Allen wins Wisconsin straw poll.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:10:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Allen wins Wisconsin straw poll.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Allen wins Wisconsin straw poll.  (Read 2990 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2006, 02:19:09 PM »

1. Allen 61 (votes)
2. Rudy Giuliani 60
3. Newt Gingrich 53
4. Condi Rice 50

http://www.wispolitics.com/index.iml?Article=62647
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 02:45:06 PM »

Well, that's not hard.  Gingrich isn't happening, and Guilani and Rice don't have much of a shot at the nomination.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 03:10:18 PM »

What the hell is Newt Gingrich doing on there?

These results are meaningless.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 03:11:22 PM »

So, do you think the nomination will be between Rudy and Allen, with the other getting the VP nomination?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 03:12:37 PM »

Maybe you're the only one not aware that he has said that he's considering a run.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 03:20:59 PM »

Maybe you're the only one not aware that he has said that he's considering a run.

Oh, really?

That would be interesting.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 03:28:50 PM »

Rudy only lost by one vote. He is starting to gain ground in the midwest. Before Rudy was being seriously considered as a viable candidate, Allen dominated the area.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 03:52:40 PM »

Oh, really?

That would be interesting.

I guess. He won't go far in the primaries though.
skybridge
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 04:07:25 PM »

Rudy only lost by one vote. He is starting to gain ground in the midwest. Before Rudy was being seriously considered as a viable candidate, Allen dominated the area.

And before Allen was even considered a mainstream candidate, Rudy was usually one of the frontrunners with McCain. It's doubtful he'll win the nomination, though, unless the Republicans want to appeal more strongly to social moderates.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 04:37:10 PM »

So, do you think the nomination will be between Rudy and Allen, with the other getting the VP nomination?

i would love it if that happens. democrats would take the elections by storm!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 05:09:56 PM »

As the campaign kicks up Allen will probably pull ahead by a little more.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 06:30:56 PM »

And before Allen was even considered a mainstream candidate, Rudy was usually one of the frontrunners with McCain. It's doubtful he'll win the nomination, though, unless the Republicans want to appeal more strongly to social moderates.

I honestly don't think the Republicans are as focused on social issues as they were in 2000 and 2004. Most of them want tougher immigration policies and fiscal responsiblity. Seeing as how Rudy offers both, I think they will over look his pro-choice and pro-gay rights stances.

McCain is dead though, he is to the left of Bush on immigration and has a very fuzzy fiscal policy. No chance for him.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 07:17:58 PM »

Allen "won" with 61 votes.

That should tell you all you need to know about how important this is.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 08:20:18 PM »

I honestly don't think the Republicans are as focused on social issues as they were in 2000 and 2004. Most of them want tougher immigration policies and fiscal responsiblity. Seeing as how Rudy offers both, I think they will over look his pro-choice and pro-gay rights stances.

McCain is dead though, he is to the left of Bush on immigration and has a very fuzzy fiscal policy. No chance for him.

Wrong-o.  McCain will do much better because for all his cloaking of it, he's actually a conservative.  Rudy will be dead because he's pro-choice, period.  There's no way in hell that we nominate a pro-choice candidate, only in John Wellsland does that ever happen.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 09:52:57 PM »

Newt Gingrich for president. *snort* Like that'll ever happen.  No way he gets republican nomination.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 10:17:16 PM »

Wrong-o.  McCain will do much better because for all his cloaking of it, he's actually a conservative.  Rudy will be dead because he's pro-choice, period.  There's no way in hell that we nominate a pro-choice candidate, only in John Wellsland does that ever happen.

Than it's fair to say that the Republicans are morons. If they would pass up a likeable candidate with leadership qualities over a pathetic nothing issue like abortion than they don't deserve to be in office.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 12:52:09 AM »

We consider abortion murder.  Thus not pathetic.

Learn to understand how the other side views issues.  It helps.  A lot.
skybridge
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 09:43:37 AM »

But at the same time neither war nor the death penalty are murder?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 10:17:53 AM »

War is not murder if you get attacked or are liberating an oppressive dictator. And the death penalty isn't murder if that other person has killed someone and the jury decides that death is the proper penalty.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 11:38:39 AM »

War is not murder if you get attacked or are liberating an oppressive dictator. And the death penalty isn't murder if that other person has killed someone and the jury decides that death is the proper penalty.

what about when u liberate the opressive dictator, but still stay in the country and kill innocent men women and children, and then try to frame them as being potential suicide bombers. is that not murder?
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 11:43:48 AM »

Do you consider the evaporating of fetal matter to be more of a pressing issue than balancing the budget, national security, and border control? I understand how social right-wingers feel on the issue - I disagree, but I understand. The truth is that I don't care. Whether you are pro-choice or anti-choice, pro-life or pro-abortion...if you hold such a miniscule issue in higher regard to the economy and national security than you are an imbecile.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 02:51:57 PM »

Do you consider the evaporating of fetal matter to be more of a pressing issue than balancing the budget, national security, and border control? I understand how social right-wingers feel on the issue - I disagree, but I understand. The truth is that I don't care. Whether you are pro-choice or anti-choice, pro-life or pro-abortion...if you hold such a miniscule issue in higher regard to the economy and national security than you are an imbecile.

Your statement, "The truth is that I don't care,"  is clear.  You obviously don't. 

However, your statement, "the evaporating of fetal matter," belies your statement, "I disagree, but I understand."  Your own words show you don't understand at all.  If you did understand, you would not be so callous.

And referring to anyone else as an "imbecile," as you have, demonstrates a total lack of respect, tolerance, and understanding of the views of others.

George W. Hobbes was simply expressing a valid point, and that should be treated with respect, not derision.

Everyone understands that any one particular issue is only part of a much larger picture.     
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 03:11:03 PM »

Murder means "unlawfully taking someone's life."  It is true that the death penalty isn't murder, because it's not unlawful.  Then again, neither is abortion.

I do not see how a jury deciding on something makes it not murder.  If a jury decided to sentence a parking ticket violator to being stoned to death, would that be not murder?  That's ridiculous.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 03:23:44 PM »

Your statement, "The truth is that I don't care,"  is clear.  You obviously don't. 

However, your statement, "the evaporating of fetal matter," belies your statement, "I disagree, but I understand."  Your own words show you don't understand at all.  If you did understand, you would not be so callous.

And referring to anyone else as an "imbecile," as you have, demonstrates a total lack of respect, tolerance, and understanding of the views of others.

George W. Hobbes was simply expressing a valid point, and that should be treated with respect, not derision.

Everyone understands that any one particular issue is only part of a much larger picture.     

I didn't call anyone particular  an imbecile, it was a generalization of all "social voters" whether they be pro-choice or not. No direct connection to Hobbes there. I think it's a fair claim to say that people who vote on a social basis are imbeciles (which by the way - by modern usage is closer to goof than idiot). The economy should never take a back seat to the economy and security and I find it hard to take anyone seriously that would imply otherwise.

And yes I do understand, they believe it's murder. I happen to disagree and believe that it's the evaporation of a blotch of fetal matter. I can understand how they would believe otherwise...but I don't agree. So I'm not going wishy wash my stance to be nice.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 06:21:23 PM »

I didn't call anyone particular  an imbecile, it was a generalization of all "social voters" whether they be pro-choice or not. No direct connection to Hobbes there. I think it's a fair claim to say that people who vote on a social basis are imbeciles (which by the way - by modern usage is closer to goof than idiot). The economy should never take a back seat to the economy and security and I find it hard to take anyone seriously that would imply otherwise.

And yes I do understand, they believe it's murder. I happen to disagree and believe that it's the evaporation of a blotch of fetal matter. I can understand how they would believe otherwise...but I don't agree. So I'm not going wishy wash my stance to be nice.

It is somewhat arrogant to believe that you are the only one capable of deciding which issues are important and which aren't. It's not "obvious".

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies