A couple of questions. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:14:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  A couple of questions. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A couple of questions.  (Read 15921 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: June 05, 2006, 08:33:35 PM »

1) Can a former president who was elected to one term but lost their re-election bid, run in another election for their second term?

See Grover Cleveland.  He's historical proof that you can.

2) Can a president who never served as vice-president run for vice-president after their terms as president have expired?

I'm not sure.  I could have sworn that one must be eligible for the presidency to be eligible for the vice-presidency, which, if true, would mean the answer is no, but I don't fully recall.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 02:09:34 AM »

But someone who is term limited is not constitutionally ineligible to be President. Clearly, if Bill Clinton was Secretary of State and the requisite people died, he'd become President. The 22nd amendment is merely a limitation on who can be elected President.

Right, I suppose "elected" is the key word.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 01:31:01 AM »

2. Yes, as long as the ex-President is still eligible to be President. If he served or was elected to two terms as President (with a term served being defined as at least half of a four year term), he cannot serve as VP; the VP must meet the same requirements as the President. Whether the ex-President ever served as VP in the past is irrelevant.

Bill Clinton and George W Bush could not be VP, but George HW Bush or Jimmy Carter could.

But the twenty-second amendment limiting a president to two terms says that someone cannot be elected more than twice.  It says nothing about becoming president through the line of succession.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies