Atlasian-Morocco Free Trade Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 12:19:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian-Morocco Free Trade Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Atlasian-Morocco Free Trade Bill  (Read 6237 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2006, 04:39:23 AM »

I, hereby, introduce the following amendment:

3. This Agreement requires a commitment on the part of Morocco to make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights. This will be monitored by the Secretary of State in accordance with the terms of the Foreign Policy Review Act. Should he determine that Morocco is regressing on its commitment, and then he shall either (depending on the severity of the regress):

a. Request that the Senate introduce an appropriate tariff either on:

i. Selected Moroccan goods
ii. All Moroccan goods

b. Request that the Senate revoke the Agreement with Morocco in its entirety

'Hawk'

This is pretty useless. It has nothing to do with the agreement and seems more appropriate as a resolution. Plus it's pretty obvious, if the country starts getting real bad we just repeal the free trade agreement by introducing a bill that says so. I will be voting against this and urge all Senators to as well. The bill is fine in its original state.

I have written this amendment because I feel it should be national policy and part and parcel of any free trade agreement where countries fall well short of the democratic ideal. I'm not going to support free trade willy nilly to all and sundry, especially if they have a poor record on human rights, which is why this amendment is nothing short of reasonable Smiley and I urge that the Senate support it

Furthermore, I think it's necessary to stipulate that nations, such as Morocco, should make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights, as a condition of free trade agreements, and any regress towards such values, on the part of Morocco, cannot, and should not, be tolerated

Morocco ought to consider themselves darn fortunate that they are even being considered for free trade with Atlasia

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2006, 05:27:43 AM »

I made this statement on my official thread with regards to this amendment and to the amendment I have proposed on the Atlasian-Singapore Free Trade Bill:

Basically, I don’t see why Atlasia should enter free trade agreements with nations, who have a dubious human rights record. Therefore, as a condition of any free trade agreement, nations such as Morocco and Singapore should commit themselves to making progress towards becoming a functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights

Naturally, I understand that this will take time for Morocco and Singapore to accomplish, so I’ve proposed that they be monitored by the Secretary of State, in accordance with the terms of the Foreign Policy Review Act, in the event of these agreements being passed by the Senate and signed into Law. Should he determine that Morocco or Singapore is regressing on its commitment then he can request that the Senate take action either through partial tariffs, full tariffs or by revoking the agreement in its entirety depending on the severity of such regress. If they renege on their commitment then it’s only just that they take the consequences

Atlasia, after all, is the greatest democracy on Earth and we should be doing all that we possibly can to encourage democracy throughout the Second and Third World (and even recalcitrant First World nations with poor human rights records) and I see Free Trade agreements as a means whereby we can realise that vision of the liberal demoratic ideal

I urge that the Senate concur Smiley

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2006, 06:14:58 AM »

I hereby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

3. This Agreement requires a commitment on the part of Morocco to make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights. This will be monitored by the Secretary of State in accordance with the terms of the Foreign Policy Review Act. Should he determine that Morocco is regressing on its commitment, and then he shall either (depending on the severity of the regress):

a. Request that the Senate introduce an appropriate tariff either on:

i. Selected Moroccan goods
ii. All Moroccan goods

b. Request that the Senate revoke the Agreement with Morocco in its entirety

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2006, 06:15:33 AM »

Nay
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2006, 11:08:10 AM »

Nay
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2006, 12:31:19 PM »

Aye

'Hawk'
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2006, 11:24:09 PM »

Aye
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2006, 07:42:56 AM »

Aye
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2006, 09:52:03 AM »

Yup
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2006, 07:36:11 AM »

Abstain.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2006, 11:52:42 AM »

Aye.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2006, 12:19:01 PM »

This amendment has passed.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2006, 04:57:08 PM »

I think you folks are missing the point of this bill. Free Trade with Atlasia should not be offered as a reward, rather it should be offered up as an expectation of an active participant in the world economy. Restricting trade activities simply because the country in question is not completely democratic is foolish.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2006, 05:00:02 PM »

I think you folks are missing the point of this bill. Free Trade with Atlasia should not be offered as a reward, rather it should be offered up as an expectation of an active participant in the world economy. Restricting trade activities simply because the country in question is not completely democratic is foolish.
Very good point.

Furthermore: Free trade does not merely benefit the exporter; it benefits the importer as well. Why should Atlasian citizens be denied the benefits of importing foreign goods, merely because some other country happens to be undemocratic? 
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2006, 06:11:21 PM »

Very good point.

Furthermore: Free trade does not merely benefit the exporter; it benefits the importer as well. Why should Atlasian citizens be denied the benefits of importing foreign goods, merely because some other country happens to be undemocratic? 

I don't see why this Bill if passed would deny Atlasian citizens the benefit of importing Moroccan goods at all, it's not as though my amendment is proposing an embargo on Moroccan goods. Far from it but if they step out of line then they can take the consequences. The ball will be in their court not ours. Thus, its in the interests of our citizens for Morocco to make progress towards becoming a fully-functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights because if they do so, then they won't be in breach of our agreement; whereby, free trade and the benefits to both Atlasia and Morocco would continue

Furthermore, what is morally and ethically just Smiley should be central to Atlasia's free trade policy. Matters political and economic are not mutually exclusive after all

'Hawk'
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2006, 06:35:52 PM »

I don't see why this Bill if passed would deny Atlasian citizens the benefit of importing Moroccan goods at all, it's not as though my amendment is proposing an embargo on Moroccan goods.
The importation of many, perhaps most, Moroccan goods will be effectively prohibited due to tariffs and import quotas.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
This bill is not an agreement; it is an unilateral act of a single nation.

Is it just to deny person A (of Atlasia) the right to trade with person M (of Morocco), merely because the latter's government is corrupt? Why should individual people suffer for the abuses committed by any government?
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2006, 06:38:52 PM »

Very good point.

If we completely globalize, then we would destroy our own self sufficiency.  What if industries in a couple countries started to fail?  Ina free trade world it could crash the entire global economy in days, since noi nations would be able to withstand it.  We have seen what our dependence on foreign oil has led to and it would be very sad if we became dependent on other countries for everything.

Also, free trade only benefits the importer if they are getting free trade in return.  Many countries in these bills don't have free tradwe with us, so only they benefit.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2006, 06:44:48 PM »

If we completely globalize, then we would destroy our own self sufficiency.  What if industries in a couple countries started to fail?
By that logic, New York should cut off trade with California, so that it can become self-sufficient, and so that it can remain unaffected by out-of-state industrial failures.

How so?
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2006, 06:54:25 PM »

If we completely globalize, then we would destroy our own self sufficiency.  What if industries in a couple countries started to fail?
By that logic, New York should cut off trade with California, so that it can become self-sufficient, and so that it can remain unaffected by out-of-state industrial failures.

How so?

Except New York and California can be regulated by Congress and the national government.  No such body exists over the world.

It would be a double hit to industry.  Not only do they have to compete with cheaper foreign goods, but they still have to spend more overseas.  The benfit to consumers would be negligible.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2006, 07:04:41 PM »

Except New York and California can be regulated by Congress and the national government.  No such body exists over the world.
In Atlasia, as in the United States the power to regulate industry technically does not belong to the federal government, but to the regions/states.

What is the basis for this claim? And, more importantly, why should I be prevented from trading with someone in Morocco, merely because some other industry might be harmed?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2006, 07:18:48 PM »

I don't see why this Bill if passed would deny Atlasian citizens the benefit of importing Moroccan goods at all, it's not as though my amendment is proposing an embargo on Moroccan goods.
The importation of many, perhaps most, Moroccan goods will be effectively prohibited due to tariffs and import quotas.

Not unless the Moroccan government reneges on its commitment to making progress towards becoming a fully-functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights. However, should the Secretary of State determine that Morocco acts regressively Sad, then he has the authority to request that the Senate invokes tariffs on all or selected Moroccan imports or revoke the agreement

This bill is not an agreement; it is an unilateral act of a single nation. [/quote]

Yes, and what a great single nation it is Smiley that is acting unilaterrally. Atlasia should be the vanguard in the global struggle for democracy, freedom and rights and if free trade is means of realising that, then so be it Smiley

Is it just to deny person A (of Atlasia) the right to trade with person M (of Morocco), merely because the latter's government is corrupt? Why should individual people suffer for the abuses committed by any government?
[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's my thinking the whole purpose of this Bill was to establish a free trade agreement between Atlasia and Morocco. Don't blame me if the Moroccan government is corrupt and commits abuses. Their problem not Atlasia's

'Hawk'
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2006, 07:24:20 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's my thinking the whole purpose of this Bill was to establish a free trade agreement between Atlasia and Morocco.
The purpose of the bill is not to establish free trade between Atlasia and Morocco, but, rather, to ensure that Moroccan goods can enter Atlasia without tariffs. The same is true of all the other free trade bills. All of them deal with what may enter Atlasia; none of them deal with what may enter the other countries.

This statement has been made by Senator Dave Hawk. But it could have very easily been made by a Moroccan citizen. Again, why should the people of Morocco suffer, and why should the people of Atlasia suffer, by being deprived of the ability to trade with each other, merely because the Moroccan government is corrupt?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2006, 04:57:45 AM »

Basically, I see this Bill has establishing free trade between Atlasia and Morocco, which is fair enough and this agreement would allow Moroccan goods to enter Atlasia without tariffs. In effect, therefore, it is hoped that this agreement will be of mutual benefit to both countries

However, as I have stated previously matters economic and matters political are not mutually exclusive and, frankly, I'm of the firm conviction that whoever Atlasia enters into free trade with should take into account the wider political context externally (i.e. on the basis of its diplomatic relations with Atlasia) and internally (i.e. on the basis of its human rights record). Yes, human rights do matter. Although Atlasia is acting unilaterally with regards to this agreement, it is, nevertheless in Morocco's economic interests that they comply with its terms. They'd be unwise to renege on that as it would jeopardise the agreement

Basically, free trade has advantages and disadvantages, benefits and costs, but Atlasia should never oppose free trade just for the sake of opposing it yet; however, at the same time, nor should Atlasia be giving carte blanche approval to free trade agreements with all and sundry, especially those countries with a poor track record on political freedoms and civil rights

Therefore, under the circumstances, for Atlasia to stipulate political conditions for Morocco to strive towards is only right and just; and should Morocco make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights then free trade will continue. Of course, I'm well aware that this is not going to happen overnight, and it would be naiive to think otherwise. Indeed, it could even take years to realise but if free trade can be seen as encouraging, and promoting, the liberal democratic ideal the much can be said in its favor. I see such a free trade agreement as a means of raising both the economic and political standards of Morocco to Atlasia's. That is how it should work; however, it will be a gradual and long-term process and it is important to remember that Morocco's free trade status with Atlasia will only be jeopardised if  political conditions in Morocco regress

All nations, who fall well short of the liberal democratic ideal and have a dubious, at best, and an appalling, at worst, human rights record, who are being considered for free trade agreements with Atlasia must in the long term prove themselves worthy of such agreements. It shouldn't be that difficult to comprehend

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2006, 05:17:31 AM »

This statement has been made by Senator Dave Hawk. But it could have very easily been made by a Moroccan citizen. Again, why should the people of Morocco suffer, and why should the people of Atlasia suffer, by being deprived of the ability to trade with each other, merely because the Moroccan government is corrupt?

I'm not talking 'suffering', far from it, I'm taking emancipation Smiley with liberal democracy, political freedom and civil rights and how free trade can be a means of realising that vision

If the free market is to be global ideal in terms of the economy, why can't liberal democracy be the global ideal form of government?

As I've stated time and time again, matters economic are not mutually exclusive from matters political. Originally, I had intended to call for  Morocco to meet certain minimum economic requirements (such as GDP and average wages relative to Atlasia) in order to be considered for free trade with Atlasia; but, given that this would have effectively ruled out the Second and Third World from such consideration, I felt it more appropriate to stipulate political conditions for Morocco to strive towards

Of course, I most sincerely hope that free trade between Atlasia and Morocco will have a positive impact and be to each others, and their people's, economic and political benefit. Therefore, I urge that the Senate pass the Atlasian-Moroccan Free Trade Bill in its current form Smiley

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2006, 12:21:04 PM »

I hereby open up the final vote on this bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies