KY: Governor's Troubles Could Reverse GOP Successes in the State
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:17:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KY: Governor's Troubles Could Reverse GOP Successes in the State
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: KY: Governor's Troubles Could Reverse GOP Successes in the State  (Read 1653 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2006, 09:59:54 AM »

Governor's Troubles Threaten G.O.P. in Kentucky

By IAN URBINA
Published: June 20, 2006

FRANKFORT, Ky. — The real risk in noodling, which involves sticking your arm into a catfish nesting hole and yanking out whatever swallows your fist, is not in getting caught doing it out of season, but in reaching too far into the hole and getting snagged by spiny fins.

Just consider the case of Gov. Ernie Fletcher of Kentucky.

A year ago, after being accused of illegally forcing Democrats out of state Civil Service jobs and giving the jobs to political loyalists, Mr. Fletcher, a Republican, dismissed the charges as little worse than noodling in March. (Noodling is legal only from June 1 to Aug. 31.)

But 15 indictments later, Mr. Fletcher's administration — including his self-titled Disciples, accused of being the ringleaders of the patronage scheme — is still feeling the sting as his approval ratings drop below 30 percent.

Most of his former backers, including his mentor, Senator Mitch McConnell, have distanced themselves from him, and Democrats point to the case as another example of Republican corruption and overreach. Mr. Fletcher was indicted on three misdemeanor charges; while on vacation in Florida in early June, he had his lawyer enter a plea of not guilty.

The accusations have threatened to reverse a tide that Republicans in the state have worked for more than a decade to turn in their favor. With the party controlling the State Senate and just shy of a majority in the House, many Republicans viewed Mr. Fletcher's easy victory in 2003 as the dawning of a new political era for the Bluegrass State.

"The state is still potentially a swing state, and this will certainly slow its drift toward Republicanism," said Al Cross, a political writer and professor of journalism at the University of Kentucky. "This is definitely being amplified by what is going on in Washington. We can expect a lot more wind to be in the face of Republicans at a time when the state was trending their way."

To add to his troubles, Mr. Fletcher, the first Republican governor here in more than 30 years, lost a highly public effort to force the chairman of the state Republican Party to step down. In June he fired his fifth press secretary, and in the same week he began warring with his lieutenant governor, Steve Pence, who announced he would not share the ticket with Mr. Fletcher in 2007. Mr. Pence has refused to step down from office despite a request from the governor that he do so.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 10:26:59 AM »

i applaud his fight for freedom from these politically motivated charges.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 11:47:36 AM »

OK, I am now convinced that to support any unpopular Republican just on the basis of them being unpopular is a knee jerk position of yours.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 12:52:52 PM »

OK, I am now convinced that to support any unpopular Republican just on the basis of them being unpopular is a knee jerk position of yours.

no.  it is the other people (like yourself) that have a kneejerk reaction.  'OMG TAFT IS AT 18%, LETS PILE ON HIM!!!!!!!1111'

i look at the big picture.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 01:00:21 PM »

Can you name anything good Taft has done? Tha'ts why he's at 18%.

And Fletcher's in the toilet because he's a crook.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 01:31:17 PM »

ive gone on record as saying taft has not been a good governor. 

i just think people like oyu pile on him too much.  stop shooting the wounded.  he isnt the devil incarnate.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 08:11:39 PM »

Hopefully, Kentuckians will reject the excesses of the Kentucky GOP as vested in Fletcher and Bunning (how that nut won re-election in 2004 makes me wanna weep)

Dave
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 11:44:18 PM »

i just think people like oyu pile on him too much.  stop shooting the wounded.  he isnt the devil incarnate.

Anytime your numbers are that horrific you deserve to get pot shots now and then, especially when your numbers are that low and deservidly so due to criminal activity.  Not to mention Taft's absolutley horrific #'s are used as a comparison tool (for Murkowski & Fletcher) as well as it has an impact on the entire sphere of the GOP in Ohio.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 04:26:38 AM »

(how that nut won re-election in 2004 makes me wanna weep)

Because Mongiardo was worse, of course.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 10:06:59 AM »

I'm convinced that Democrats have a great shot at winning statewide office in Kentucky.  The place is not completely hostile to Dems.  Like Virginia, the right kind of Dem can win here, and if Chandler or Mongiardo were to run for either the Senate or for governor, I think they would have a decent shot.  Had 2004 not been a presidential election year, I don't think Bunning would have won that race, especially after some of the crap he pulled when he was running.

Ben Chandler for Governor! 
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 10:58:09 AM »

I agree about Taft, indeed I agree on the general piont about not "kicking a man because he's down"... however that should not detract from the fact that Fletcher is a weak executive and a totally self-serving individual.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 11:00:17 AM »

(how that nut won re-election in 2004 makes me wanna weep)

Because Mongiardo was worse, of course.

No, because the Bunning campaign spread rumors that Mongiardo was gay because he was middle-aged (almost) and single.  Mongiardo may have won had he been married.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 12:42:34 PM »

"Bunning is picking on me" was the only thing Mongiardo had going for him.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 01:24:04 PM »

Still the fact that Bunning won by only 2 points on a race was supposed to win in a walk is not something to brag about.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 01:29:04 PM »

Still the fact that Bunning won by only 2 points on a race was supposed to win in a walk is not something to brag about.

Absolutely. Bunning messed everything up. I remember watching the results that night and seeing he only won by two. I was flipping out as a result of his stupidity.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies