Atlasian-Singapore Free Trade Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:18:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Atlasian-Singapore Free Trade Bill  (Read 5217 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2006, 05:19:05 PM »

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Singapore.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this bill.
3. The United States-Singapore Free Trade Agreement is repealed.

Sponsor: Sen. MasterJedi
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 06:59:30 PM »

Although Singapore seems like a great nation to trade with on purely economical matters, this is one case where I think we should take a look at human rights too.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 07:04:20 PM »

I'm waiting for the Atlasia-World Free Trade Bill.  We can get rid of all tariffs for more than 190 countries!  We want more Chinese products!  NO MORE ATLASIAN MANUFACTURING!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 07:06:30 PM »

I'm waiting for the Atlasia-World Free Trade Bill.  We can get rid of all tariffs for more than 190 countries!  We want more Chinese products!  NO MORE ATLASIAN MANUFACTURING!

Stop talking, you wouldn't support free trade with anything if it was up to you. Ideally we'd be able to do that, have free trade worldwide but a lot of the world isn't ready for it, the countries with bills in waiting are. Until that time sanctions shall remain.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 07:10:06 PM »

Stop talking, you wouldn't support free trade with anything if it was up to you. Ideally we'd be able to do that, have free trade worldwide but a lot of the world isn't ready for it, the countries with bills in waiting are. Until that time sanctions shall remain.

That's a lie.  I support it minimally.  I each country should go intensive review before making a decision and it should only be approved if it is guaranteed to be reciprocal.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 07:40:11 PM »

Although Singapore seems like a great nation to trade with on purely economical matters, this is one case where I think we should take a look at human rights too.

Why?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 07:51:06 PM »

Why?
Good question. What is the connection between the human rights record of the government of Singapore, and allowing person A to trade freely with person B?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 06:29:56 AM »

Why?
Good question. What is the connection between the human rights record of the government of Singapore, and allowing person A to trade freely with person B?
I'm still in favor of this agreement, but I think at the same time, we should try to addess some of the human rights violations by Singapore in a world forum, such as the UN.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 09:27:57 AM »

I think all tariffs on foreign oil or coal should be eliminated. Singapore doesn't deserve free trade.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 09:22:10 PM »

I, hereby, introduce the following amendment:

3. This Agreement requires a commitment on the part of Singapore to make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights. This will be monitored by the Secretary of State in accordance with the terms of the Foreign Policy Review Act. Should he determine that Singapore is regressing on its commitment, and then he shall either (depending on the severity of the regress):

a. Request that the Senate introduce an appropriate tariff either on:

i. Selected Singaporean goods
ii. All Singaporean goods

b. Request that the Senate revoke the Agreement with Singapore in its entirety

Clause 3 is, hereby, renumbered Clause 4

'Hawk'
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 10:13:18 PM »

There should be no free trade agreements with repressive one-party dictatorships.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 01:25:01 PM »

3. This Agreement requires a commitment on the part of Singapore to make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights. This will be monitored by the Secretary of State in accordance with the terms of the Foreign Policy Review Act. Should he determine that Singapore is regressing on its commitment, and then he shall either (depending on the severity of the regress):

'Hawk'

This is pretty useless. It has nothing to do with the agreement and seems more appropriate as a resolution. Plus it's pretty obvious, if the country starts getting real bad we just repeal the free trade agreement by introducing a bill that says so. I will be voting against this and urge all Senators to as well. The bill is fine in its original state.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 08:19:20 PM »

The country is already "real bad"
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 10:45:24 PM »

I think this would be a major step backwards.  We already have a free trade agreement with Singapore.  By removing all restrictions and tariffs with Singapore to ensure true free trade while giving them a requirement that they change unnamed unfair policies or else all trade benefits will be revoked, we send the government a mixed message and the sort of negative feelings that make it look like we're not really interested in working with them.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 11:30:13 PM »

MasterJedi, you haven't answered my question yesterday. Singapore already is an ASEAN member state, so any FTA with Singapore would essentially create free trade with any other ASEAN state. One of those member state include the dictatorship of Burma. Do you really want SLORC to have free access to Atlasian markets?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 11:37:20 PM »

MasterJedi, you haven't answered my question yesterday. Singapore already is an ASEAN member state, so any FTA with Singapore would essentially create free trade with any other ASEAN state. One of those member state include the dictatorship of Burma. Do you really want SLORC to have free access to Atlasian markets?

Actually, we already have an FTA with Singapore.  This bill could actually be a loophole around your problem, because instead of being in an agreement with Singapore we are simply removing tarrifs and restrictions - but only on Singapore, and not any other members of ASEAN.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 05:13:50 AM »

'Hawk'

This is pretty useless. It has nothing to do with the agreement and seems more appropriate as a resolution. Plus it's pretty obvious, if the country starts getting real bad we just repeal the free trade agreement by introducing a bill that says so. I will be voting against this and urge all Senators to as well. The bill is fine in its original state.

I have written this amendment because I feel it should be national policy and part and parcel of any free trade agreement where countries fall well short of the democratic ideal. I'm not going to support free trade willy nilly to all and sundry, especially if they have a poor record on human rights, which is why this amendment is nothing short of reasonable Smiley and I urge that the Senate support it

Furthermore, I think it's necessary to stipulate that nations, such as Singapore, should make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights, as a condition of free trade agreements, and any regress towards such values, on the part of Singapore, cannot, and should not, be tolerated

Singapore ought to consider themselves darn fortunate that they are even being considered for free trade with Atlasia

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 05:14:23 AM »

I think this would be a major step backwards.  We already have a free trade agreement with Singapore.  By removing all restrictions and tariffs with Singapore to ensure true free trade while giving them a requirement that they change unnamed unfair policies or else all trade benefits will be revoked, we send the government a mixed message and the sort of negative feelings that make it look like we're not really interested in working with them.

We send a message that Atlasia will not tolerate any regress on the part of Singapore when it comes to democracy, political freedoms and civil rights

This way such a free trade policy is a tool whereby we can promote the democratic ideal Smiley via free trade and raise nations, such as Singapore, to our political standards

Atlasia must send a clear message that human rights abuses will not be tolerated. Nations, which don't meet our standards, must in the long run prove themselves worthy of free trade, which is why the situation needs to be monitored by the Secretary of State, in accordance with the Foreign Policy Review Act

The point you make Mr President regards "working with them" is valid but without this amendment it would be a one-way street Sad; however, I'd argue that it's reasonable for Atlasia to work with them on free trade, if they work with Atlasia on making progress towards becomg a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights. And I'd argue that such a policy is only just Smiley

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2006, 05:26:36 AM »

I made this statement on my official thread with regards to this amendment and to the amendment I have proposed on the Atlasian-Morocco Free Trade Bill:

Basically, I don’t see why Atlasia should enter free trade agreements with nations, who have a dubious human rights record. Therefore, as a condition of any free trade agreement, nations such as Morocco and Singapore should commit themselves to making progress towards becoming a functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights

Naturally, I understand that this will take time for Morocco and Singapore to accomplish, so I’ve proposed that they be monitored by the Secretary of State, in accordance with the terms of the Foreign Policy Review Act, in the event of these agreements being passed by the Senate and signed into Law. Should he determine that Morocco or Singapore is regressing on its commitment then he can request that the Senate take action either through partial tariffs, full tariffs or by revoking the agreement in its entirety depending on the severity of such regress. If they renege on their commitment then it’s only just that they take the consequences

Atlasia, after all, is the greatest democracy on Earth and we should be doing all that we possibly can to encourage democracy throughout the Second and Third World (and even recalcitrant First World nations with poor human rights records) and I see Free Trade agreements as a means whereby we can realise that vision of the liberal demoratic ideal

I urge that the Senate concur Smiley

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2006, 06:17:07 AM »

I hereby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2006, 06:17:35 AM »

Nay
Keystone Phil