Straight party voting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:55:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Straight party voting
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How much of an effect does straight party voting have on Gubernatorial elections
None

Little Amount (<2%)

Moderate Amount (2.1-5%)

Large Amount (5.1-10%)

Huge Amount (>10%)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Straight party voting  (Read 1787 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2006, 11:27:55 PM »

I am curious--this came up on my Governor poll.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 12:01:44 AM »

I would say option 2. Most voters are more than willing to vote a split ticket, but for those who are truly undecided on a race, they are probably  more likely to vote a straight ticket.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 09:52:00 AM »

Small amount (<2%), at least in midterms.  Larger in presidential elections.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 10:53:59 AM »

Otpion 3, a Moderate Amount.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 03:15:15 PM »

I'm not sure what you are asking.

Are you referring to states that have formal straight ticket voting, mark one box and you have voted for every candidate of the party?   Or just cases where a voter votes for the same party in every race?

And what sort of effect are you thinking of?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 03:18:12 PM »

What percentage did that racist nutjob disavowed by the Republican Party get in that one Tennessee district, just for an R by his name? 15%? And that was in a largely rural and smalltown district, in suburbia it would have been far higher (his strongholds were in the suburbs.)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 09:32:47 PM »

Are you referring to states that have formal straight ticket voting, mark one box and you have voted for every candidate of the party?   Or just cases where a voter votes for the same party in every race?

I am talking about states that have formal straight ticket voting.  The effect I'm referring to is for example--Michigan--normally a Democrat state--so the effect on DeVos because of straight ticket voting would be -3% we'll say (or +3% for Granholm).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 09:35:37 PM »

A good example of how straight party voting effects a race was the one between Spence Abraham and Debbie Stabinow in Michigan in 2000.  Abraham was ahead in the polls but since Al Gore won the state with a decent margin, Debbie Stabinow won the election.  I am the one who started this controversy with a comment in an earlier post.  I feel that due to the dislike of Republican George W. Bush and a strong desire to vote Democratic this fall by a few more people than usual, Mr DeVos will be swept to sea by people who just say "vote the bums out" and mark straight Democrat - along with their vote for Senator Satabinow.   This should give the governor a small, but significant advantage.

Let us never forget that most people don't understand the issues and candidates like those of us here do, and vote based on a much more simplistic approach.  If the trend is still swinging Democrat this fall.......

You bring up a very good point here--I was really thinking about a state anti-Republican trend, but really it all boils down to the President.  Good observation.
Republican Michigander

Political Matrix
E: 5.81, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 10:51:53 PM »

I voted for the straight ticket ban even though it benefits my county. I hate straight tickets and consider that a lazy option.

I think straight ticket voting has some major effects in some areas and minor effects in others.

About 54-55% of the vote in my county (Livingston) was straight ticket Republican. Almost 63% went to Bush. Mike Rogers got over 70% here. In my case, I never click the straight ticket lever and go through every single race. If it ends up going straight ticket (All except two minor races (one was unopposed who I didn't care for) were in 04), that's fine, but I want to make sure I at least look at every single race.

What's bad about straight ticket is that it helps some real bums - in either party. Look at Wayne County and the mess its in.

In 2004, Bush was a major help in some areas and a drag on other areas. Two state reps in Jackson probably won because of Bush's coattails. Bush overperformed there with 55% That stopped two strong democrats running against Republicans who won divided primaries. Bush had the opposite effect in Washtenaw County, where Ann Arbor's surrounding areas took a strong left turn - joining A2. Two contested state rep seats flipped, and an incumbent lost thanks to Pittsfield township's bigger than normal dem margins. .

Overall though - especially here, there are a lot of ticket splitters. Grand Rapids went dem in a big way, but Jerry Kooiman held on and won. Gary McDowell with NRA help took out a former state senator in a 57% Bush district (less GOP local level) Bush was unable to help a bum candidate over in Sanilac County/Port Huron. 55% for the dem state rep and 55% for Bush.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 01:06:37 AM »

Little in the Governor's race, but it has a greater effect the further down the ballot one goes.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 01:48:15 AM »

The answer to this I'd say is: turnout in presidential elections minus the turnout for midterms.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 02:28:33 AM »

Not a very big impact. 2002 is a great example, you had a national tide towards the GOP in the Senate and House races, but the Democrats had the momentum in the Gubernatorial ones, with Dems winning WY (Bush's best state in '00) and other GOP strongholds like KS and OK, even with 43's approval rating at 65% at the time. That shows that at the state level, voters will vote for different parties than the ones they send to Washington.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 03:39:36 AM »

I am talking about states that have formal straight ticket voting.  The effect I'm referring to is for example--Michigan--normally a Democrat state--so the effect on DeVos because of straight ticket voting would be -3% we'll say (or +3% for Granholm).
I would think there would be very little effect at the top of the ticket.  If someone is going to vote straight ticket and the option weren't available, they'd still vote for the candidates at the top of the ticket.  They may not bother to go down the ballot if they couldn't vote straight ticket.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies