Ohio Gubernatorial Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:57:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ohio Gubernatorial Race
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which candidate do you think is most likely going to become the next governor of Ohio?
Ted Strickland (D)

Kenneth Blackwell (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Ohio Gubernatorial Race  (Read 6659 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2006, 12:09:30 AM »

Strickland -I strongly doubt that Blackwell is going to gain anywhere near enough votes from blacks to compensate for Strickland's support from what are normally rock-solid Republican constituencies.   
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 12:17:37 AM »

I love how Republicans nominate a token black candidate because he's black and then they expect blacks to vote against their own interests to support a man of their color.  The strategy doesn't work, boys and girls.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 12:18:13 AM »

I love how Republicans nominate a token black candidate because he's black and then they expect blacks to vote against their own interests to support a man of their color.  The strategy doesn't work, boys and girls.

You mean Keyes didn't win?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 01:42:27 AM »

Texas Indy Sumemd it up pretty well.  This race isn't going to be close, Strickland will win pretty easily.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 05:11:09 AM »

The Ohio GOP will have the same problem on their hands for awhile that the California Dems still have on theirs. They have to shed off their affiliation to a previous governor who is held in extremely bad light. If Blackwell says anything Taft like, his chances are done. Just as how if Angelides says anything Davis like, his chances are badly hurt.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 08:02:01 AM »

Strickland, who will make an excellent Governor.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 01:26:15 PM »

Blackwell is a two-term Secretary of State and one term Treasurer of Ohio, among other positions in Washington and in Cincinnati that he has held in the past, so he's hardly a "token" candidate.  If anything, he was the best choice.

I believe Blackwell has strong resources that will help him win, although I'm not predicting he will, at least not yet.   The conservative base will turn out strongly for him, boosting his margins in the suburbs and exurbs in Cinncinatti, Columbus, and Cleveland.  Strickland also has a voting record in Congress that will be fair game.  Also, blacks have voted for Blackwell in the past in strong numbers, not by a majority, but it is unlikely Strickland will perform as well as Democrats normally would, even if Blackwell still took a large hit from his previous totals. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 05:13:29 PM »

You might be right about Blackwell, the only reason such a fuss was made over him is because he's black, plus he would've never got the Lt. Gov. position if he was white either.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 07:13:05 PM »

I was referring to Steele.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 08:40:19 PM »

Blackwell is a two-term Secretary of State and one term Treasurer of Ohio, among other positions in Washington and in Cincinnati that he has held in the past, so he's hardly a "token" candidate.  If anything, he was the best choice.

Good point. I don't think I'd consider Swann or Steele as "token" candidates either.

Steele is an insanely tokenist candidate.  Swann not as much.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 08:13:55 PM »

As much as I would like to see a black Republican Governor elected, I believe that Strickland will win this contest.

A very unpopular incumbent Republican Governor is certainly not going to help the Blackwell campaign one bit.
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 03:12:43 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2006, 07:54:09 PM by The American Dream »

Good point. I don't think I'd consider Swann or Steele as "token" candidates either.

Steele has served a four year term as Lt. Governor and was state GOP chairman before that.  How much political experience does a Black Conservative need to stop being a token (to folks like you) and start becoming an individual?

The bigotry from the left is amazing.
DJ09
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 06:37:50 PM »

What blows me away is that if a republican would say that about a black candidate he would be called a racist by the democrats as they try to utilize the blacks for their own political interest and not the intents of the people
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 04:49:13 PM »

Strickland will win this race, pure and simple.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 11:52:27 AM »

Steele has served a four year term as Lt. Governor and was state GOP chairman before that.  How much political experience does a Black Conservative need to stop being a token (to folks like you) and start becoming an individual?

How many white candidates have run for Senate after only one term as Lt. Gov. (a rather powerless position at that?). Why was no one mentioning our one term Lt. Gov. as a ptoential Senate candidate, or whoever Rendell's one term Lt. Gov. is before Casey stepped in, etc. Of course Steele wouldn't be thought of as a candidate if he wasn't black.

And he wouldn't even be Lt. Gov. if he was white too. Think about it, he was state GOP chairman in MARYLAND. Would the guy who ran the opposition party to most of the state be thought of as a help to the ticket if he was white?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 11:57:03 AM »

or whoever Rendell's one term Lt. Gov. is before Casey stepped in, etc.

Because Knoll is a joke, whether she's black, white, red, or purple.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 07:45:04 PM »

How many white candidates have run for Senate after only one term as Lt. Gov. (a rather powerless position at that?). Why was no one mentioning our one term Lt. Gov. as a ptoential Senate candidate, or whoever Rendell's one term Lt. Gov. is before Casey stepped in, etc. Of course Steele wouldn't be thought of as a candidate if he wasn't black.

And he wouldn't even be Lt. Gov. if he was white too. Think about it, he was state GOP chairman in MARYLAND. Would the guy who ran the opposition party to most of the state be thought of as a help to the ticket if he was white?

This is Maryland. How many viable Senate candidates can the Republicans produce from there, anyway? Lt. Gov is as good as any.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 09:52:28 PM »

This is Maryland. How many viable Senate candidates can the Republicans produce from there, anyway? Lt. Gov is as good as any.

Someone like whoever ran against Mikluski last election. Fact is if Steele were white he wouldn't be considered a remotely viable candidate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies