State of Fear is brilliant (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:57:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  State of Fear is brilliant (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State of Fear is brilliant  (Read 8844 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: June 03, 2006, 09:37:20 PM »

So you believe a science fiction writer over a meteorologist, along with about 99% of the scientific community.

Mmmmmmmmmkayyyyyyyy...

*shakes head* I'm sorry man, but my respect for you has just plummeted.

He's a science hater, he doesn't believe in evolution.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 09:43:31 PM »

I had a lengthy post on this topic on another thread, so I won't copy it all here. What I will mention is that until about three years ago I was quite a skeptic of the causal relation between human effects and warming. The paper I cite in the above link I found to be an excellent study to answer exactly that question. The study found that both natural and human effects played a role, and I don't find their conclusions particularly extremist. However, many who read them cannot escape the evidence for human contribution to warming, and this leads to more dramatic statements in the media.

Obviously there's a variety of things that can influence the global climate in possibly non-linear ways. However, CO2 is the dominant greenhouse gas, and ice samples have shown it to be fairly correlated with temperature. Together with experiments that show greenhouse gases effects on temperature, we can assume some causality.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies