NY: Weld Quits Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:29:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY: Weld Quits Race
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NY: Weld Quits Race  (Read 5436 times)
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2006, 01:38:35 PM »

Weld Quits GOP Race for New York Governor
Ex-Massachusetts Governor Looks at 'Bigger Picture'

Tuesday, June 6, 2006; Posted: 12:52 p.m. EDT

ALBANY, New York (AP) -- William Weld, the former Massachusetts governor, dropped out of the New York governor's race Tuesday, saying it was time to look beyond his own aspirations for the good of the party.

The state GOP backed former Assembly Minority Leader John Faso as its candidate last week, meaning a potentially bruising and expensive September primary if Weld had stayed in the race.

"It's no secret I'm a believer in the utility of primaries in many contexts," Weld said Tuesday at a news conference at his Manhattan headquarters. "But I do think there's a time to look beyond your aspirations for the bigger picture. This is not a time for a contested primary."

The New York native could have been the first man since Sam Houston to be the governor of two states; Houston was elected chief executive of Tennessee in 1827 and of Texas in 1859.

After the party came out in favor of Faso, Weld lost one of his strongest supporters -- New York Republican Party Chairman Stephen Minarik, who on Monday recommended Weld drop out of the race "in the name of party unity."

Democrat Spitzer leads polls
The Democrats' candidate for governor, Attorney General Eliot Spitzer, already held a strong lead in polls over either Republican, and GOP officials worried that a contested primary would damage their chances to hang on the governor's office. Republican Gov. George Pataki is not seeking a fourth four-year term.

"I applaud Bill Weld for his selfless act of courage," Minarik said Tuesday. "His actions today will help bring unity to the Republican Party and make our party's chances to win the governor's race even stronger."

Faso won a surprising 61 percent of the delegates' weighted vote during last week's Republican state convention, compared to 39 percent for Weld. Faso also has the endorsement of the Conservative Party.

"I wasn't prepared for the stunning political performance that John Faso has delivered thus far and I believe he will continue to deliver all the way to November," Weld said in his announcement Tuesday.

Faso, who joined him, said Weld's move would "give the people a very clear choice this November."
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 01:41:33 PM »

So much for LP ballot access!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 01:43:33 PM »

Oh...wow. Andrew won't be happy.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 01:46:45 PM »

ive lost all hope for ny.

at least hillary is decent.

i miss dan patrick moynihan though.

but, anyway, spitzer is the spawn of satan.  he should be defeated for the good of the citezenry of the empire state.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 01:59:51 PM »

As a result, I hereby endorse Eliot Spitzer for New York Governor.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 02:25:47 PM »

That's a shame Sad He deserved to win... even though he'd have been hammered by Spitzer, well I'll join Tweed in backing Eliot Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 02:27:26 PM »

So will it end up being something like...

Spitzer - 70%  
Faso - 27%
Others - 3%
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 02:45:08 PM »

I'm actually happy that a great man like William Weld won't be wasted as a sacrificial lamb. The state of New York doesn't deserve William Weld.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 02:46:37 PM »

Being governor of 2 states is nothing, a guy named James Shields was US Senator from IL, MN, and MO.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 03:37:05 PM »

It just goes to prove that Weld has a little common sense.

He was promised the nomination by Pataki, but the Republican party rank and file objected.

If he had tried in the primary, Faso would have beaten him like a drum.

Oh, and BTW, there's an investigation going on about the college in Kentucky that Weld headed.  It will be interesting to see if he's indicted.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 03:39:02 PM »

Oh, and BTW, there's an investigation going on about the college in Kentucky that Weld headed.  It will be interesting to see if he's indicted.

He's a Republican. It's normal for a Republican to be indicted.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 03:44:10 PM »

Weld appeals much more to the common NY republican than Faso does.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 03:49:58 PM »

This is a shame.  Even though he wouldn't have won, I still would have rooted for him. Sad
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 03:52:03 PM »

Weld apparently did not share this opinion, because if he did, he would have expected to easily win the primary and advance to November with a party mandate [and we would not be having this conversation].
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 04:02:20 PM »

Weld apparently did not share this opinion, because if he did, he would have expected to easily win the primary and advance to November with a party mandate [and we would not be having this conversation].

He is dropping out because of the NYGOP's desire to unite behind one candidate, without a divisive primary.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 04:54:37 PM »

Damn it...
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 05:57:35 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2006, 05:59:07 PM by Winfield »

Doesn't hurt my feelings any.

Like I said on Jun 5/06, on
NY:  GOP Delegates Reject William Weld And Back Faso Instead

that there is really no difference between Weld and Spitzer, and that Faso offers a real choice, and to nominate a candidate and get behind them.

Weld is apparently getting behind Faso. 

Shows a lot of class on Weld's part.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 06:02:08 PM »

there is really no difference between Weld and Spitzer, and that Faso offers a real choice

If that was really the case, why do nearly all New England Republicans on this board seem to hate Spitzer and like Weld?

Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 06:18:01 PM »

I suppose a divisive primary would have hurt the Republicans' chances of holding the state senate than an undisputed Faso nomination will.

Even so, I look forward to every branch of the state government dominated by the Democrats.  It only took decades of overwhelming democratic registration Smiley
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 08:53:24 PM »

Is there still time for the LP to pick a new nominee?

Yes. The petitioning period to qualify for the November election hasn't even begun yet according to Ballot Access News. The obvious disappointment for the LP is their new nominee is not likely to poll the 50,000 votes required to perpetuate ballot status for another couple of election cycles like Weld probably would have. I guess they could always cross endorse another major party nominee but that might prove difficult given the remaining field.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 11:33:03 PM »

I suppose a divisive primary would have hurt the Republicans' chances of holding the state senate than an undisputed Faso nomination will.

Even so, I look forward to every branch of the state government dominated by the Democrats.  It only took decades of overwhelming democratic registration Smiley

the NY GOP if not in bad enough shape already is now in serious serious trouble.  Faso gets demloished no matter what (so would have Weld), but if  Faso even remotley talks about social issues, suburban NYC Long Island, and Westchester will be handed to the Dems on the state level for good, and several State Senate Seats as well to the Dems. 

Here is a big thank you to the NY GOP  screwing up so big and giving the Dems complete power.    Although the Govenor's race wouldn't have mattered, what this little misadventure shows to suburban NYC, especially Long Island and Westchester Republicans and Independents (what the GOP needs to do well in the state) is that the state GOP has gone the wayside of the National GOP with social conservatism, which means bye bye GOP votes, hello Dem votes, so thanks wingnuts, you gave us all the power now Smiley
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 05:30:37 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2006, 05:32:41 PM by Winfield »

Voters are funny.

They may give a lot of power to one side for a time, but that changes.

E.G., whoever thought Kansas would elect a Democratic Governor?

The Democrats bounced back from their disastrous defeat in the Presidential election of 1972 and won the White House in 1976.  Likewise, the Democrats bounced back from their disastrous defeat in the Presidential election of 1984, and won the White House in 1992.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 12:21:50 AM »

Voters are funny.

They may give a lot of power to one side for a time, but that changes.

E.G., whoever thought Kansas would elect a Democratic Governor?

The Democrats bounced back from their disastrous defeat in the Presidential election of 1972 and won the White House in 1976.  Likewise, the Democrats bounced back from their disastrous defeat in the Presidential election of 1984, and won the White House in 1992.

Granted, but the way the NY GOP is going about things, by moving more & more to the right, they will make the time for the Dems in power longer & longer & largr & larger power for the Dems Smiley.  I'm loving every minute of this, because its just plain pure stupidity by the NY state GP.  Their was a reason Long Island and Westchester became Democratic on the national level, because of the social conservatibves in the National GOP turning those areas Dem, which turned the state from lean Dem to strong Dem nationally.  Now the NY state GOP is doing the exact same thing.  Embracing the National social conservative portion of the party and that means they are finished in Long Island and Westchester, the most important region in the state for them, as far as what they ahve o do well in.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 12:38:59 AM »

What a shame. William Weld was a hell of a guy, who deserved the nomination. I'll still vote for  Faso, but I kind of agree with Andrew -- the party is in such shambles right now  I wouldn't want to see  Weld wasted as a sacrifice who gets 28% of the vote.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 05:12:07 PM »

any chance weld may someday run for mayor of nyc?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies