Will Immagration Make The United States More Conservative Or More Liberal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:45:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will Immagration Make The United States More Conservative Or More Liberal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Will Immagration Make The United States More Conservative Or More Liberal?  (Read 22512 times)
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 10:10:23 AM »

The continental interior south of the great lakes desertifying plus the spread of tropical diseases northward will make people flee to the great lakes/coasts. Ah it will be nice to see the Northeast/great lakes/west coast having the whip hand in US politics permanently.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2007, 11:42:03 AM »

Populist I would say, by which I mean socially conservative, but economically moderate to liberal.  No wonder Bush wants immigration reform, by the issues, these are his kind of voters!
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 05:52:48 PM »

Lets keep in mind that the Hispanic vote will most likely switch from leans Democratic to more moderate of the next 25-30 years as Hispanics begin to move up the social-economic ladder.   
I doubt it. Mexican-Americans, and other Hispanics are naturally Democrats.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 06:09:35 PM »

Lets keep in mind that the Hispanic vote will most likely switch from leans Democratic to more moderate of the next 25-30 years as Hispanics begin to move up the social-economic ladder.   
They sure swung Republican from 2004-2006 Roll Eyes
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2007, 12:54:17 AM »

The immagration trend this country is currently going through is no diffrent from when our ancesters came to this country.

I cannot, and will not adress what the "immigtration trend" was when you ancestors came to this country, but, I can address the circumstances when most legal immigration did occur, and the differences between it and the current presence of illegal aliens in our country.

There is that pesky little concept of obeying immigtration laws.  Those persons who arrived in the great waves of legal immigration to the United States (circa 1850 = 1917), obeyed the laws, whereas current illegal aliens don't.

I am constantly amused by the absurd lingtuistic devices used to try to excuse illetgal activity.  Lets consider the current attempt to rename illegal aliens as 'undocumented' aliens.

Now, it seems to me that an account holder at a bank upon presentation of proper 'documents' can withdraw his/her money from said bank.  So, should a robber who doesn't have such documents have the right to make similiar withdrawls?

There were almost no immigration laws to ignore before the First World War. With the exception of the Chinese Exclusion Act, if people arrived in America and were healthy, they were generally admitted without the endless red tape that has since become synonymous with the immigration process.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2007, 06:57:04 AM »

Where Hispanics go in the coming decades depends as much as on which direction the Republicans go as anything else.

A very populist Republican party, one that deemphasizes economics in favor of "family values", will be very appealing to Catholic voters - and Hispanics are overwhelmingly Catholic. Republicans already hold a majority of white Catholics (a change over the past few decades), and a good 40% or so of Hispanics, so its not unreasonable that a small to moderate change in policy will swing a majority. The one problem with this is immigration issues: attempting to find a compromise between socially conservative Hispanics and socially conservative Midwesterners on this issue could be tricky; the coalition may well fall apart after a few elections, much like the Reagan coalition or the longer-lasting but still destroyed New Deal coalition.

A more 'paleo-conservative', 'fiscal conservative', or 'libertarian' Republican party, OTOH, will not gain much ground among Hispanics, if any. They may gain ground among some groups, but not enough as a whole to hold a majority.

Other immigrant groups will vote differently. One group I can easily see going Republican, whichever way it goes, are Indian-Americans (from India). I also don't think recent Eastern European and Russian immigrants are as solidly Democrat as their ancestors, although I may be mistaken here (it could also be a cold war artifact, much like the Republican's two biggest minority voters, Cuban-Americans and Vietnamese-Americans).
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2007, 11:10:34 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2007, 05:36:29 PM by Jomy Marquis Shin »

Where Hispanics go in the coming decades depends as much as on which direction the Republicans go as anything else.

A very populist Republican party, one that deemphasizes economics in favor of "family values", will be very appealing to Catholic voters - and Hispanics are overwhelmingly Catholic. Republicans already hold a majority of white Catholics (a change over the past few decades), and a good 40% or so of Hispanics, so its not unreasonable that a small to moderate change in policy will swing a majority. The one problem with this is immigration issues: attempting to find a compromise between socially conservative Hispanics and socially conservative Midwesterners on this issue could be tricky; the coalition may well fall apart after a few elections, much like the Reagan coalition or the longer-lasting but still destroyed New Deal coalition.

A more 'paleo-conservative', 'fiscal conservative', or 'libertarian' Republican party, OTOH, will not gain much ground among Hispanics, if any. They may gain ground among some groups, but not enough as a whole to hold a majority.

Other immigrant groups will vote differently. One group I can easily see going Republican, whichever way it goes, are Indian-Americans (from India). I also don't think recent Eastern European and Russian immigrants are as solidly Democrat as their ancestors, although I may be mistaken here (it could also be a cold war artifact, much like the Republican's two biggest minority voters, Cuban-Americans and Vietnamese-Americans).
Among Asian-Americans, Indians are one of the most solidly Democratic groups.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2007, 02:18:06 PM »

Illegal immigrants will vote for whoever makes them legal (ex. Cubans)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2007, 09:35:46 PM »

The continental interior south of the great lakes desertifying plus the spread of tropical diseases northward will make people flee to the great lakes/coasts. Ah it will be nice to see the Northeast/great lakes/west coast having the whip hand in US politics permanently.
My Mom is an Mexican-Immigrant, and she has no bad tropical disaeses.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2007, 09:57:18 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2007, 10:37:25 AM by Kevin »

My Mom is an Mexican-Immigrant, and she has no bad tropical disaeses.

Ignore him he is just a troll.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2007, 11:03:40 PM »

I meant in terms of climate change caused by global warming. You lose. I win. Good. You have heeled.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2007, 11:15:12 PM »

Another thing that I have noticed is that  as Hispanics stay longer in this country, they tend to take on its politics more and more by the generation.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2007, 01:32:01 PM »

liberals have stopped breeding so the only way for them to stay in power is to bring in foreigners.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2007, 09:27:59 PM »

liberals have stopped breeding so the only way for them to stay in power is to bring in foreigners.
Yeah, Robert, that's the plan.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2007, 11:20:14 AM »

No.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2007, 01:28:04 PM »

liberals abort all their own children so they they foreigners to replace them. if it wasn;t for immigration we would have a conservative majority.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2007, 09:10:44 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2007, 09:12:55 PM by Goa Tse »

...ummm...conservatives still have abortions and if overturning Roe actually works in reducing abortion rates, you would see the liberal population grow again. ...and does a conservative parent always have a conservative child? I mean, if liberals always have had less kids, why are there still liberals?
Governor PiT
Robert Stark

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2007, 08:57:02 PM »

Because they set up the University System to create new liberals. thats why I'm for ending all Government funding of higher education.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2007, 02:08:28 PM »

Because they set up the University System to create new liberals. thats why I'm for ending all Government funding of higher education.

Oh yes, we have a Mao wannabe here...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2007, 06:51:09 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2022, 02:25:58 PM by Хahar 🤔 »

One group I can easily see going Republican, whichever way it goes, are Indian-Americans (from India).

Why are you looking back this far? I was right that Indians wouldn't start voting Republican and this thread is filled with awful posters.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2008, 03:17:17 PM »

More democratic but at the same time socially conservative. look at what happened with gay marriage in California because of latino voters.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2008, 04:05:20 PM »

53% of Hispanics voted yes; 52% of the electorate voted yes.

64% of all Catholics voted yes

Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2008, 06:15:47 PM »

latins will move mainstream to the populist/statist left(especially the big bulge we'll get when mexico comes apart and we inherit the country when most of it's citizens flee here)

basically more populist/redistributionist on economics but more populist/majoritarian/less top down socially
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2008, 08:08:14 PM »

Remains to be seen really. The idea of some Democrat super majority is preposterous to say the least. If conservatives survived the Depression/WW2 era, we'll survive this.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2008, 08:55:14 PM »

America will become more socially conservative and economically be even still (pulled in both directions).
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies