is berlin really a dirty, poor, rough city?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:13:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  is berlin really a dirty, poor, rough city?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: is berlin really a dirty, poor, rough city?  (Read 3962 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2006, 10:56:15 AM »

with the start of the world cup, there has been some rather unflattering stories about berlin from the american media.

is it really *that bad* of  a place?  would a wiry american man, such as myself, survive the city without personal injury and with my wallet still in my pocket?

how does it compare to say cleveland?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 06:18:52 PM »

with the start of the world cup, there has been some rather unflattering stories about berlin from the american media.

They seem to nitpick when it comes to describing European cities while neglecting the state of some of their own Roll Eyes
Jens
Angola

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 07:57:49 PM »

is it really *that bad* of  a place?  would a wiry american man, such as myself, survive the city without personal injury and with my wallet still in my pocket?

It is always possible to find bad places in a major city. My personal experience of Berlin is that it is a fascinating and rather progressive city where it still is possible to find alternative ways of life in the centre. I have never felt threated or afraid. What kind of stories are they running?
Tory

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 08:26:12 PM »

I was there a couple of months ago and I thought it was terrible. The people were unfriendly and I let them know it so there were a couple of scuffles. And it is pretty dirty, but the UK is dirty(and in a nastier way), so I won't complain about that.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 03:20:35 AM »

Berlin is certainly the poorest, roughest big city in Germany (though not dirtier that Hamburg, Cologne or Frankfurt - but sure as hell dirtier than Munich or Stuttgart.)
But no, you won't get injured or robbed, except maybe in a ritzy café in Mitte.
Max

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 08:46:52 AM »

I've been there with my class one year ago. it was amazing, but I wouldn't like to live there for a long time.

We were staying in the inner city district of Kreuzberg, where is a lot of immigration, exotic restaurants, pubs, mucic clubs etc.

For one or two weeks it is a great city.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 10:46:36 AM »

It is always possible to find bad places in a major city. My personal experience of Berlin is that it is a fascinating and rather progressive city where it still is possible to find alternative ways of life in the centre. I have never felt threated or afraid. What kind of stories are they running?

they are saying it is dirty.  that is lags behind the cities in western germany.  they say there are a lot of poors there, with unemployment of 20%.  it has also been mentioned that there are a lot of immigrants in berlin.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 02:01:51 AM »

they are saying it is dirty.  that is lags behind the cities in western germany.  they say there are a lot of poors there, with unemployment of 20%.  it has also been mentioned that there are a lot of immigrants in berlin.

I was also in Berlin last year. We went backpacking and stayed in the city fr about 4 days. We got a lot of impressions because we went through most parts of the city. There are some parts i remember especially in the former east Berlin where our second hostel was which were sprayed down by graffiti, the houses were old, there were punks with dogs on the streets and homeless people on benches and so on. The girls travelling with us were scared sometimes when we went to cinema in the evening. But there were also very clean ares and neighborhoods mostly in the western part and in the center and suburbs and shopping areas. It´s true that there are a lot of immigrants in Berlin, from all over the world, the unemployment is at some 20% and there are schools where only 5 to 10% of students are german. So there are some conflicts. I´d have to stay longer to say more about it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 06:22:42 AM »

All correct (although in percentage terms, most western major cities have more immigrants than Berlin, not less.)

I'll be in Berlin thursday to monday.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 06:21:02 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2006, 06:23:59 AM by Michael Z »

I went to Berlin in December. Some of it was horrible (eg. Charlottenburg district), but other places were quite nice. I noticed that there's still a bit of a dichotomy between east and west - I felt people in the East were far more down-to-earth and easy-going than in western parts.

I generally feel that Berlin, as a city, tries too hard to be a megapolis on a par with London, Paris or New York, which means it tends to suffer from delusions of grandeur. It's still worth a visit, though. And it's certainly a cut above Cleveland. Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 01:46:36 PM »

I went to Berlin in December. Some of it was horrible (eg. Charlottenburg district), but other places were quite nice. I noticed that there's still a bit of a dichotomy between east and west - I felt people in the East were far more down-to-earth and easy-going than in western parts.

I generally feel that Berlin, as a city, tries too hard to be a megapolis on a par with London, Paris or New York, which means it tends to suffer from delusions of grandeur. It's still worth a visit, though. And it's certainly a cut above Cleveland. Wink
A bit? LOL! Understatement of the year.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 02:31:25 PM »

lewis help me out.

what us city would berlin be similar to?
Tory

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 06:23:34 PM »

lewis help me out.

Detroit, circa 1986
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 06:44:54 PM »

lewis help me out.

Detroit, circa 1986

has detroit gotten worse since 1986?
Tory

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 06:48:31 PM »

lewis help me out.

Detroit, circa 1986

has detroit gotten worse since 1986?

I have a stupid sense of humour, I know
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 03:30:10 AM »

lewis help me out.

I've only been to a couple of US major cities - Boston, New York, Portland, St Petersburg. I couldn't say.

But think of it this way:
Berlin is an extremely divided city - politically, not racially.
Berlin, like Philadelphia, had vast suburbs very early, and incorporated them quite early on - in 1918.
However, from 1945 to 1990 there was very very little suburban growth (for obvious reasons). This bit alone pretty much rules out any similarities to US cities.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 04:38:37 AM »

Berlin, like Philadelphia, had vast suburbs very early, and incorporated them quite early on - in 1918.
However, from 1945 to 1990 there was very very little suburban growth (for obvious reasons). This bit alone pretty much rules out any similarities to US cities.

Sounds a bit like Bradford then; there's been some new developments since the '30's (largely big council estates in the south of the city) and a fair bit of infilling in the inner suburbs, but that's about it. Most of the city was incorporated very early as well.
Bradford is also a good candidate for being the "poorest, roughest" big city, although that does depend on what is meant by "poorest" (overall it's only rivals are Stoke and Sunderland, in terms of deprivation it (like everywhere else) trails Manchester and Liverpool). O/c that's talking about the city proper (ie; not the Met. District). It also depends what is meant by "big". It also has a certain arty undercurrent (not that most people outside the city know about that).

I wouldn't have thought a racially-divided (not as bad as was o/c), 19th century industrial city (Bradford was a small township until the 1800's) would have much more in common with Berlin though (although I could be wrong).
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 03:29:17 PM »

Some of it was horrible (eg. Charlottenburg district

Quite appropriately twinned with Lewisham.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 01:12:08 PM »

Some of it was horrible (eg. Charlottenburg district

Quite appropriately twinned with Lewisham.

lol. Very appropriate! Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies