What undermimes marriage more?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:57:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What undermimes marriage more?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Poll
Question: What undermimes marriage more?
High divorce rates, marriages of convenience and Vegas style quickie marriages etc

Gays and lesbians wanting to marry.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: What undermimes marriage more?  (Read 28230 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2006, 11:59:38 PM »

#1 (normal) especially those old dudes who marry 18-year old gold diggers. Makes me sick to my stomach.

I agree that marrying a gold-digger is overpaying (one should merely rent, not buy), but I am pleased every time I see an old man with a young girl - it offers us all hope for the future.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one opebo. I find it demeaning to women.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2006, 04:18:44 AM »

However, banning gay marriage will help society to understand the sanctity of marriage.

Or better yet, it will help get votes for the GOP in a congressional election.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2006, 07:45:19 AM »

However, banning gay marriage will help society to understand the sanctity of marriage.

Or better yet, it will help get votes for the GOP in a congressional election.
That's the same thing though. Cheesy
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2006, 07:45:39 AM »

Marriage is quite simply a bad idea.

Even though scientific studies indicate married people are, on average, happier than single people?

I wont argue against that, but are married people happier on average than two people who are together but not married? I doubt it.

I looked it up, and at least one study says it's equal in the case of cohabitation, which is pretty darn close to marriage when it comes down to it. People who are actively dating are happier than single people, but not as much as married or cohabiting people.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2006, 08:38:07 AM »

I looked it up, and at least one study says it's equal in the case of cohabitation, which is pretty darn close to marriage when it comes down to it. People who are actively dating are happier than single people, but not as much as married or cohabiting people.

It sounds like it's more that being in love and having companionship is what makes someone happy, not marriage itself, which makes perfect sense.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2006, 08:46:51 AM »

It sounds like it's more that being in love and having companionship is what makes someone happy, not marriage itself, which makes perfect sense.

I'd agree, though the whole 'marriage is stupid' thing still contradicts it.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2006, 03:17:05 PM »

?!?

Wink
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2006, 02:39:05 PM »

High divorce rates, marriages of convenience and Vegas style quickie marriages are the problem not gay marriage.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2006, 02:55:12 PM »

High divorce rates, marriages of convenience and Vegas style quickie marriages are the problem not gay marriage.

I wonder how many of the pastors who bellow from the pulpits about the issue have been divorced/had affairs and so on Smiley
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2006, 03:01:29 PM »

I wonder how many of the pastors who bellow from the pulpits about the issue have been divorced/had affairs and so on Smiley
My guess is a high, high number.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2006, 01:12:31 AM »

As for gays, they're good people. (except for Richius)
Excuse me?
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2006, 11:21:33 AM »

Option 1, obviously.

Look, I don't believe in gay marriage, but I do believe in civil unions.  It's the culture of sexual promiscuity that has arisen over the last forty years (thanks to birth control, abortion, and the morning-after pill) that has done the most to erode traditional marriage in the U.S.  These days men will have sex with several women before they marry (if they marry) and if they impregnate a woman out of wedlock, they'll just walk away. 

Nowhere is this more apparent than in the African-American community.  I remember reading somewhere that nearly a third (or some large figure) of black children are born out of wedlock and grow up without a father.  That has a horrible psychological effect on a child.  Of course the hip-hop culture, which glorifies sexual promiscuity to children and teaches them that being a pimp or a drug dealer is cool, doesn't help at all.

The other problem is the abundance of places where one can get married without filling out much of the paperwork.  Such "quickie weddings", popular in Las Vegas, allow people who are either drunk or have just had a one night stand to get married, and then they can divorce a day or two later.  Marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a woman, and it is not a decision that should be made on the spur of the moment.

I think these issues stated above have had a much worse effect on marriage in the traditional sense than homosexuals.  Gay marriage, remember, is only a relatively recent phenomenon.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2006, 12:05:17 PM »

Sexual promiscuity = good thing

PEople who bitch about it need to lighten up.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2006, 02:59:24 PM »

So then should infertile [heterosexual] couples not be allowed to marry?

If you're using that argument, you are saying that infertility and homosexuality are on in the same category.  So you're calling homosexuality a "disease" (that's not the right word for infertility, but I can't think of anything else, but you still get the point)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2006, 02:59:53 PM »

Option 2
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2006, 03:03:09 PM »

where does it ever say this in the bible?? ive been unable to find where god says that gays and lesbians arent allowed to marry.

Obviously you haven't been reading your bible to well...or you're blind. Go read Leviticus or Romans some time.

Sodom and Gomorah were also destroyed because of sexual sins and homosexuality.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2006, 03:05:23 PM »

Just look at nature--men and women can procreate together, but men and men can't.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2006, 03:07:37 PM »

We didn't come from apes. Apes and humans share a common ancestor, such as the Austriopithecus Afarensis or however the hell you spell it. There's a huge difference. Genesis has more validity than the statement, "humans came from monkeys or apes."

Even if God did create the universe and is adamantly against gay marriage, his opinion is irrelevant and does not matter. There is a separation of church and state in the United States. Even if his opinion did matter, he's not a senator, and thus is not really in a position of power to do anything about it.

This country was founded on GOD.  And do you know where it is mentioned that there is a separation of church and state?  Not to mention that it was keeping the state from controlling the church, not that religion can't be involved in gov't.  You liberals twist anything that is possibly twistable to fit your wants.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2006, 03:08:27 PM »

Nowhere is this more apparent than in the African-American community.  I remember reading somewhere that nearly a third (or some large figure) of black children are born out of wedlock and grow up without a father.  That has a horrible psychological effect on a child.  Of course the hip-hop culture, which glorifies sexual promiscuity to children and teaches them that being a pimp or a drug dealer is cool, doesn't help at all.

It has nothing to do with their culture per se. It goes deeper than that. Blacks are simply human beings on extreme welfare schemes, who are fed from the teat of the state for their whole lives, is it any suprise that they tend to exhibit the same tendencies as other welfare recipients and those with large trust funds, but to a far greater extent? Furthermore if I were in constant contact with the state I reckon I'd be comprehensibly wrecked too.

It requires an immense amount of self-control and will to overcome this form of dependency. As it would with crack-cocaine.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2006, 03:42:25 PM »

I have removed a few posts here.  I'm going to be nice and assume it was just playing around gone too far, but I'd suggest that comments like those be avoided.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2006, 06:00:48 PM »

If an infertile man or women gets married, it is a sin!

Or an elderly couple who choose to marry Wink
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2006, 06:03:15 PM »

Oh my please stop suggesting such filth and immorality.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2006, 06:03:58 PM »

No.  And I can't stand it when you liberals use this argument.  Infertility is a disease (and I know that's not the right word, but I can't think of it).  So either:
a) Homosexuality is disease.  And why would God punish people for something they have no control over.
b) It's not a disease--you're argument is shot down.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2006, 06:07:52 PM »

Inks, you are young, you are still impressionable Smiley First of all, I'm not a liberal- i'm an active member of the British Conservative Party. It's not just liberals that support gay marriage or civil unions.

Secondly infertility is not a 'disease.' It's more of a condition. It can be caused by disease yes, but it can also occur through other methods (like the menopause for example)
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2006, 06:09:02 PM »

No.  And I can't stand it when you liberals use this argument.  Infertility is a disease (and I know that's not the right word, but I can't think of it).  So either:
a) Homosexuality is disease.  And why would God punish people for something they have no control over.
b) It's not a disease--you're argument is shot down.

No; the result of homosexuality and infertility is the same (no kids), which is the criterion you and others were using to decide whether a marriage should be allowed.  To point out that the outcome of the two conditions is the same makes no judgement about the conditions themselves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies