation is considered.  The House Speaker is elected by the members, so he has to concede power to committee chairmen in order to get elected.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2006, 05:05:53 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2006, 05:11:51 PM by Senate Candidate BRTD »

In Minnesota, the candidates run on a ticket, including in the primary. There are three serious DFL candidates for Governor, (although Hatch is all but assured the nomination), and each one will choose a Lt. Gov. candidate and run with them in the primary. I don't know who each is likely to choose, nor do I care, because the Minnesota Lt. Governorship is an incredibly worthless position that less power than the Public Health Administrator of Pipestone County. They have basically no duties whatsoever, not even control over the Senate, who elects its own leadership. I don't even know the current Lt. Gov's name (only that she's a pro-choice woman). In its current form, I'd support abolishing the MN Lt. Governship, since it just serves as a way to give a meaningless job to political cronies or blatant tokenism (as is the current case)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies