Lieberman refuses to rule out running as an Independent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:03:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lieberman refuses to rule out running as an Independent
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Lieberman refuses to rule out running as an Independent  (Read 12177 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2006, 07:00:03 PM »

Ned Lamont said he would support the winner of the Democratic party. Why won't Joe Lieberman?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/6/10/194732/208
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 07:13:02 PM »

Ned Lamont said he would support the winner of the Democratic party. Why won't Joe Lieberman?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/6/10/194732/208

Because if Lieberman somehow actually loses the nomination, he has a damned good chance in the general as an independent. If Lamont loses the nomination he does not. I'll be supporting Lieberman though. His distinguished career really goes beyond a single issue.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 07:23:48 PM »

I hope Lieberman doesn't run as an independent if he loses the primary. I would support him if he does, however.

That being said, I highly doubt he will lose the primary.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 07:28:48 PM »

With statements like this, he deserves to lose the primary. He got elected in 1988 with the support of the RNC, he spouted off right-wing talking points during the 2000 recount, and now he won't rule out leaving the Democratic party. Time to show him the door. He's not a team player.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 07:34:59 PM »

Joe is scared.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 07:52:34 PM »

Because power is like crack, It ain't easy to give up.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 07:53:53 PM »

Also Lieberman is an ass for running for re-election in 2000, instead of devoting his full energies to making sure that we didn't somehow have the worst President ever get into office. Lieberman's insistance on running for re-election was basically him saying he didn't think Gore would win.
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 08:02:26 PM »

I do not see any way that could result in him (Sen. Lieberman) losing the Democratic Primary, but if he did, under CT law, he has the right to seek the office as an Independent.

Lamont won't run as an Independent because he couldn't break 8% in the general election if Lieberman had the Democratic nomination.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 08:42:19 PM »

I do not see any way that could result in him (Sen. Lieberman) losing the Democratic Primary, but if he did, under CT law, he has the right to seek the office as an Independent.

Lamont won't run as an Independent because he couldn't break 8% in the general election if Lieberman had the Democratic nomination.

No, Lamont won't run as an Independent because he's a Democrat.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 08:42:27 PM »

This proves Joe thinks Lamont can win.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 09:04:07 PM »

lieberman is one of the finest senators in washington in either party.  democrats would be foolish to not re-nominate him.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 09:12:43 PM »

I hope he does run as an independent if he loses the primary.  He would crush his opponents.

Does Connecticut have an open primary?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 10:06:22 PM »

Good, we need more senators like him. 
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 11:32:24 PM »

The truth is, the party needs Lieberman more than he needs the party. The polls show him landsliding regardless of whether he is an independent or a Democrat.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 11:43:23 PM »

Good for him. We might have two Independent Senators from New England after this election unless Lieberman switches back to the Dems after he wins.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 12:01:25 AM »

If Lieberman loses the Democratic primary, it would be very hard for him to make it on the ballot as an independent.

He would need to collect 30,000 signatures of registered CT voters ready the first day after the primary.

I really hope Lamont beats him and we can finally be rid of "Sean Hannity's favorite Democrat".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2006, 12:04:06 AM »

If Lieberman loses the Democratic primary, it would be very hard for him to make it on the ballot as an independent.

He would need to collect 30,000 signatures of registered CT voters ready the first day after the primary.

I really hope Lamont beats him and we can finally be rid of "Sean Hannity's favorite Democrat".

Well, basically he's got a few options

1. Hope that CT Democrats vote for someone who isn't sounding like much of a Democrat with his threats of running as an Independent. In this case, those would just be threats
2. Start openly collecting signatures now - not good for his primary chances
3. Start secretly collecting signatures - wait that isn't going to work
4. Thank Bush for having such a pathetic economy that he (Joe) hires all of the unemployed people in CT, he can get the signatures in 1 day
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2006, 12:47:11 AM »

Also Lieberman is an ass for running for re-election in 2000, instead of devoting his full energies to making sure that we didn't somehow have the worst President ever get into office. Lieberman's insistance on running for re-election was basically him saying he didn't think Gore would win.

I agree that I would have preferred him to step aside in 2000 rather than run for reelection; this also would have made it more likely that the Democrats could take control of the Senate (as it turned out, if Lieberman had stepped aside and Gore had won the White House, the Democrats would have controlled the Senate, assuming that the replacement candidate for Lieberman wins in Connecticut, which they likely would have).
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2006, 01:44:13 AM »

Joe Lieberman is a disgusting peice of garbage and as much of a party traitor as Zell Miller. I hope Ned kicks his ass even though he is such a snake he will most likely run as an independant.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2006, 08:27:18 AM »

I agree that I would have preferred him to step aside in 2000 rather than run for reelection; this also would have made it more likely that the Democrats could take control of the Senate (as it turned out, if Lieberman had stepped aside and Gore had won the White House, the Democrats would have controlled the Senate, assuming that the replacement candidate for Lieberman wins in Connecticut, which they likely would have).

LBJ ran for re-election to the U.S. Senate in 1960 while being on the ticket with JFK. There is historical precedent and on a winning ticket at that.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2006, 11:57:06 AM »

LBJ ran for re-election to the U.S. Senate in 1960 while being on the ticket with JFK. There is historical precedent and on a winning ticket at that.

True, though I was opposed to it primarily for partisan reasons, since it hurt the chances of the Democrats to take back the Senate, due to CT having a Republican Governor who would have likely appointed a Republican to the seat if Lieberman had been elected VP.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2006, 06:44:07 PM »

Lieberman's insistance on running for re-election was basically him saying he didn't think Gore would win.

And he was right!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2006, 10:09:32 PM »

Lieberman's insistance on running for re-election was basically him saying he didn't think Gore would win.

And he was right!

Worst VP candidate since..err...ever.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2006, 10:27:06 PM »

Sigh...

Now I now how Andrew Berger feels about Bill Weld, I think.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006, 01:59:20 AM »

And he was right!

Worst VP candidate since..err...ever.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Really?  You think Lieberman was worse than Thomas Eagleton or Dan Quayle?  If so, you must be in a highly medicated state.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies