Second Modified Electoral System Reform Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:54:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Second Modified Electoral System Reform Bill  (Read 5151 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2006, 04:55:38 PM »

Section 5 of the Electoral System Reform Act is stricken and replaced with:

Section 5: Tied Run-off Elections
If the Run-off Election procedure specified in section 4 results in a tie, then:

1. One of the tied candidates may concede their portion of the term. The rules for determining the winner shall proceed based on as if the number tied candidates is reduced by one.
2. The two candidates shall each serve a Senate session.
   a. If one and only one of the tied candidates is an incumbent, then that candidate shall serve the first session.
   b. If the same two candidates were serving as co-senators as a result of a tie in the last election, then the candidate who served the second session during the previous term shall serve the first session this term.
c. Else the candidate whose name comes first alphabetically shall serve the first session.
3. In the event of a tie between more than two candidates:
   a. The tied candidates may make any agreement they see fit.
   b. If an agreement can not be made by (a), the Senate shall either:
      i.  Select one candidate to serve the entire term.
      ii. Select a schedule that will allow all tied candidates to serve a portion of the term.
4. Only the sitting senator may vote on legislation.
5. When the President makes a nomination, both co-senators shall vote, but their vote shall only be counted as a single vote. If the two votes oppose each other then their vote shall be counted as a vote in favor of the nominee.
6. If one co-senator is elected or appointed to another office, than the other co-senator shall assume all the role of a full senator.

Sponsor: Sen. Dave Hawk
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 10:20:31 AM »

5. When the President makes a nomination, both co-senators shall vote, but their vote shall only be counted as a single vote. If the two votes oppose each other then their vote shall be counted as a vote in favor of the nominee.

Here's my only problem with the bill. If the two votes are opposed to each other, should it not be considered an abstention?
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 12:05:56 PM »

If the Run-off Election procedure specified in section 4 results in a tie, then:

1. One of the tied candidates may concede their portion of the term. The rules for determining the winner shall proceed based on as if the number tied candidates is reduced by one.
   a. If one and only one of the tied candidates is an incumbent, then that candidate shall serve the first session.
   b. If the same two candidates were serving as co-senators as a result of a tie in the last election, then the candidate who served the second session during the previous term shall serve the first session this term.
c. Else the candidate whose name comes first alphabetically shall serve the first session.
   b. If an agreement can not be made by (a), the Senate shall either:
      ii. Select a schedule that will allow all tied candidates to serve a portion of the term.
4. Only the sitting senator may vote on legislation.
6. If one co-senator is elected or appointed to another office, than the other co-senator shall assume all the role of a full senator.

Sponsor: Sen. Dave Hawk

My issues:

1) Clause 2c might cause people to start competeing to see who can put more Zs in front of their name.  Should this be based on the original name?  Or is there some other way to stop that?

2) Clause 5, like Senator Bacon King pointed out, is not very democratic.  I agree with Bacon King's unofficial amendment to make opposing votes count as an abstention, because that is only fair.  Also, it doesn't address if one wants to abstain and one wants to vote yes/no.  Does this cause a yes/no vote, just a yes vote, or an abstention?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 12:11:13 PM »

Since Brandon wrote it, I'd welcome his thoughts as to the points raised by Senator Bacon King and jerusalemcar5; and any more, which might be raised

'Hawk'
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 01:00:39 PM »

My issues:

1) Clause 2c might cause people to start competeing to see who can put more Zs in front of their name.  Should this be based on the original name?  Or is there some other way to stop that?

That's the main problem.

And that's just ridiculous. Both Senators shall vote? No. If that stays then I will be voting against this bill.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 02:13:48 PM »

I propose the following amendment:

Clause 2C is changed to read as:

Else the candidate whose name upon initial registration to the Atlas forum comes first alphabetically shall serve the first session.

---

I also propose to amend the bill by removing Clause 5.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 02:18:34 PM »

How about allowing the individual who has been a registered for the longest period of time to serve the first half of the term? This seems to be less arbitrary than considering the letter of the alphabet with which an individual's username starts.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 02:36:13 PM »

How about allowing the individual who has been a registered for the longest period of time to serve the first half of the term? This seems to be less arbitrary than considering the letter of the alphabet with which an individual's username starts.

I was thinking that, too, but even though it's a matter of who gets the first term, some will complain about taking it out on the "newbies." I'd still support this over an alphabetical determination.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 03:11:39 PM »

I was thinking that, too, but even though it's a matter of who gets the first term, some will complain about taking it out on the "newbies." I'd still support this over an alphabetical determination.

Actually, it is usually more advantageous to serve the second part of the term.  That way you would be the incumbent if you chose to run for election as Senator for the next term.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 03:15:39 PM »

Actually, it is usually more advantageous to serve the second part of the term.  That way you would be the incumbent if you chose to run for election as Senator for the next term.
So, the way I see it, any division other than an arbitrary one would be at least nominally unfair. Considering that which individual's username comes first alphabetically is essentially random, I prefer to keep it at that.

Or we could just have them flip a coin or something.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 03:17:20 PM »

Or we could just have them flip a coin or something.

Yeah but who would do it and how would we be able to know the real result? Coin flipping would be pass.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 06:49:28 AM »
« Edited: May 21, 2006, 06:53:49 AM by President Porce »

All right, I would suggest the following amendment to the bill.

The text of the bill is stricken and replaced with:

a. The two candidates will be allowed to determine the order in which the terms are split.
   b. If no agreement is reached regarding the order of the terms that each candidate serves in, if one of the tied candidates is an incumbent, then that candidate shall serve the first session.
   c. If both of the tied candidates are incumbents, due to redistricting or other circumstances, or if neither of the candidates are incumbents, and no agreement has been reached regarding the order of the terms that each candidate serves in, then the candidates shall serve in alphabetical order, going by their names used on the Registered Voter Roll.
   b. If an agreement cannot be made by (a), the Senate shall either:

I think that having co-senators at all is a really bad idea and makes for unintended but unnecessary bureaucracy.  While it may be unfair that one Senator gets to vote on cabinet appointments while another does not, that's just something the two candidates should consider when agreeing the order in which they'll split the term.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 07:31:45 AM »

I'll introduce that amendment for you Ebowed.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 01:37:29 PM »

Considering that Ebowed',s amendment majorly pwns mine, I hereby withdraw my amendments.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 01:49:31 PM »

I refuse to support any amendment that involves determining who serves first by an alphabetical order. I, therefore, introduce an amendment which is the same as the President's/Senator Jedi's but with one change:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 05:01:04 PM »

Well, the proposed amendment specifically states that the names used for the determination of order will be taken from the Registered Voter Roll - so if someone puts Z's in front of their name during the election to secure a potential last term in office, it would not work.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 05:01:53 PM »

I hereby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

The text of the bill is stricken and replaced with:

a. The two candidates will be allowed to determine the order in which the terms are split.
   b. If no agreement is reached regarding the order of the terms that each candidate serves in, if one of the tied candidates is an incumbent, then that candidate shall serve the first session.
   c. If both of the tied candidates are incumbents, due to redistricting or other circumstances, or if neither of the candidates are incumbents, and no agreement has been reached regarding the order of the terms that each candidate serves in, then the candidates shall serve in alphabetical order, going by their names used on the Registered Voter Roll.
   b. If an agreement cannot be made by (a), the Senate shall either:
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 05:02:15 PM »

Aye
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 06:06:22 PM »

Yup
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 06:08:50 PM »

Aye.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 08:16:37 PM »

Aye.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 09:13:08 PM »

Aye ; however, I will be introducing a further amendment concerning a matter this one doesn't address but which the original did

'Hawk'
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 11:15:51 AM »

Aye.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 02:45:45 PM »