Nova Scotia election 2006!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:50:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Nova Scotia election 2006!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Nova Scotia election 2006!  (Read 5090 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 08:01:10 PM »

So, the tories won by three seats. Sad So close!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 09:05:04 PM »

Liberal losses: 1 in Halifax, 2 on Cape Breton.

Comments: Looks like they were hit hard in CB which is a real suprise in my opinion. Another surprise has to be that this is the only place they lost really, I figured they would have been hit hard in Halfiax.

NDP gains: Pictou East, 2 in Halifax Metro and 2 on the south shore.
Comments: Very nice indeed! To break into the south shore, a tory strong hold is quite nice, but I think we could have done better in Halifax and we didn't gain anything at all in Cape Breton.

Tories gained 2 on Cape Breton, lost 1 in Halifax Metro and 2 on the south shore.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006, 05:54:46 AM »

Comments: Looks like they were hit hard in CB which is a real suprise in my opinion.

True; I'd sort-of assumed predictions of collapses were *largely* hubris... even more shocking is how, in some ridings where the Liberals were defending (like Victoria) or (like CB Nova) were seen as a threat, voters lined up behind whichever main party wasn't the Liberals. In Cape Breton!
I've just realised that they don't have any safe seats up there anymore; their lead in Glace Bay (who's MLA is pretty popular) was halved and their lead in CB South (an utter stronghold since ever. It's basically the core of Sydney) was also slashed to ribbons...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

True; there leader was running in a suburban Halifax seat though.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The rural gains were very good (Queens had been PC for 50 years after all), the NDP were screwed by boundary changes on Cape Breton a few years ago making gains hard, although Glace Bay looks like it could be a serious target again (and Centre and Nova look pretty safe now). If MacDonald's personal popularity on Cape Breton starts to decline in the future, an attack on North seems possible (although Cecil Clarke is rather popular himself). Halifax was a bit of a disapointment though.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 11:57:10 PM »

I think one could credit the Conservative gains on Cape Breton on the fact their leader is from there, of course. This I didn't realize immediately before the election. It's good to see the massive majorities the NDP picked up in the Dartmouth/Cole Harbour area, might be a good sign federally. Maybe Dexter can challenge Savage in the future Cheesy
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2006, 06:22:00 AM »

I think one could credit the Conservative gains on Cape Breton on the fact their leader is from there, of course. This I didn't realize immediately before the election. It's good to see the massive majorities the NDP picked up in the Dartmouth/Cole Harbour area, might be a good sign federally. Maybe Dexter can challenge Savage in the future Cheesy

Yeah, the federal implications of this are dire for the Liberals, with the exception of the two western rural ridings (in which they did rather well).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2006, 01:08:19 PM »

Yeah, the federal implications of this are dire for the Liberals, with the exception of the two western rural ridings (in which they did rather well).

Traditional Liberal area is all I can say about that area. Probably because it's French.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2006, 01:13:27 PM »

Traditional Liberal area is all I can say about that area. Probably because it's French.

One of the areas M.P's is a certain Scott Brison; most of his riding actually swung *to* the Liberals and they nearly shock-gained Hants West (a "safe" PC seat).
It's just occured to me, that both the Tories and Liberals did badly in their respective traditional rural strongholds... (ie; rural CB and the South Shore...)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2006, 02:51:41 AM »

One of the areas M.P's is a certain Scott Brison; most of his riding actually swung *to* the Liberals and they nearly shock-gained Hants West (a "safe" PC seat).
It's just occured to me, that both the Tories and Liberals did badly in their respective traditional rural strongholds... (ie; rural CB and the South Shore...)

Well, the tories kept the northern areas and the Liberals kept the western shore, so they did hold some of their traditional areas.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2006, 03:45:38 AM »

Triangle map... Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies