A quick poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:07:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  A quick poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: During this time of war and record economic failures, do you feel as though flag desecration is a pressing issue.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: A quick poll  (Read 4052 times)
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2006, 12:56:17 PM »

Discuss.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 12:57:38 PM »

What is flag desegration ?
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 01:09:58 PM »

Desecration* are things that well...desecrate the flag. Like Flag burning and things of that nature.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 02:29:29 PM »

Flag desecration and gay marriage are smoke screens to deflect attention away from real issues.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 02:30:47 PM »

Flag desecration and gay marriage are smoke screens to deflect attention away from real issues.

Sez who? Grin
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 02:42:57 PM »

I guess I'd say that if two gay guys get married it doesn't hurt me. If some nut burns a flag, that doesn't hurt me either assuming its not my flag. On the other hand;
 huge deficits could hurt me.
Continuous errosion of our rights could hurt me.
Fast food taxes on my lunch could hurt me too. Smiley
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 02:48:46 PM »

Continuous errosion of our rights could hurt me.

At our age if they don't erode pretty fast it won't make much difference!
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 05:07:12 PM »

I obviously don't support the amendment and I find it ridiculous that anyone would think this issue is important enough to be written into the Constitution.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 05:42:34 PM »

We need these things in case a gay Mexican sneaks over the border and gets married in a tux made out of an American flag.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 08:31:43 PM »

Congress isn't going to solve either of the issues you mentioned even if they do discuss them, so I do think it is a legitimate thing to discuss.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 08:51:24 PM »

You think this is a time of record economic failures?  What planet do you live on?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 08:53:09 PM »

Clearly it is a very insignificant issue compared to many others. Option 2.

One constitional amendment that the Republicans seem to have given up on is the balanced budget amendment. I wonder why.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 09:12:19 PM »

One constitional amendment that the Republicans seem to have given up on is the balanced budget amendment. I wonder why.

You're a great jokester, Eric. Tongue  I can't imagine why Bush isn't pushing for a balanced budget amendment.  Actually, Reagan did while running record deficits, but then he had the Democrats in the House of Representatives to blame for the excessive spending.

I generally don't support constitutional amendments on policy issues, so I have to say that I wouldn't support this constitutional amendment, though I think that laws forbidding the burning of flags in public places should be considered constitutional, and that the courts once again ruled incorrectly in this case.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 09:18:04 PM »

You're a great jokester, Eric. Tongue  I can't imagine why Bush isn't pushing for a balanced budget amendment.  Actually, Reagan did while running record deficits, but then he had the Democrats in the House of Representatives to blame for the excessive spending.

I generally don't support constitutional amendments on policy issues, so I have to say that I wouldn't support this constitutional amendment, though I think that laws forbidding the burning of flags in public places should be considered constitutional, and that the courts once again ruled incorrectly in this case.

Well, I was only half joking, considering that for a long time it was a pretty routine thing for the GOP to bring up, right through the Clinton years at least.

I agree that I wouldn't support such an amendment either; I think that a balanced budget, while generally good for the economy, should not be forced by law due to the inflexibility this would give the Congress in setting the budget. I think it hurts state governments more than it helps them to have balanced budget requirements, especially in poor economic times.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 09:22:02 PM »

Well, I was only half joking, considering that for a long time it was a pretty routine thing for the GOP to bring up, right through the Clinton years at least.

I agree that I wouldn't support such an amendment either; I think that a balanced budget, while generally good for the economy, should not be forced by law due to the inflexibility this would give the Congress in setting the budget. I think it hurts state governments more than it helps them to have balanced budget requirements, especially in poor economic times.

Requirement for a balanced budget tends to magnify whatever the economic direction is at the time, when government should really be countercyclical.

State governments increase taxes during recessions because tax revenue has dropped and demands for spending increase, and then spend like crazy during good economic times, when the money is rolling in.

It should really be the opposite, but the politicians can never be trusted to resist spending temptations when they have the money, and they'd rather worry about tomorrow later.  The public is not attentive enough to hold the politicians' feet to the fire, and rewards politicians who spend freely when the money is easily flowing in, and then blame them when the money dries up during a recession.  There is no easy answer, because without balanced budget requirements, they'd engage in deficit spending through good times and bad, as the federal government does.
Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 12:28:55 AM »

And term limits.  I wonder why.

I'm not saying that I would support either one as a constitutional amendment either, but it's clear that some hot button issues are more important to the republicans than others--and some are not really pressing at all when THEY are in power.
Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2006, 12:36:26 AM »

We need these things in case a gay Mexican sneaks over the border and gets married in a tux made out of an American flag.

I hadn't ever thought about it in those terms, but I'm glad you framed it that way.  It's changed my entire viewpoint about THREE issues!!  Good job! Wink

And remember, that a gay Mexican could also get married in a wedding dress made out of the American flag!  Female or male!
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2006, 10:54:09 AM »

No.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2006, 11:12:42 AM »

Protecting our freedoms which includes burning our own property in a safe manner, is always important.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 04:06:23 AM »

Desecration* are things that well...desecrate the flag. Like Flag burning and things of that nature.
Flag being touched by a redneck with greasy fingers?

What about use of the flag for mundane purposes, such as advertisement? Isn#t that desecrating it?
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 03:12:23 PM »

Flag being touched by a redneck with greasy fingers?

What about use of the flag for mundane purposes, such as advertisement? Isn#t that desecrating it?

Are you saying that all rednecks have greasy fingers? Also, why would they be touching the flag its self in the first place? I hope you were no more than half serious.

Desecrating as used in this sense means it's overall destruction. Wrapping yourself in it during an election to appear more patriotic than your opponent is not desecrating it.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 05:39:41 PM »

Yes, but is he burning the tux while wearing it Texasgurl?  I would think that should be taken into consideration.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 05:48:04 PM »

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 06:10:20 PM »

What economic failures?  Anyway, scratching that from your question, the answer is "yes."  Congress is capable of handling more than one issue at a time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies