State of Fear is brilliant (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:06:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  State of Fear is brilliant (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State of Fear is brilliant  (Read 8846 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: May 31, 2006, 02:32:51 AM »

I think this is a pretty fair-handed (negative) analysis of the book.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 12:39:50 AM »

Unless "MD" stands for "meteorology degree," that just proves that he's a smart guy (which no one's contesting), but I still think the majority opinion of those in the meteorological field should - at least initially - be held in greater regard.

The idea is not that his success as a writer precludes him from being accomplished in something else.  The idea is that his not being a meteorologist and not having studied the field makes his deep hobbyist opinion slightly less educated than those who have spent their entire lives in the meteorological field of study.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 01:26:31 AM »

Unless "MD" stands for "meteorology degree," that just proves that he's a smart guy (which no one's contesting), but I still think the majority opinion of those in the meteorological field should - at least initially - be held in greater regard.

The idea is not that his success as a writer precludes him from being accomplished in something else.  The idea is that his not being a meteorologist and not having studied the field makes his deep hobbyist opinion slightly less educated than those who have spent their entire lives in the meteorological field of study.

Again, this is an argument to authority.  It doesn't even attempt to address the scientific substance of Chrichton's points.  In any debate you can find some expert who agrees with your side which is why the argument to authority is called a fallacy in the first place.

Substance, please.

I am not saying that it makes it correct, so, no, I am not arguing argument to authority.  I would, however, like to a see a response to TheLoneLiberal's review, which seems plausible to me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies