Montenegrin referendum (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:38:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Montenegrin referendum (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Montenegrin referendum  (Read 7927 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: May 20, 2006, 10:53:53 PM »

That's what I support independence. There's no point in the union anymore, it was just a half assed way to keep a remnant of Yugoslavia alive.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 11:37:44 AM »

I've always been against turnout thresholds. While the logic behind them is good, they end up being self-defeating in referendums, since voting "no" becomes pointless, you can do better by simply not voting in which case everyone who wouldn't have voted anyway also becomes a de factor "no" vote. Reminds me of how the Catholic church managed to kill a stem cell research plan in Italy by urging a boycott of the referendum, it failed on turnout, but probably would've passed without such a threshold
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 11:43:13 AM »

Here's an interesting note from the wiki article, which also relates to what ag just said:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wow, nice that they're actually willing to admit the thing that no one else in the region will. I wonder if anyone has ever insisted that we speak "American" and they speak "British" in Britain.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 04:09:06 PM »

They'll just continue with the government they have now, which I think is a semi-Presidential system a la France. Both Serbia and Montenegro have their own Presidents and Parliaments, there's also a President and Parliament for the full union, but that has very little power compared to the two seperate ones, as I said the union is rather uneccesary now, and only came into existance because some people weren't willing to accept the idea that Yugoslavia wasn't going to completely fall to shreds.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 06:49:21 PM »

Does this affect the future of Kosovo too?

No, Kosovo is part of Serbia. This won't have much effect as the link between Serbia and Montenegro isn't all that strong at the moment anyway. Of course Serbia doesn't have any real control over Kosovo at the moment either, but that also means calls for full independence will become weaker.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies