Former NJ Gov. admits to anonymous gay sex in highway rest stops
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:52:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Former NJ Gov. admits to anonymous gay sex in highway rest stops
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Former NJ Gov. admits to anonymous gay sex in highway rest stops  (Read 8818 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2006, 02:52:01 PM »

For NixonNow:

Guess there's gonna be no more stopping in Jersey rest stops when I travel to NYC...

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/64102.htm

MCGREEVEY'S GAY ROAD THRILL

MEMOIR BARES HIGHWAY HOOKUPS

By DAN MANGAN

May 22, 2006 -- Jim McGreevey shockingly admits that before he became governor of New Jersey, he'd have anonymous gay sex at Garden State highway rest stops.

"All I knew was that my behavior was getting crazier and crazier," McGreevey says of his torrid truck-stop trysts in an upcoming book that details his tortured life of lies and sexual repression.

"With each new encounter, I was getting nearer and nearer to being caught - which surely would have generated headlines, especially after I became executive director of the state parole board" in the mid-1980s.

"The closet starves a man, and when he gets a chance he gorges till it sickens him," he writes in his book, titled "The Confession."

McGreevey revealed to The Post that he spent time in a psychiatric hospital at an Episcopalian monastery in the Hudson Valley after his stunning resignation as governor in 2004.

And he describes in the book his fruitless attempts to conquer or hide his homosexuality by ogling Playboy centerfolds, frequenting strip clubs and becoming "as avid a womanizer as anybody else on the New Jersey political scene."

"The more the rumors circulated, the more public and brazen I became about my heterosexual conquests," the twice-married father-of-two writes.

All that came to naught when he resigned amid rumors of an affair with a male appointee, Golan Cipel. He then declared proudly, "I am a gay American,"

His wife, Dina, and his parents stood at his side.

His turgidly written tale, whose subject matter sometimes seems better suited to a sleazy dime-store paperback than to a former governor's memoir, is due to be published next fall by Regan Books.

Excerpts from the tome - for which McGreevey reportedly will be paid up to $500,000 - were printed yesterday by The Star-Ledger of Newark after the newspaper obtained them at a publishing-industry convention in Washington.

McGreevey, who is now separated from Dina, currently lives with his boyfriend, financial adviser Mark O'Donnell.

McGreevey writes that he was aware he was gay at a young age. While his parents' working-class Irish-Catholic identity comforted him, he knew "deep down . . . that this American ideal excluded me."

At one point, he told The Post, he considered entering the Catholic priesthood because he hoped its vow of chastity would solve the dilemma.

He also writes that while he had a "great number of heterosexual experiences" while attending St. Joseph's all boys high school in Metuchen, "I can't say I was interested in girls sexually."

"Yet I liked the physical contact, craved it even," McGreevey writes.

In 1983, while attending a political conference in Atlantic City that was rife with sexual pick-ups, McGreevey got soused in an Irish pub and had an epiphany.

"I knew I would have to lie for the rest of my life - and I knew I was capable of it. The knowledge gave me a feeling of terrible power," he writes.

McGreevey felt such shame, he writes, that he "split in two" - living on the one hand a life "that stands for tradition and values and America," and another life that he pretended to ignore as "something spoiled, something disgusting."

But that duality only made his problem worse, and also made his forays into the world of illicit sex more risky and degrading.

"In my case it went from the simple passions of a young adult - for physical and romantic love and happiness - to a particularly rank, unfulfilling variety of lust. I felt it get ranker and less fulfilling with each passing year," he writes.

McGreevey longed to have a healthy relationship with another man, "with someone I love," whom he could kiss, hug and with whom he could plan a life together.

"I used to make long lists of guys I had crushes on, scribbling their names like a teenager," he writes. "But I never allowed my conquests to be anything like that.

"As glorious and meaningful as it would have been to have a loving and sound sexual experience with another man, I knew I had to undo my happiness step by step as I began chasing my dream of a public career and the kind of 'acceptable' life that went with it.

"So instead, I settled for the detached anonymity of the bookstores and rest stops - a compromise, but one that was wholly unfulfilling and morally unsatisfactory."
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 02:53:40 PM »

These things happen when you elect those sorts of people.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 02:54:42 PM »

That's just super.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 03:21:59 PM »

HAHAHA.  Rest stops! That is such a cliche.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 03:24:12 PM »

What's wrong with rest stops?  I mean it is New Jersey.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 03:59:22 PM »

What's wrong with them is they're in New Jersey.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 04:05:59 PM »

What 'sorts' of people States?

For the record I find McGreevey's actions apalling as I would find the actions of anyone, gay or straight who cruised for sex.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 04:23:19 PM »

You're looking for Fuji apples on a crabapple tree.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 04:24:21 PM »

My question is . . . how was this done?  Is there some sort of designated "gay hook-up" reststop somewhere?  Or was he coordinating these escapades?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 04:26:02 PM »

Yeah, men.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 05:13:29 PM »

For the record I find McGreevey's actions apalling as I would find the actions of anyone, gay or straight who cruised for sex.

Why, afleitch?  It is fun!

Correct, Lewis Trondheim!  Homosexual men are no different from heterosexual men in their sexual impulses, they just don't have the brake of female sexuality applied.  (prostitution being the only way round this.. thrice today btw!)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 05:41:17 PM »

Would anyone give two brass monkey's if he been f***king women in these sh*tholes?
Not as much anyway.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 06:04:40 PM »

The above headline would not exactly impress me either.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 08:59:53 PM »

My question is . . . how was this done?  Is there some sort of designated "gay hook-up" reststop somewhere?  Or was he coordinating these escapades?

this is a common practice, modu.  rest stops and public park bathrooms are commonly used for gay sex, primarily by men who are living life as straights.  surely, youve seen the writing on the stalls.

i suspect nowadays the internet facilitates such activities.

the real crime is the fact that america is still too backwards to totally accept gays, leaving some men (and women) to frightened to come out of the closet.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 10:23:02 PM »

It's people like this that give the average person a negative impression of gay people.

I would say the majority of gays are not into such random acts of sex....or at least not anymore so than the average straight person.  It's just that random gay sex is for some reason considered worse than random straight sex.  But this is the case for almost any minority--outcast from society for doing pretty much the exact same thing as the majority.

And in just the same way this puts a negative spin on gay people, it also puts a negative spin on straight people for consistently bringing up the worst in the homosexual community just to show how "gross" it is.  Get a life.  Write an article people will actually want to read; do something productive with your day.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 05:02:37 AM »

When I saw the headline on Drudge I was like "oh s---, not again."

I was annoyed by the story. He's the frickin Governor and he's cruising rest stops? What an embarrasment to the community, now people will think everyone does this. The details were far too salacious to have anything to do with politics. I loved how it said he was going on Oprah! What a joke.

I supported him when he came out but this is just too much.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 07:11:01 AM »

this is a common practice, modu.  rest stops and public park bathrooms are commonly used for gay sex, primarily by men who are living life as straights.  surely, youve seen the writing on the stalls.

i suspect nowadays the internet facilitates such activities.

the real crime is the fact that america is still too backwards to totally accept gays, leaving some men (and women) to frightened to come out of the closet.

hahaha . . . I only see female names scrolled in reststop bathroom stalls.  *laughs*  Of course, I doubt the reststops in questions are the ones on the NJ Turnpike.  Those facilities are crowded all day long.  There must be smaller, insignificant ones off of I-95 or something.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 10:41:12 AM »

I think I'd equally appalled if he was scoring with women in rest stops.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 12:12:25 PM »

What really gets me is that McGreevey was too much of a cheap and lazy  to drive through Lincoln Tunnel to the Central Park Rambles. Much higher level of clientele there than disgusting population of NJ.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies