California satan day election results (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:10:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California satan day election results (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California satan day election results  (Read 9729 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 07, 2006, 03:04:52 PM »

jfern, would you say that Alpine is populist, or it's just a solid split between liberals and conservatives?  The precinct results indicate that it is split between fairly conserative areas and very liberal ones.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 03:41:44 PM »

A number of socially conservative counties didn't vote for Washington's partial birth abortion ban.  I'm not always convinced that abortion votes are the best ways to determine that sort of thing.

For instance, the moderately Republican but generally middle-class Clark County voted against legalising marijuana.  I wouldn't call it populist, just suburbanite conservative.  If you kow what I'm getting at...

Sometimes I think that there are a lot of "cultural conservatives" out there who are more uncomfortable than they realise with social conservatism.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 04:38:52 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2006, 04:42:40 PM by Alcon »

A number of socially conservative counties didn't vote for Washington's partial birth abortion ban.  I'm not always convinced that abortion votes are the best ways to determine that sort of thing.

For instance, the moderately Republican but generally middle-class Clark County voted against legalising marijuana.  I wouldn't call it populist, just suburbanite conservative.  If you kow what I'm getting at...

Sometimes I think that there are a lot of "cultural conservatives" out there who are more uncomfortable than they realise with social conservatism.

Apples to orange comparision, partial birth abortion is a non-medical term, and did the ban make an exception to save the life of the woman? Also, Alpine county did vote for Kerry and Boxer.

The ban item read as follows:

Shall the termination of a fetus' life during the process of birth be a felony crime except when necessary to prevent the pregnant woman's death?

So, yes, it did, and I think "process of birth" is a pretty clear term.  In fact, with that wording, I'm surprised it failed so badly.  It failed statewide with under 43%.

The medical marijuana item read as follows:

Shall the medical use of marijuana for certain terminal or debilitating conditions be permitted, and physicians authorized to advise patients about medical use of marijuana.

It passed with 59%.

I know Alpine voted for Kerry and Boxer.  That's why I was asking.  It seems odd that the two groups (the liberals and the mainstream conservatives) could have voted together so strongly even 15 years ago if it wasn't for the Democrats being either populists or libertarians.  It's an area which I'd like to know more about (Mono County, too).

This was passed along with an anti-governmental affirmative action proposition (which passed 58%, with support of every county but a narrow defeat in King).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 04:22:55 PM »

An awful lot of fuss about the whopping 700 voters in Alpine County!   Since .00564% of the state's voters live there, it could be crucial!

It's an interesting topic of discussion because it used to be an extraordinarily Republican county and now it is not.  What's the big deal?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 01:53:01 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks that Angelides looks a little like Richard Belzer?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies