State Department
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:38:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  State Department
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: State Department  (Read 5425 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2006, 11:48:41 AM »

Welcome Citizens of Atlasia, to the office of the 11th Secretary of State.

This morning, as we are all to painfully aware, an earthquake has struck the Indonesian island of Java resulting in a death toll of 3000, and rising and countless thousands injured, sick and homeless. The Indonesian Red Cross estimates some 200,000 people fled their homes after the quake hit early in the morning, and consequently, many of these people may not have homes to return to. It is our duty, as a member of the international community to respond to this situation as it unfolds and to act promptly to stem any long term affects that result.

The United Kingdom has promised aid. I received a curteous welcome from International Development Secretary Hilary Benn. He said "We're ready to give help - that's what Britain does.'' Ladies and gentlemen; that is also what the Republic of Atlasia does. I have contacted the embassy in Jakarta who have dispatched a team to investigate this on going crises. I will have further such meetings with humanitarian representatives and the Indonesian ambassador later today and I will you all informed as to further developments.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 12:13:59 PM »

With the death toll rising to close to 4500, I have ringfenced $20 million from the International Disaster Assistance budget to be allocated for immediate emergency relef for the island of Java. The budget for the last financial itself will be tabulated and ready for public inspection in the coming weeks. (I'm using US figures and adjusting them; better that than just make them up)

I will be keeping a close eye on the current situation in East Timor, which I believe Australia has handled with skill and sensitivity. I do not believe Atlasia shall be involved with the situation in East Timor for the forseeable future, but should the situation deteriorate we will review any requests for assistance.

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 02:45:37 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nooooo, we must donate our entire budget to help them Cry
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 01:02:34 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nooooo, we must donate our entire budget to help them Cry

The Aussies are taking care of the Timor situation rather nicely Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 04:30:43 PM »

NEWS ROUNDUP (It'll brief- I'm not Reuters Wink )

I think the whole of Atlasia is aware that there have been significant terror raids in Canada and the United Kingdom. We are of course keeping a close eye on the investigations taking place.

Yet another bomb in Basra has claimed at least 28 lives and maimed three times more.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 02:08:07 PM »

SOMALIA LATEST

Islamist guerillas have seized cvontrol of Somalia, which has been without a central government for over a decade. If they embed and declare jurisdiction and authority over all, or a part of Somalia they will not be supported by the Atlasian government. They claim to offer peace and order, in reality they offer neither; nothing but false hope and a power fuelled by religious fervour. Needless to say we will be watching the situation in Somalia extremely carefully.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 03:00:03 PM »

*cough*Somaliland*cough*
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 03:39:35 PM »

It's not the same. Infact the current situation could undermine Somalias quasi-independence.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 12:07:56 PM »

It's not the same. Infact the current situation could undermine Somalias quasi-independence.

Not if Senator ILV and I have anything to say about it. Wink

And in Atlasia, Somaliland is a recognized independent state. That was my doing, after all. Grin
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 08:31:49 PM »

Could the secretary please clarify what "pro-israel in [all] aspects" means?

If you knew me you would be aware of my support for Israel as a democratic 'bolthole' in the Middle East. But supporting free trade with Jordan does not make me anti-Israeli

I wasn't asking that.

I'm saying a secretary of state should not be so biased towards one country.

Thats exactly what a Secretary of State should be if he or she believes it to be in the best interests of Atlasia to support a key world ally. Foreign policy has never been and never can be impartial; I am no isolationist.

Supporting the entire nation of Israel is EVERY aspect is extreme. I don't support any country in every aspect.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 04:39:28 AM »

Could the secretary please clarify what "pro-israel in [all] aspects" means?

If you knew me you would be aware of my support for Israel as a democratic 'bolthole' in the Middle East. But supporting free trade with Jordan does not make me anti-Israeli

I wasn't asking that.

I'm saying a secretary of state should not be so biased towards one country.

Thats exactly what a Secretary of State should be if he or she believes it to be in the best interests of Atlasia to support a key world ally. Foreign policy has never been and never can be impartial; I am no isolationist.

Supporting the entire nation of Israel is EVERY aspect is extreme. I don't support any country in every aspect.

I have never said at any point I support EVERY aspect of Israel, you have merely translated what I have said about my support for Israel, into implying that I support everything Israel does. Smiley  Of course I don't, particularly where their interests are not our interests and I do have concerns over some of their action. But theres no sitting on the fence here, I support Isreal over Palestine which has an appalling human rights record.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 06:56:50 AM »
« Edited: June 11, 2006, 07:22:27 AM by afleitch »

BUDGET FOR 2006

(Creamed from the US SoS figures)

The State Department was allocated a reduced budget of budget of 7 billion at the end of 2005. It's previous budget was 10 billion of which it spent 9.4 billion. In 2006 we expect to spend 6.6 billion. The following statistics show the largest or most prominant areas of expenditure.

By the end of 2006....

The State Department will have spent spent 4.48 billion on Foreign Operations.

Out of this 4.48 billion, 394 million will be spent on the Child Survival & Health Programs Fund, 324 million on Development Assistance and 100 million on International Disaster Assistance, up 35 million due to the after effects of the tsunami and crisis in the Darfur region.

On the economic side, 611 million will be spent on our Economic Support Fund, 1.003 billion on Foreign Military Financing and 323 million on Multilateral Development Banking.

Our Commere, Justice and State arena we will have spent an allocated  2.142 billion of which 1.019 billion will be invested in Diplomatic and Consular Programs and 351 million on Embassy Security, Construction and Maintenance.

-------------------

The slashing of State Department funding, as can be seen will have effects on our representation across the world and on our embassy security in particular. Health programs and Development Aid has also seen its budget slashed by up to a third. Cuts have occured across the board and the full effects will not be seen until next year. I am concerned however that our response to any international natural disaster or terrorist attack will be weakened as a result.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 05:59:51 PM »

With the independence of Montenegro, may I suggest that the FPR be updated to state that no military nor economic restrictions will apply to either Serbia or Monetenegro as independent entinites. May I also draw to attention the fact that hostilities have existed between Atlasia and Serbia in the recent past, and while Milosevics' nationalism as a brute political force has somewhat subsidied, we should remain on guard towards any internal changes in Serbian policy that may endanger Kosovo, Vojvodina or her neighbours.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 02:23:19 PM »

North Korea

North Korea's threatened missile launch is of grave regional and international concern. South Korea and Japan are key allies in the region and their safety is paramount (lets say I dont trust North Korean missile guidance technology!)

Such a missile has a range that would allow it to strike Alaska and other Atlasian conerns in the Pacific. Australia has threatened to downgrade diplomatic ties. At present I believe that we have international support in the condemnation of North Korea and I will keep a close eye on international opinion and take joint or individual diplomatic action against North Korea should the situation escalate.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 11:30:42 AM »

NORTH KOREA: UPDATE.

An emergency meeting of the UN Security Council has been announced, after North Korea test-fired its seventh missile within 12 hours. One of these missiles may have been capable of reaching Atlasian soil. We will not tolerate such contemptuous posturing, however, luckily the said missile failed 40 minutes into its flight. Japan may consider immediate economic sanctions against North Korea, which we will support. North Korea talks herself up, but while threats such as these must be taken with the utmost caution we must aslo take them very seriously indeed.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 08:35:40 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2006, 08:43:31 PM by afleitch »

MIDDLE EAST UPDATE

As we are all well aware the current crisis in southern Lebanon has been unexpected and was unthinkable a few short months ago, but we must understand Israels intent. We also have to remember that Atlasia's war in Afghanistan was not a war against Afghanistan or even directly, the Taliban. It was a war against Al Qaeda who used Afghanistan as a base for terrorist activities aided and uncontested by the ruling Taliban regime. Their downfall was a welcome side effect of this action. Likewise Lebanon's reluctance to clamp down on Hezbollah and their operations within Lebanese soil has provoked Israel into action. They have taken it upon themselves to cut away at the cancer that is Hezbollah.

Hezbollah terrorists have, through their actions turned southern Lebanon and it seems, the northernmost fringes of Israel into a war zone and are intentionally operating near population centres as opposed to the, using civilians as human shields even if those civilians, huddled in their homes are unaware of the intentional danger that Hezbollah have placed them. Civilians in southern Lebanon are not considered enemies by the Israeli Defense Force and are the innocent casualties in Hezbollahs futile chess game.

Any possible ceasefire must be on Israel's terms and their terms alone.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 01:44:07 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5218036.stm
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 03:20:07 PM »

Mr. Secretary of State,
I don't believe that there is any conflict in the Middle East since it has not been reported in the news source of the GM thus I must state that I think that until such a time as it is reported by the GM as an event it should be considered an event that is occuring in the real world which is not concurrent within the realm of Atlasia. If the GM were to do something as easy as cutting and pasting a RL news article about the attacks into the AWN thread then it would be an actual game event.

Until that time I believe we should continue as if it is not happening since the GM, or GMs, regulate the events occuring within the world of Atlasia.

So AWN get off your God damn high horse and actually get down to the business of being GM. I don't even care if you plagarize but at least give us a thumbs up or down on whether the Israel-Lebanon crisis is in game or out of game.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 03:26:35 PM »

It has been based on reliable intercepted broadcasts from the outside world Wink Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 05:05:36 AM »

Mr. Secretary of State,
I don't believe that there is any conflict in the Middle East since it has not been reported in the news source of the GM thus I must state that I think that until such a time as it is reported by the GM as an event it should be considered an event that is occuring in the real world which is not concurrent within the realm of Atlasia. If the GM were to do something as easy as cutting and pasting a RL news article about the attacks into the AWN thread then it would be an actual game event.

Until that time I believe we should continue as if it is not happening since the GM, or GMs, regulate the events occuring within the world of Atlasia.

So AWN get off your God damn high horse and actually get down to the business of being GM. I don't even care if you plagarize but at least give us a thumbs up or down on whether the Israel-Lebanon crisis is in game or out of game.

Is AWN or TD's Midgard Wire Service responsible for foreign affairs?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 07:30:05 AM »

Mr. Secretary of State,

TD it seems but AWN will probably debate that.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2006, 10:29:35 AM »

Mr. Secretary of State,

Yeah I don't care who does it just someone in the GM team get a move on.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 10:02:16 PM »

Mr. Secretary of State,

I didn't see this.  Before TD's resignation, we both handled foreign affairs, but TD was restricted to just handling it, FYI.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006, 11:54:59 PM »

The AWN made no agreements with anyone over foreign affairs. Carl may have said some things, but he does not speak on behalf of the AWN without my permission, likewise I cannot speak on behalf of the AWN without his.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2006, 03:53:48 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2006, 04:01:18 PM by afleitch »

As requested by Senator Masterjedi a map of our Free Trade agreements. Those in pink are pending.

UPDATED
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies