Atlasian-Israel-Jordon Free Trade Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:43:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian-Israel-Jordon Free Trade Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Atlasian-Israel-Jordon Free Trade Bill  (Read 6098 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2006, 08:21:42 AM »

Atlasian-Israel-Jordan Free Trade Bill

Section 1: Jordan
1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Jordan.
2. The United States-Jordan Free Trade Agreement is repealed.

Section 2: Israel
1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Israel.
2. The United States-Israel Free Trade Agreement is repealed.

Section 3: Designation of Powers
1. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this act.

Sponsor: Sen. MasterJedi
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 12:40:46 PM »

Well, given that I'm of the conviction that free trade agreements between Atlasia; and Israel and Jordan should be conducted separately, I, hereby, propose the following amendment:

Section 1 Jordan is hereby stricken from the Bill and the bill is amended to read:

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on the movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Israel.
3. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as maybe necessary to implement the provisions of this act.

This is hereby renamed the Atlasian-Israel Free Trade Bill

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 01:03:56 PM »

If you must try and do something to this why don't you just put your old amendment onto the Jordon part? That would be fine instead of taking Jordon out of the benefits.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 03:57:53 PM »

If you must try and do something to this why don't you just put your old amendment onto the Jordon part? That would be fine instead of taking Jordon out of the benefits.

He isn't taking Jordan out, he just wants their agreement to be separate.  I agree with you, though, he should just add the regular amendment onto this, but make it apply to both Israel and Jordan.  Let's not deny that Israel hasn't had its share of human rights issues.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 04:00:33 PM »

He isn't taking Jordan out, he just wants their agreement to be separate.  I agree with you, though, he should just add the regular amendment onto this, but make it apply to both Israel and Jordan.  Let's not deny that Israel hasn't had its share of human rights issues.

Yes, he's taking Jordon out because he hasn't introduced a bill with Jordon seperate. And Israel doesn't deserve that amendment, killing terrorists isn't a human rights issue.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 04:01:29 PM »

No one's yet answered why "human rights violations" should disqualify a nation from participating in free trade.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 04:54:40 PM »

To MasterJedi: Israel has killed civilians, often in the process of killing terrorists, but killing civilians nonetheless.  There is also seriosu concern of the new wal  slicing up palestinian owned land which may devastate the palestinians, and Israel cares very little.  I would say Israel is better with human rights than Jordan, but that clause should be in there anyways.

To Jake: It is further incentive to get these countries to reform.  If they can get can free trade with a country like Atlasia if they offer their citizens basic rights, then it is an a good reason to reform, and is less harmful than sanctions.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 05:15:38 PM »

As the governments of Israel and Jordan signed and maintain a peace treaty in 1994 and Jordan has followed what has probably been the most pro-Western foreign policy of all Middle Eastern states bar Israel itself, I find that the amendment to strike Jordan from the bill to be unfortunate. If it is passed I hope that a seperate bill be introduced to extend free and unrestricted trade towards Jordan in a similar to what is offered to Israel. While I unashemedly pro-Israeli in all aspects, she is not our only potential ally in the Middle East.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 05:38:04 PM »

As the governments of Israel and Jordan signed and maintain a peace treaty in 1994 and Jordan has followed what has probably been the most pro-Western foreign policy of all Middle Eastern states bar Israel itself, I find that the amendment to strike Jordan from the bill to be unfortunate. If it is passed I hope that a seperate bill be introduced to extend free and unrestricted trade towards Jordan in a similar to what is offered to Israel. While I unashemedly pro-Israeli in all aspects, she is not our only potential ally in the Middle East.

Could the secretary please clarify what "pro-israel in [all] aspects" means?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 05:55:42 PM »

If you knew me you would be aware of my support for Israel as a democratic 'bolthole' in the Middle East. But supporting free trade with Jordan does not make me anti-Israeli
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 06:38:44 PM »

If you knew me you would be aware of my support for Israel as a democratic 'bolthole' in the Middle East. But supporting free trade with Jordan does not make me anti-Israeli

I wasn't asking that.

I'm saying a secretary of state should not be so biased towards one country.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 07:15:15 PM »

I wasn't asking that.

I'm saying a secretary of state should not be so biased towards one country.

Thats exactly what a Secretary of State should be if he or she believes it to be in the best interests of Atlasia to support a key world ally. Foreign policy has never been and never can be impartial; I am no isolationist.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 11:09:39 PM »

To Jake: It is further incentive to get these countries to reform.  If they can get can free trade with a country like Atlasia if they offer their citizens basic rights, then it is an a good reason to reform, and is less harmful than sanctions.

Their government is hardly our business, unless they're doing something contrary to our interests. Jordan may not be a pure democracy, but after all the help they've given us over the past five years, it'd be a slap in the face to attach a human rights/liberal democracy waiver to a free trade bill.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 04:32:05 AM »

Who is Jordon, and why are we having free trade with him?
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2006, 08:14:38 PM »

Who is Jordon, and why are we having free trade with him?

Master Jedi doesn't do too well with country spellings (like Columbia when it is Colombia).  Everyone has their faults, though.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 01:32:52 AM »

Enough of these amendments.  It's not necessary to split this up into two bills because we already have existing free trade agreements that we're replacing with these countries, as opposed to new countries we are opening free trade with.  This is just a loose ends bill, finishing in the transition from old FTA's to the new type we now use in Atlasia.  Why make this process more bloated than needed?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 06:17:12 AM »

I hereby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Section 1 Jordan is hereby stricken from the Bill and the bill is amended to read:

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on the movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Israel.
3. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as maybe necessary to implement the provisions of this act.

This is hereby renamed the Atlasian-Israel Free Trade Bill

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 06:17:39 AM »

Nay
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 06:43:26 AM »

Nay
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2006, 07:57:01 AM »

I will be introducing an Atlasian-Jordan Free Trade Bill momentarily. And in the event of this amendment failing, it will be as the President intended, though it will, of course, be subject to the same amendment as with Morocco, Singapore and Bahrain

Aye on this amendment. Should this pass, I shall then consider if such an amendment is necessary for the Israeli Bill. It's unlikely, however, since the state of Israel has been a democracy since it's formation Smiley

'Hawk'
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2006, 12:21:41 PM »

Eh, Aye.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2006, 05:09:52 PM »

Nay.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 10:05:40 PM »

Yup
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 11:02:57 PM »

Aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 03:21:31 PM »

Current Vote Tally 5 days left to vote.

4 Aye (Dave Hawk, WMS, Ilikeverin, EarlAW)
3 Nay (MasterJedi, Keystone Phil, Bacon King)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies