Interesting dialogue going on between liberals and libertarians (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:49:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Interesting dialogue going on between liberals and libertarians (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interesting dialogue going on between liberals and libertarians  (Read 7219 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: June 12, 2006, 04:14:19 PM »

It's obvious the person writing that hasn't got a clue about libertarianism other than the tired old stereotypes.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 04:11:15 PM »

There are 'civil liberties' Libertarians, ones that are pro-free speech above all else.  To appeal to the left we should try to emphasize matters such as being against war (except for the last resort) and for separation of church and state (at least the extent we can be).  Sorry jfern, I can kinda see where you're goin with this, be you can't expect me to support a 'libertarian' that's against a free market.

Well, really it all comes down to who you would have voted in the 1933 election in Germany.

Godwin's law.
You lose.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 03:54:20 AM »

There are 'civil liberties' Libertarians, ones that are pro-free speech above all else.  To appeal to the left we should try to emphasize matters such as being against war (except for the last resort) and for separation of church and state (at least the extent we can be).  Sorry jfern, I can kinda see where you're goin with this, be you can't expect me to support a 'libertarian' that's against a free market.

Well, really it all comes down to who you would have voted in the 1933 election in Germany.

Godwin's law.
You lose.

Godwin's law doesn't say that bringing up Hitler makes you lose a conversation. Wink + Tongue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Corollaries and usage

There is a tradition in many Usenet newsgroups that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically "lost" whatever debate was in progress.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies