State of Fear is brilliant (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:17:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  State of Fear is brilliant (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State of Fear is brilliant  (Read 8848 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: May 30, 2006, 07:18:41 PM »

By Michael Chrichton.  I hardly ever read fiction any more, but since this novel has academic citations I'll forgive myself the indulgence.  I no longer believe in global warming.  The book absolutely demolishes the arguments for global warming, and I checked up on the evidence presented and found it all to be correct.  "Global warming" as popularly presented, is simply ridiculous.

Highly recommended.

Um... lol? *hopeful grin*
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 07:01:05 AM »

I think this is a pretty fair-handed (negative) analysis of the book.

Yup, which is why I'm hoping John is trying to be funny.  I love wunderground Grin
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 08:39:24 PM »

So you believe a science fiction writer over a meteorologist, along with about 99% of the scientific community.

Mmmmmmmmmkayyyyyyyy...

*shakes head* I'm sorry man, but my respect for you has just plummeted.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 11:01:24 AM »

Yes.  Even if global warming is not completely human-based (and its not), since when does that preclude the need for we as a species to prepare for said global warming, and to insure that as many species as possible survive said warming?  As far as I'm concerned, we're here bickering about whose fault it is that the Titanic struck an iceberg while Leonardo di Caprio and Kate Winslet are sloshing around in the chilly North Atlantic waiting for a lifeboat Wink
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 02:27:54 PM »

So you believe a science fiction writer over a meteorologist, along with about 99% of the scientific community.

Mmmmmmmmmkayyyyyyyy...

*shakes head* I'm sorry man, but my respect for you has just plummeted.

He's a science hater, he doesn't believe in evolution.

Since no one has ever adequately explained the medhanism by which genetics change in response to the environment, no I cannot believe fully in evolution.

They don't change in response to the environment.  For instance, the fish in the ocean did not develop legs because there was a need to go on land.  The fish in the ocean instead developed a random mutation, proto-legs, which just happened to aid in their survival, probably by letting them run onto land for short times to escape from predators.  Those fish thus lived longer, allowing them to reproduce more, thus propagating that freak mutation.  Over time, more and more random mutations built up to the point where fish could walk on land.

That's a bit simplistic, but eh.  The point is, mutations do not occur as a response to the environment (with the exception of radiation, but that was rather rare before humans).  They may develop mutations that allow them to live longer in the environment in which they live (or in some cases, in different environments), but the mutations to not come about because of the environment.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies