Unintended consequence or deliberate attack on the poor and elderly?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:01:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Unintended consequence or deliberate attack on the poor and elderly?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: IS the Michigan cigarette tax a deliberate attack on the poor and elderly?
Deliberate attack

No the Michigan government just screwed up.

other -explain

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Unintended consequence or deliberate attack on the poor and elderly?  (Read 3296 times)
David S
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2006, 07:08:54 PM »

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060606/POLITICS/606060397

Cigarette tax singes poor, old
State slaps 3,500 more smokers with bills for buying cartons online.
Sarah Ryley / The Detroit News

MOUNT CLEMENS -- When Marilyn Mostek, a senior living in a subsidized apartment, heard she could save $20 on a carton of cigarettes by ordering from an out-of-state Indian reservation, she thought she had found a clever way to save money.

Those savings went up in smoke on May 19 when she received a bill from the state of Michigan for $511 in unpaid cigarette taxes -- nearly half of her fixed monthly income. Her neighbor, Robert Stutsman, received a bill the same day for $744.

Mostek, 69, and Stutsman, 75, are among 11,000 Michigan residents who over the past year and a half have felt the pinch of a state crackdown on people who have avoided Michigan's cigarette tax by buying from out-of-state vendors online.

The bills, averaging $1,787, have hit the elderly and poor particularly hard.

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 07:25:38 PM »

I've got an idea: don't buy cigarettes...

Of course this wasn't a "deliberate attack on the poor and elderly".  Don't be silly.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 07:45:37 PM »

It's an effort to aid the poor and elderly.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 07:46:35 PM »

Before the tax was passed it was pointed out that it would affect the poor and the elderly the most.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 07:48:13 PM »

Ask the poor elderly lady who got stuck with a bill for $511 how much it "aids" her.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 07:52:45 PM »

MOUNT CLEMENS -- When Marilyn Mostek, a senior living in a subsidized apartment, heard she could save $20 on a carton of cigarettes by ordering from an out-of-state Indian reservation, she thought she had found a clever way to save money.

Those savings went up in smoke on May 19 when she received a bill from the state of Michigan for $511 in unpaid cigarette taxes -- nearly half of her fixed monthly income. Her neighbor, Robert Stutsman, received a bill the same day for $744.

Mostek, 69, and Stutsman, 75, are among 11,000 Michigan residents who over the past year and a half have felt the pinch of a state crackdown on people who have avoided Michigan's cigarette tax by buying from out-of-state vendors online.

Well, there are two seperate components.

First, whereas conservatives tend to prefer taxes which generate revenue to fund essential public services to be raised in the most painless way possible, liberals tend to prefer to use the tax system to punish behavior of which they disapprove.

Second, don't you have indian reservations in Michigan.  People here go to the reservation store to buy tobacco free from the state tax.  Maybe the state government is trying to redirect business to the indians.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 08:00:31 PM »

Before the tax was passed it was pointed out that it would affect the poor and the elderly the most.

It seems to me that it's an entirely voluntary tax.  It's not as if they got into a back room and were like "I KNOW, LET'S TAX THE PANTS OFF OF THE POOR AND ELDERLY LOL".

Of course it's going to hit the poor and the elderly the most: it's a sales tax.  All sales taxes do.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 08:03:04 PM »

It seems to me that it's an entirely voluntary tax.  It's not as if they got into a back room and were like "I KNOW, LET'S TAX THE PANTS OFF OF THE POOR AND ELDERLY LOL".

Of course it's going to hit the poor and the elderly the most: it's a sales tax.  All sales taxes do.

No kidding. If they truly wanted to screw the poor, they would have copied Washington's tax structure. However, Michigan is still one of the 49 states with a regressive tax structure, and Delaware is only barely progressive.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 08:07:43 PM »

I agree that cigarette taxes are highly regressive, not only because they are a sales tax but also because poor people are more likely to smoke than wealthy people are.

I'm ambivalent on the issue of cigarette taxes. On the one hand, they do act as a disincentive for people to smoke, which is a definite advantage of them, but as far as revenue generation is concerned, there are many other methods I would prefer more.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 08:09:22 PM »

Well, there are two seperate components.

First, whereas conservatives tend to prefer taxes which generate revenue to fund essential public services to be raised in the most painless way possible, liberals tend to prefer to use the tax system to punish behavior of which they disapprove.

Second, don't you have indian reservations in Michigan.  People here go to the reservation store to buy tobacco free from the state tax.  Maybe the state government is trying to redirect business to the indians.

Yes, there are quite a few reservations in Michigan, and indeed the prices are generally a bit lower there (not tremendously lower though, they just make a much bigger profit off of them I would assume). However, there aren't any reservations anywhere near the major population center of southeast Michigan (the closest would be in Mt. Pleasant, in the almost exact middle of the Lower Peninsula); most of them tend to be in the northern Lower Peninsula and in the Upper Peninsula.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 09:01:43 PM »

Ask the poor elderly lady who got stuck with a bill for $511 how much it "aids" her.

Her medical bills for lung cancer will be far more than that.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 09:12:17 PM »

Of course this wasn't a "deliberate attack on the poor and elderly".  Don't be silly.

correct, gabu.

i believe cigarette taxes are far too low.  why not exploit the addictions of the ignorant?
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 09:16:20 PM »

Lets take an example; Rich man earns $100,000 per year. Poor man earns $10,000. Both men smoke a pack a day. At $2.00 per pack the annual tax for both men is $730. The effective tax rate as a percentage of income is as follows:
Rich man  0.73%
Poor man  7.3%

Its odd to see so many Democrats supporting such a regressive tax.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 09:28:36 PM »

Lets take an example; Rich man earns $100,000 per year. Poor man earns $10,000. Both men smoke a pack a day. At $2.00 per pack the annual tax for both men is $730. The effective tax rate as a percentage of income is as follows:
Rich man  0.73%
Poor man  7.3%

Let's take another example.  Rich man earns $100,000 per year.  Poor man earns $10,000. Rich man smokes a pack a day.  Poor man doesn't smoke.  At $2.00 per pack the annual tax for the rich man is $730.  The annual tax for the poor man is $0.  The effective tax rate as a percentage of income is as follows:

Rich man  0.73%
Poor man  0%

This tax is such a self-inflicted thing that I honestly don't care.  You're acting as if it's involuntary for someone to smoke a pack a day and that this is a universal tax.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 09:29:16 PM »

Rich man  0.73%
Poor man  7.3%

it's a voluntary tax.  no one is forced to pay it.  

it is odd to see libertarians oppose voluntary taxation.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 09:34:10 PM »

Rich man  0.73%
Poor man  7.3%

Let's take another example.  Rich man earns $100,000 per year.  Poor man earns $10,000. Rich man smokes a pack a day.  Poor man doesn't smoke.  At $2.00 per pack the annual tax for the rich man is $730.  The annual tax for the poor man is $0.  The effective tax rate as a percentage of income is as follows:

Rich man  0.73%
Poor man  0%

This tax is such a self-inflicted thing that I honestly don't care.  You're acting as if it's involuntary for someone to smoke a pack a day and that this is a universal tax.

True, and perhaps the tax convinces the poor man to quit smoking when he otherwise wouldn't; that produces benefits not only for him but for everyone in the form of lower health care costs. The poor man is much more likely to be persuaded since he can much less afford to smoke.

As I said, I'm ambivalent about it overall; I do not like the regressive nature of it, but I oppose it much less than the general sales tax. Unlike general sales taxes, which discourage people from taking an action beneficial to the economy, at least this one discourages people from doing something harmful.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 09:38:46 PM »

As I said, I'm ambivalent about it overall; I do not like the regressive nature of it, but I oppose it much less than the general sales tax. Unlike general sales taxes, which discourage people from taking an action beneficial to the economy, at least this one discourages people from doing something harmful.

But the thing about it is that it's not really a regressive tax.  It is in the sense that poor people pay a higher percentage of their total income than rich people do, all things equal, but the amount you pay can also be controlled by how much you buy.

A cigarette tax is not something that I would actively pursue, but it also is not something that I particularly care about.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 09:55:52 PM »

Obviously all harmful consequences done to the poor by the State are 'intentional', in the sense that the State exists to serve the owning class - i.e., the powerful.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 09:59:19 PM »

But the thing about it is that it's not really a regressive tax.  It is in the sense that poor people pay a higher percentage of their total income than rich people do, all things equal, but the amount you pay can also be controlled by how much you buy.

A cigarette tax is not something that I would actively pursue, but it also is not something that I particularly care about.

Well I define a regressive tax as one that the poor pay a higher percentage of their income towards than the wealthy, all else being equal.

So yes, I agree that the optional nature of it does make it less bad, but it doesn't really make it any less regressive.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 10:07:57 PM »

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 11:02:08 PM »

Option 2. The government screws up a lot. They generally don't intend a lot of the bad stuff that happens.

Rich man  0.73%
Poor man  7.3%

it's a voluntary tax.  no one is forced to pay it.  

it is odd to see libertarians oppose voluntary taxation.

It's odd that libertarians oppose the government using it's taxation power in an attempt at social engineering?

And it's only a truly voluntary tax if you don't have to pay it when you buy the product - I mean, if the tax was applied to clothing or food would you be calling it a voluntary tax? Or heck, property taxes are voluntary, right? Just don't buy a house! So no, it's not a voluntary tax. A truly voluntary tax would be completely voluntary, not a matter of not buying a certain product.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 08:36:35 AM »

Look at the underlying rationale behind this tax: Government through medicaid is responsible for the healthcare costs of the poor, therefore government has the right to control unhealthy habits of all citizens. In this case the control is to apply extraordinarily high taxes on the unhealthy product, cigarettes. But couldn't the same argument be made for all products the government deems to be unhealthy? Foods that are high in saturated fat and cholesterol certainly contribute to health problems. Couldn't the government use the same logic to apply extreme taxes on those products as well. Today you can get a bacon and egg breakfast for maybe $5.00 at many restaurants. If you applied a similar tax to that it would raise the price to about $15.00. And how about cheeseburgers, french fries, pizza, tacos, ribs, fried chicken etc? Do you want government using the power of taxation to force you to eat only food the government deems OK? At what point do we stop calling this place "The land of the free"?
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 08:43:41 AM »

And don't forget the tobacco subsidies to encourage production in the first place. What a system!
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 09:33:33 AM »

And don't forget the tobacco subsidies to encourage production in the first place. What a system!

i thought the subsidies ended a few years ago when they had the buyout program?
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 10:25:30 AM »

i thought the subsidies ended a few years ago when they had the buyout program?

As of 2004 (the last year I could find subsidy data) it does not appear so.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies