Confirmation Hearing: Afleitch (Secretary of State)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:09:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Afleitch (Secretary of State)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Afleitch (Secretary of State)  (Read 2152 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2006, 10:15:13 AM »

I call this hearing to order.  Senators, please ask your questions of the nominee, Afleitch.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 10:38:12 AM »

What changes, if any, will you make in policy or actions from your predecessor?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 10:39:52 AM »

Will you actually follow the bill that we passed and tell us where our foreign aid is going?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 12:28:28 PM »

First of all, in answer to Senator WMS, I do not intend to impose radical changes on how this office is run or in what policy will be implemented. I am aware that I have been nominated to fill this position for one month, and whether or not I continue in the post or replaced will be at the discretion of the next President. One month is not long enough to impose any fullscale change or to propose a sweeping agenda. Therefore rather than set out an agenda as such, I will continue to monitor the international situation, meeting each challenge should it arise, as Al has done and to push the Senate to redress these issues if need be, should there be a political crisis or a disaster that requires humanitarian aid.

To Senator Masterjedi, I will have to familiarise myself with the bill in question, but yes I do agree that as a branch of the government we should be financially accountable to the electorate. The Foreign Aid Accountability Act, asks for a report to be made in the third week of May. Obviously as we are now in the 4th week, the next report is not due until September. I am aware that this would be an unnacceptable outcome, for both the Senate and the people; despite being legal, so, if it is within my authority, I will deliver the said report, sometime in June.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 12:53:27 PM »

First of all, in answer to Senator WMS, I do not intend to impose radical changes on how this office is run or in what policy will be implemented. I am aware that I have been nominated to fill this position for one month, and whether or not I continue in the post or replaced will be at the discretion of the next President. One month is not long enough to impose any fullscale change or to propose a sweeping agenda. Therefore rather than set out an agenda as such, I will continue to monitor the international situation, meeting each challenge should it arise, as Al has done and to push the Senate to redress these issues if need be, should there be a political crisis or a disaster that requires humanitarian aid.

Works for me. Smiley I thank the Honorable Afleitch for his response. Kiki
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 09:32:01 PM »

I have no reservations over confirming this qualified nominee.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 10:25:38 PM »

I have no reservations over confirming this qualified nominee.
^^^
Good choice, I say!
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 05:33:01 AM »

As an accomplished Mideast Governor, there is no doubt in my mind that Afleitch has the ability to make a fine Secretary of State

Therefore, I give notice that I will be voting in favor of his nomination

'Hawk'
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 02:47:35 PM »

I am pretty sure that Afleitch will get my vote. Question: What area will be your focus as Secretary of State?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 04:56:31 PM »

I am pretty sure that Afleitch will get my vote. Question: What area will be your focus as Secretary of State?

An in type of foreign policy; interventionist, ractionary, isolationist, or what geographic area? Trying to answer as broadly as possible, firstly I would like to welcome Montenego into the international community. Her citizens and her leaders should know that Atlasia is her friend and we should work towards establishing trade with and investment in the Balkan nation.

This week has also seen the Northern Irish Assembly reconvene for talks over the formation of the government. Atlasia should not shy away from helping our allies. I believe we can play a constructive and arbitary role should the peoples of Northern Ireland, the United Kingdom and the Irish Republic so wish.

These are short term concerns with long term implications. Even when the drift out of the news and away from the public eye, for us, they still remain. As I have stated previously I do not wish to make drastic changes in our policy before the upcoming election. We must follow the established patrh and meet and counter each and every challenge

Lastly I believe we should focus on humanitarian aid where it is necessary. Should there be a localised or large scale disaster this summer, either caused by war or an act of god we must remain on standby. There are times when the citizens of Atlasia become world citizens, even for the briefest of moments and we should be willing to take the iniative, and or work with other nations should an unfortunate situation arise.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 10:29:57 AM »

I hereby open up the confermation vote of Afleitch to the position of Secretary of State. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 10:30:21 AM »

Aye
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 11:23:46 AM »

Aye
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 11:42:42 AM »

Aye.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 01:25:51 PM »

I am very pleased with the nominee's responses. I enthusiastically support his confirmation - Aye
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 02:55:06 PM »

Aye.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 03:49:39 PM »

Yup
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2006, 04:50:11 PM »

Aye

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 05:01:33 PM »

This confirmation has enough votes to pass. Senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 08:43:41 PM »

Aye for the record.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 06:48:48 PM »

With 8 Ayes, 0 Nays and 0 Abstentions Afleitch is hereby confirmed as Secretary of State.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies