Opinion of Edward McCormack's Comment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:23:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Edward McCormack's Comment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: McCormack's line in the 1962 Democratic Senatorial Primary against Ted Kennedy - Positive or Negative?
Positive

Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Opinion of Edward McCormack's Comment  (Read 1836 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2006, 02:20:41 PM »

"If his [Edward Kennedy's] name were Edward Moore...with his qualifications...with your qualifications, Teddy...if his name were Edward Moore, his candidacy would be a joke."

I don't care what else McCormack did during his political career. He could have been a raging, further left candidate than Teddy. I love that line so much that he is a Freedom Fighter in my eyes. Definetley a positive rating.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 03:19:54 PM »

If Teddy didn't have the name Kennedy the car "accident" would have killed him right away.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 05:59:59 PM »

It's irrelevant, Phil.  Would Bush be president right now if it wasn't for his father/name/grandfather or simply a failing laborer in New Haven?

Al Gore wouldn't have been the Dem. nominee in 2000 and 2008 without his father/name.

The list goes on and on and on.....
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 07:27:52 PM »

It's irrelevant, Phil.  Would Bush be president right now if it wasn't for his father/name/grandfather or simply a failing laborer in New Haven?

Al Gore wouldn't have been the Dem. nominee in 2000 and 2008 without his father/name.

I knew that those points would be brought up and I understand what you're saying. I'm just bringing up a specific situation for a man who is more privileged than both Bush and Gore and I'm honoring the man who called it at an early time.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 07:29:49 PM »

I knew that those points would be brought up and I understand what you're saying. I'm just bringing up a specific situation for a man who is more privileged than both Bush and Gore and I'm honoring the man who called it at an early time.

It is insanely debatable to say that Bush is less privleged than Ted Kennedy.  It's really equal.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 07:56:52 PM »

It is insanely debatable to say that Bush is less privleged than Ted Kennedy.  It's really equal.

In all Bush's years as a licensed driver, how many times has his car ended up in any body of water? The Kennedy's are far more privileged.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 08:05:28 PM »

In all Bush's years as a licensed driver, how many times has his car ended up in any body of water? The Kennedy's are far more privileged.

Are we measuring privilege by how many times cars go into water? Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 08:12:13 PM »

Are we measuring privilege by how many times cars go into water? Tongue

No, more like how many times cars go into the water and the driver gets away with it.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 08:37:45 PM »

McCormack's statement is correct, however the same is even more true in the case of George W. Bush.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 08:56:08 PM »

McCormack's statement is correct, however the same is even more true in the case of George W. Bush.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's true of all people from famous families.

Laura Bush was driving a car and got into an accident that was her fault that killed her boyfriend. The fact that there are two different justice systems, one for the rich and powerful and the one for the rest of us, should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 09:14:18 PM »

Laura Bush was driving a car and got into an accident that was her fault that killed her boyfriend. The fact that there are two different justice systems, one for the rich and powerful and the one for the rest of us, should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone.

Did Laura run away from the scene?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 09:42:40 PM »

Did Laura run away from the scene?

She wasn't charged, and the accident was clearly her fault.

In any event, the comparison was not meant to equate the two events in any way other than to offer just one example of differing systems of justice for the rich and powerful, regardless of political sympathies.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 10:07:47 PM »

Thanks but let me ask the question again: Did she run from the scene? And maybe I have heard this but forgotten so maybe you can inform me - was Barbara connected to a well known political family at the time?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 10:22:27 PM »

Thanks but let me ask the question again: Did she run from the scene? And maybe I have heard this but forgotten so maybe you can inform me - was Barbara connected to a well known political family at the time?

I honestly don't know a lot of the details of the case. My only point was that it's a bipartisan thing, not to imply that what Kennedy did or what Laura did were better or worse. I'm in no way defending Ted's family privilege or his actions. Law enforcement should treat everyone equally, regardless of who they are.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 10:39:52 PM »

Was his great-grandfather a top advisor to President Hoover, his grand-father a US Senator, and his father a President? Appearantly Bush inheirted his economic genius from his great-grandfather.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 10:46:41 PM »

Was his great-grandfather a top advisor to President Hoover, his grand-father a US Senator, and his father a President? Appearantly Bush inheirted his economic genius from his great-grandfather.

Kennedy definetley had more of a direct privelege than Bush did. Teddy's Daddy took care of everything. Please don't start comparing the two families.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies