Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2014, 11:05:35 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  Why was Alabama so close in 1928?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Why was Alabama so close in 1928?  (Read 1481 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2006, 02:21:22 am »
Ignore

In 1928 Alabama was won by Smith by a margin of less than 3%, similar to Bush's in Ohio 2 years ago. Why was that? I know Hoover did well in the South, but in other Deep South states Democratic support held up. SMith broke 90% in South Carolina, 80% in Mississippi and 70% in Louisiana. In Georgia he recieved 56% of the vote, worse, but still a large margin. Why did these states differ so much?

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
NewFederalist
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 07:55:24 am »
Ignore

Al Smith was the first Roman Catholic nominee to seek the presidency (on a major party ticket anyway) and I suspect that has something to do with it but I cannot account for the wide variances among the southern states.

+2.50 / -2.21 Political Compass

WalterMitty
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 09:06:13 pm »
Ignore

smith was also 'wet'

My education at Northwestern Oklahoma State University is just as good as a Harvard education,
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -1.74

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 10:27:53 pm »
Ignore

Al Smith was the first Roman Catholic nominee to seek the presidency (on a major party ticket anyway) and I suspect that has something to do with it but I cannot account for the wide variances among the southern states.

I would suspect that that probably had a lot to do with it, acctually.  Mississippi and South Carolina both have rather large Catholic communities (compared to other southern states) and Alabama has a history of being the most anti-Catholic of the southern states (which is part of the reason that Mother Angelica chose it as the HQ for EWTN).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 10:29:35 pm by Supersoulty »Logged

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 03:01:35 am »
Ignore

Alabama actually had free elections, if only for Whites, at the time. Mississippi and South Carolina did not.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 06:34:16 am »
Ignore

Someone posted a county map of it a while ago (over a year ago?) and IIRC Smith did very badly in northern Alabama.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Rob
Bob
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 12:51:56 am »
Ignore

That's the map (posted by RBH quite some time ago). Hoover runs well in the redneck hill country of the north (Smith's Catholicism and "wetness" killed him there) and some industrializing cities, while getting swamped in the Black Belt.

I believe that a well-respected Democratic Senator from Alabama (whose name escapes me) broke ranks and endorsed Hoover, attacking Smith's religion. He campaigned heavily for the GOP, but couldn't quite swing the state.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 12:54:59 am by Rob »Logged

Here’s what Sarah Palin represents: being a fat fucking pig who pins “Country First” buttons on his man titties and chants “U-S-A! U-S-A!” at the top of his lungs while his kids live off credit cards and Saudis buy up all the mortgages in Kansas.
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 03:18:41 am »
Ignore

That's the map (posted by RBH quite some time ago). Hoover runs well in the redneck hill country of the north (Smith's Catholicism and "wetness" killed him there) and some industrializing cities
Not all of it though.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 04:43:14 am »
Ignore

So Smith held up better in the coalfields than in the rest of Northern Alabama?

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout