Lieberman refuses to rule out running as an Independent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:22:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lieberman refuses to rule out running as an Independent
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Lieberman refuses to rule out running as an Independent  (Read 12183 times)
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 02:06:12 AM »

Really?  You think Lieberman was worse than Thomas Eagleton or Dan Quayle?  If so, you must be in a highly medicated state.

Exactly.

Was he worse than Geraldine Ferraro, or George HW Bush?
Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 02:49:36 AM »

LBJ ran for re-election to the U.S. Senate in 1960 while being on the ticket with JFK. There is historical precedent and on a winning ticket at that.

Not great precedent.  JFK's election was far from a sure thing, and LBJ wasn't wild about him.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 03:11:48 AM »

Lieberman's insistance on running for re-election was basically him saying he didn't think Gore would win.

And he was right!

Worst VP candidate since..err...ever.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Really?  You think Lieberman was worse than Thomas Eagleton or Dan Quayle?  If so, you must be in a highly medicated state.

The key word was candidate. Of course there are crappy VPs, like the two that kind of committed treason, Aaron Burr and John Breckenridge.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006, 04:31:25 PM »

LBJ ran for re-election to the U.S. Senate in 1960 while being on the ticket with JFK. There is historical precedent and on a winning ticket at that.
Lloyd Bentsen as well in 1988 (not with JFK - but he knew him).
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2006, 06:14:54 PM »

Lieberman's insistance on running for re-election was basically him saying he didn't think Gore would win.

And he was right!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The key word was candidate. Of course there are crappy VPs, like the two that kind of committed treason, Aaron Burr and John Breckenridge.

Correct.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2006, 01:27:54 AM »

And he was right!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thomas Eagleton was never a Vice President, he was only a candidate.
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2006, 04:01:56 AM »

And he was right!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In Breckenridge's defense, he was at least out of office when he decided to  join with the Confederacy (and with the Government he believed the people of his home state truly supported).
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2006, 08:19:16 AM »

Does Connecticut have an open primary?

No.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2006, 04:07:00 PM »

With statements like this, he deserves to lose the primary. He got elected in 1988 with the support of the RNC, he spouted off right-wing talking points during the 2000 recount, and now he won't rule out leaving the Democratic party. Time to show him the door. He's not a team player.

Government service is not about being a "team player."  You're sent to represent your state, not some party.

In any case, I think Joe should jump from the Dems and become an independent now.  It would be nice to see another (I) in congress.  Hell, it would be nice if they were all (I).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2006, 04:09:10 PM »

In any case, I think Joe should jump from the Dems and become an independent now.  It would be nice to see another (I) in congress.  Hell, it would be nice if they were all (I).

I'd love for him to stay as an Independent but he wouldn't. The establishment is by his side and he'd return the favor by rejoining the Dems if he was to win as an Independent.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2006, 04:12:46 PM »

Lieberman once had a joint fundraiser with former Republican governor Rowland. Yes, the one that had to go to jail. His campaign is currently calling registered Republicans for money.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2006, 04:20:34 PM »

Lieberman once had a joint fundraiser with former Republican governor Rowland. Yes, the one that had to go to jail. His campaign is currently calling registered Republicans for money.

So?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2006, 04:21:51 PM »

So?

He's running in a Democratic primary, which has people who might actually care about how many corrupt Republicans he's friends with.
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2006, 04:48:05 PM »

So?

I think he is trying to portray Lieberman's attempt to be a Senator for ALL of CT in a negative light.  Just more overly partisan B.S. from a Lamont troll.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2006, 06:05:39 PM »

jfern, I've received several calls from the RNC.  Cross-party fundraising must be in this season.

Reagan Raider, I don't think it's fair to call jfern a "troll."  He may be abrasive, but it's clear that he is not a troll.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2006, 06:09:41 PM »

Reagan Raider, I don't think it's fair to call jfern a "troll."  He may be abrasive, but it's clear that he is not a troll.

I believe hack would be the better term.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2006, 06:13:47 PM »

jfern, I've received several calls from the RNC.  Cross-party fundraising must be in this season.

You probably did something to get on their list. I've gotten tons of stuff from Democrats and nothing from Republicans.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2006, 06:15:26 PM »

You probably did something to get on their list. I've gotten tons of stuff from Democrats and nothing from Republicans.

Not really, my family hasn't done anything and we get stuff from the Dems and Reps.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2006, 06:36:05 PM »

From the Political Wire:

"According to Hotline On Call, Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said that the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee 'fully supports' Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-CT) in his primary bid against Ned Lamont (D), 'and he refused to rule out continuing that support if Lieberman were to run as an independent.'

"Schumer explained that there were degrees of independence: 'You can run as an independent, you can run as an independent Democrat who pledges to vote for Harry Reid as Majority Leader.'"

Supporting Lieberman in the primary I understand, but for the DSCC to support someone not a member of the party over a member of the party would be disgrace.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2006, 06:37:59 PM »

From the Political Wire:

"According to Hotline On Call, Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said that the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee 'fully supports' Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-CT) in his primary bid against Ned Lamont (D), 'and he refused to rule out continuing that support if Lieberman were to run as an independent.'

"Schumer explained that there were degrees of independence: 'You can run as an independent, you can run as an independent Democrat who pledges to vote for Harry Reid as Majority Leader.'"

Supporting Lieberman in the primary I understand, but for the DSCC to support someone not a member of the party over a member of the party would be disgrace.

It's no wonder that the Democratic party can't win elections. I guess Schumer wants the DSCC to become irrelevant. Anyone with a clue will just donate directly to the competitive Senate races if they're going to waste money defeating the Democratic nominee in CT.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2006, 06:39:26 PM »

Lieberman is such a coward that he will likely switch to independent before the Democratic primary rolls around. He is scared to death of losing to Lamont.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2006, 06:50:19 PM »

With statements like this, he deserves to lose the primary. He got elected in 1988 with the support of the RNC, he spouted off right-wing talking points during the 2000 recount, and now he won't rule out leaving the Democratic party. Time to show him the door. He's not a team player.

Government service is not about being a "team player."  You're sent to represent your state, not some party.

^^^^^^

You must be logged in to read this quote.

At this point, making contingency plans to run as an independent would be a good idea for Lieberman, especially considering the fact that Senator Chuck Schumer has said that the DSCC would support him over Lamont even if Joe loses the primary or bolts the party beforehand.  I do not think that Lieberman would have much of a problem in gaining the required signatures among the general registered population for an independent candidacy.  He may not be a hot commodity among leftwing Democrats, but among ordinary voters, who knows? 

Question: if Senator Lieberman were to run as an independent against Ned Lamont and a generic Republican, would he likely win, and if so by how much?  Also, have any polls been done on this scenario?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2006, 06:51:19 PM »

Who exactly is Lamont?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2006, 06:52:15 PM »

www.nedlamont.com
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2006, 06:53:00 PM »

He's the good guy.  Lieberman is the bad guy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies