California satan day election results (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:45:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California satan day election results (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California satan day election results  (Read 9751 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: June 07, 2006, 04:15:04 PM »

A number of socially conservative counties didn't vote for Washington's partial birth abortion ban.  I'm not always convinced that abortion votes are the best ways to determine that sort of thing.

For instance, the moderately Republican but generally middle-class Clark County voted against legalising marijuana.  I wouldn't call it populist, just suburbanite conservative.  If you kow what I'm getting at...

Sometimes I think that there are a lot of "cultural conservatives" out there who are more uncomfortable than they realise with social conservatism.

Apples to orange comparision, partial birth abortion is a non-medical term, and did the ban make an exception to save the life of the woman?
More to the point, what sort of support did it get statewide?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 03:24:21 AM »

An awful lot of fuss about the whopping 700 voters in Alpine County!   Since .00564% of the state's voters live there, it could be crucial!

It's an interesting topic of discussion because it used to be an extraordinarily Republican county and now it is not.  What's the big deal?
Well from what I understand it's basically 40% Mormon, 25% Peyotist, and 30% young tourism industry workers who were probably mostly born in the Bay Area and the northern part of the Central Valley. (adds to 95% because there's bound to be some people who don't fit in)... and the recent growth (huge in percentage, though small in numbers) is in the last of these figures. Hardly surprising it changed hands, then. Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 04:38:41 AM »

An awful lot of fuss about the whopping 700 voters in Alpine County!   Since .00564% of the state's voters live there, it could be crucial!

It's an interesting topic of discussion because it used to be an extraordinarily Republican county and now it is not.  What's the big deal?
Well from what I understand it's basically 40% Mormon, 25% Peyotist, and 30% young tourism industry workers who were probably mostly born in the Bay Area and the northern part of the Central Valley. (adds to 95% because there's bound to be some people who don't fit in)... and the recent growth (huge in percentage, though small in numbers) is in the last of these figures. Hardly surprising it changed hands, then. Wink

I assume that Mono county is similar?
Only in that it's got the tourism sector worker influx as well. Fewer Mormons, fewer Indians, and they're not Peyotists as far as I'm aware. Unlike Alpine it's got a sizeable "normal" rural American element.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies