Heinz Moral Dilemma
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 12:46:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Heinz Moral Dilemma
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Heinz Moral Dilemma  (Read 15304 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2006, 05:17:00 AM »

In Europe, a woman was near death from a special kind of cancer.  There was one drug that the doctors thought might save her.  It was a form of radium that a pharmacist in the same town had recently discovered.  The drug was expensive to make, but the pharmacist was charging ten times what the drug cost him to make.  He paid $400 for the radium and charged $4000 for a small dose of the drug.  The sick woman's husband, Heinz, went to everyone he knew to borrow the money, but he could only get together about $2000, which is half of what the drug cost.  He told the druggist that his wife was dying and asked him to sell it cheaper or let him pay later.  But the pharmacist said, 'No, I discovered the drug and I'm going to make money from it.'  So Heinz gets desperate and considers breaking into the man's store to steal the drug for his wife.

1.) Should Heinz steal the drug?  Why or why not?

2.) If Heinz doesn't love his wife, should he steal the drug for her?  Why or why not?

3.) Suppose the person dying is not his wife but a stranger.  Should Heinz steal the drug for the stranger?  Why or why not?

4.) (If you favor stealing the drug for a stranger.)  Suppose it's a pet animal he loves.  Should Heinz steal to save the pet animal?  Why or why not?

5.) Is it important for people to do everything they can to save another's life?  Why or why not?

6.) Is it against the law for Heinz to steal?  Does that make it morally wrong?  Why or why not?

7.) Should people try to do everything they can to obey the law?  Why or why not?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 08:13:30 AM »

Heinz should do what Heinz feels is the right thing to do, and he should accept the consequences of his choice. I really can't decide things for him.

Now, if I was in Heinz's position...

1. I would probably steal the drug. I'd leave the $2000 collected thus far, and pay the man back later with interest(even if I went to jail).

2. If I didn't love my wife, I wouldn't be married to her. So I doubt I'd steal the drug for her.

3. I wouldn't steal the drug for a stranger. My duty is to provide for myself and my loved ones first and foremost, and to do that I can't go on a crusade for every stranger I meet. If I did, I'd have to steal drugs for every sick stranger I met to be consistent.

4. I'll answer this even though I wouldn't steal it for a stranger. For a pet of mine, though loved, I'd just have it put down most likely. I don't value the life of non-sentient beings as highly as I do that of a humans.

5. If that person is important enough to them, then yes. Honestly though, one would have to be completely self-sacrificing in order to save every life they possibly can, and they just might get themselves killed in the process. Do what you can, and move on.

6. Yes it's against the law, and yes it's wrong from my personal moral standpoint to steal, but I'd do it anyways for someone I truly loved.

7. People should generally obey the law. For something like this, if they decide it's worth it to break it, they should accept the consequences. In cases where the law is tyrannical and totally unjust(this isn't one of them IMHO), people should just plain fight the law by whatever means are appropriate.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 03:38:15 PM »

I hate to sound like opebo, but the question of "should" in this case is kind of silly.  People do what they think is the best option.  I don't think there's any obvious right answer here.

I will say, however, that the pharmacist is retarded and will probably go out of business, given that he's refusing to sell this drug for a 400% profit to who is apparently his only potential customer.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 03:42:45 PM »

Another problem that universal health care would solve.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 04:02:14 PM »

Another problem that universal health care would solve.

I could tell you why that's not necessarily true, but I don't want to turn this into an argument over healthcare - stay on topic and answer the damn question. Tongue
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 04:25:06 PM »

Heinz should go to the newspapers, television, and radio outlets, and tell them his story.

Under no circumstances should he steal the drug.  He should not break the law, or he would be prosecuted.   

The media would very soon reveal to the public that the pharmacist in question is a greedy, self serving individual, who cares nothing for human life, but only at ripping off the public with his exorbitant drug prices.  This could well cause this selfish and inconsiderate pharmacist to go out of business.  It could as well put him into a position where he would in fact release the drug to save the dying patient.       
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 10:17:53 PM »

Heinz should go to the newspapers, television, and radio outlets, and tell them his story.

Under no circumstances should he steal the drug.  He should not break the law, or he would be prosecuted.   

The media would very soon reveal to the public that the pharmacist in question is a greedy, self serving individual, who cares nothing for human life, but only at ripping off the public with his exorbitant drug prices.  This could well cause this selfish and inconsiderate pharmacist to go out of business.  It could as well put him into a position where he would in fact release the drug to save the dying patient.       

All of which may take so much time that his wife may die before the pharmacist releases the drug. Plus, as long as there's people who need the drug bad enough and are willing and able to pay for it, I don't think he'll have a problem with the business.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 01:20:57 PM »

1.)The doctor is just making a business decision based on a product he discovered and that he manufactures. So him being an ass with the cost of it really doesn't justify comitting a crime. It would be admirable to know that Heinz would be willing to go to jail for his wife. But if was to get caught, no sympathy for him.

2.) If he doesn't love his wife, I doubt he would have went through all of the trouble trying to save her. It sounds like he has put a lot of effort into this thus far.

3.) No. Heinz doesn't have a conenction to the stranger...thus why should he risk jailtime over someone he hardly knows?

4.) The pet falls under the same category as number one (no I'm not lowering the wife to the level of a pet). But if Heinz loves his pet, he can try and be admired by some for doing so. But no slack for him when he gets killed or thrown in jail.

5.) That's a doctors job. If a doctor can't do it, than it's just not in the cards.
Somethings you just have to leave to nature.

6.) Well of course it's against the law, that's the whole dilemma. I don't think that it makes it morally wrong more so than it makes it risky. If Heinz wants to risk jail-time or perhaps worse to save his wife's life than that's his business.

7.) Yeah. The law is there for a reason, don't break it if you don't have to.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 10:31:35 PM »

But no slack for him when he gets killed or thrown in jail.

Why would someone be killed for violating laws against theft?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 12:29:57 AM »

Different situation - he runs into the pharmacist while breaking into the store, who happens to be armed, and gets shot. He's not saying that he'd get executed by the authorities for it.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 01:34:21 AM »

Different situation - he runs into the pharmacist while breaking into the store, who happens to be armed, and gets shot. He's not saying that he'd get executed by the authorities for it.
^^^^ That's what I was getting at
Max

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 02:37:55 AM »

- He should steal it for everyone, because right to live is more important than property right. It's unimportant if he loves a person or not, although not stealing it for a loved person is definitely more immoral.

2.) If Heinz doesn't love his wife, should he steal the drug for her?  Why or why not?

- See above

3.) Suppose the person dying is not his wife but a stranger.  Should Heinz steal the drug for the stranger?  Why or why not?

- See above

4.) (If you favor stealing the drug for a stranger.)  Suppose it's a pet animal he loves.  Should Heinz steal to save the pet animal?  Why or why not?

- Unsure, but generally, even an animals right to live should be more important than property rights. I know this is difficult.

5.) Is it important for people to do everything they can to save another's life?  Why or why not?

- Yes, it is. Human life is the highest value.

6.) Is it against the law for Heinz to steal?  Does that make it morally wrong?  Why or why not?

- Of course it's against the law, and of course it is not morally wrong. On the other hand, the doctor who sells the drug doesn't break the law, but he acts morally wrong.

7.) Should people try to do everything they can to obey the law?  Why or why not?

- Law should be obeyed, but not in any case.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 09:57:02 AM »

- He should steal it for everyone, because right to live is more important than property right. It's unimportant if he loves a person or not, although not stealing it for a loved person is definitely more immoral.

So, he should steal it for everyone, eliminating the available supply that the pharmacist has to sell, putting the pharmacist in debt making him unable to purchase the materials needed to produce new medicine? Good plan. Roll Eyes
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 03:44:17 PM »

Yes, he should try and save his wife. Of course, the example is ridiculous, because as long as he wasn't a bum he would be able to get the money in some way. But I'll ignore that.

Depends on why he doesn't love her. But probably, yes. A husband has obligations to his wife, regardless.

Of course not. That would be silly and misguided.

Eh.

Yes, if that person is important to them.

Yes, No. Sometimes we have to trespass laws because laws cannot take all factors into consideration, esepcially not personal ones. That's the way it is, not much we can do about it.

Of course not. They should try and do what is right.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 04:15:51 PM »

This was posted once before, btw.
In Europe, a woman was near death from a special kind of cancer.  There was one drug that the doctors thought might save her.  It was a form of radium that a pharmacist in the same town had recently discovered.  The drug was expensive to make, but the pharmacist was charging ten times what the drug cost him to make.  He paid $400 for the radium and charged $4000 for a small dose of the drug.  The sick woman's husband, Heinz, went to everyone he knew to borrow the money, but he could only get together about $2000, which is half of what the drug cost.  He told the druggist that his wife was dying and asked him to sell it cheaper or let him pay later.  But the pharmacist said, 'No, I discovered the drug and I'm going to make money from it.'  So Heinz gets desperate and considers breaking into the man's store to steal the drug for his wife.

He will have to do what he thinks is best. I wouldn't have it in me do damn him no matter what he decided.
Well actually, he shouldn't, simply because it won't take a minute to arrest him if he does. He's got PRIME SUBJECT stamped all over him if any radium is missing. And he won't be able to save his wife from jail. Also, would he be able to administer the drug?
However, I'm not sure if that's what you're driving at.

The point is comparatively irrelevant, at least as long as he doesn't exactly hate her.

Again, whether he did so out of compassion for an unknown stranger who needed the help, or for his wife, makes little difference.

We do not know whether the animal might not wish to die. If we could know that this is not the case, however, the situation is again the same.

It is. However, not breaking the peace, not getting locked up in jail, etc, are also important things. Also, note that attempts to save lives are inherently futile, as we all die anyways. That's not to say they shouldn't be undertaken.

It is indeed against the law. This does not constitute self-defense in the eyes of the law (although, perversely - utterly perversely - it does if the chemist shoots him while he's stealing the good stuff). It does not directly affect the morality of his stealing the drug - that remains moral - but it does severely affect the morality of his letting his wife die (or at least, discount this possible option of saving her, and looking for others until she dies). That would not be moral if the law allowed him to steal the drug.

Laws can be extremely stupid and unnecessary, and in many cases breaking them won't hurt anybody, so obviously no.
Max

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 04:03:19 AM »

So, he should steal it for everyone, eliminating the available supply that the pharmacist has to sell, putting the pharmacist in debt making him unable to purchase the materials needed to produce new medicine? Good plan. Roll Eyes

It will not ruin the pharmacist if he steals one drug to help a dying stranger. Of course, everybody who's got the money to pay for the drug has to.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 11:37:15 AM »

Heinz should steal the drug, no question, whether its his wife or someone he dislikes.  Of course all drugs should be free and paid for by the government, but that seems to be besides the point.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 02:26:22 PM »

Heinz should try to cut a deal with the pharmacist, ex. the 2,000 up front + giving him free services from his company, or an IOU.  He could also sell his current possetions, sell off his car, ect to try to make up for the money.  Ultimately the stealing is not justified because two wrongs don't make a right.  Also his wife is going to die sometime.  If he cannot do the afforementioned to get the money it's sad but she'll have to die, and Heinz should accept this as an inevitablility
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 06:37:34 PM »

It will not ruin the pharmacist if he steals one drug to help a dying stranger. Of course, everybody who's got the money to pay for the drug has to.

But you said he should steal it for everybody, which means that he has to steal enough for every single person who needs it. Assuming that the medicine can only be used on this one, ultra-rare cancer, sure, he'd only need one or two doses. However, given that someone took the trouble to research it, the medicine either has other uses or the cancer isn't so rare. In which case, by your logic, Heinz would be obligated to steal it for every stranger who needed it and couldn't afford it, which would probably take most if not all the supply of the drug.

Also, if people who can't afford it should get it for free through stealing, why should anyone have to pay for it?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 08:54:51 PM »

One thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is Heinz should ask his wife what she wants him to do.

If she doesn't want him to steal, that makes the situation a lot simpler.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 05:06:58 AM »

One thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is Heinz should ask his wife what she wants him to do.

If she doesn't want him to steal, that makes the situation a lot simpler.

It would be irresponsible to ask her to make the decision. If she loves him at all she wouldn't ask him to go to jail for her.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies