2006 Mid-Term Update: Democrats Have Twenty-Point Lead Over GOP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:08:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  2006 Mid-Term Update: Democrats Have Twenty-Point Lead Over GOP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2006 Mid-Term Update: Democrats Have Twenty-Point Lead Over GOP  (Read 3005 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 12:25:38 AM »

Gerrymandering reduces the effectiveness of this.

Oh, quit acting like Democrats have never used gerrymandering to their own advantage. Both parties do it when they have power so quit acting like it's such a big deal. Roll Eyes

Texas is the best proof of this example.  Smiley

Actually, some people here are forgetting that race-based gerrymandering has had just about as much effect as partisan-based gerrymandering has.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 12:27:27 AM »

A number of those will win re-election easily.  Ney will be re-elected.

Those three opened, Nussle, Beauprez, Kolbe, and possibly Boehlert, could be added to my list.  21 possibly in play.  Colorado is going to be the key.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 02:35:13 AM »

Fitzpatrick's not going down in PA-8.

The democrats in PA 8 are darn near incompetent
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006, 12:23:50 PM »

A number of those will win re-election easily.  Ney will be re-elected.

Which ones will be re-elected easily?

Ney has been under the threat of indictment from Abramoff for quite a while and is scandal-tainted.  If he is indicted, he doesn't win because indicted incumbents almost never win.

I will grant you that Joe Sulzer losing in the primary to Zach Space did help a bit; it's the main reason why it's at toss-up for me and not lean Dem.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2006, 12:33:20 PM »

Actually, some people here are forgetting that race-based gerrymandering has had just about as much effect as partisan-based gerrymandering has.

That's how George Allen lost his House seat.  His district was split up three ways to accomodate the requirement to have a minority-heavy district.  He moved closer to DC and was going to challenge Wolf, but the state party stopped him.  As such, they pointed him towards the Governors race instead, and won.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2006, 12:35:00 PM »

Fitzpatrick's not going down in PA-8.

The democrats in PA 8 are darn near incompetent

I agree with you historically, but if a "wave election" appears, and that's what the Democrats want, Fitz will be in that dangerous Lean Rep. category naturally.  His seat is too marginal and his opponent right now has too much money and decent quality for me to ignore.

Remember, at this point in the campaign, here are the main issues I'm dealing with on the list (not in order):

1.  Overall macro dynamic - Obviously this favors Democrats at this moment, by how much is the question.

2.  Overall partisan lean - this is measured as Bush 2000/2004 numbers weighted against the mean.  Since there were no "major" third-parties in either of these elections, the numbers are fairly nice clean (unlike 1992 and 1996)).  Marginal districts are put higher up on the list for obvious reasons.

3.  Open seats - Again, sort of obvious.

4.  Scandal-tainted incumbents - On the Rep. side, this encompasses Ney, Pombo, Sherwood and DeLay, would he have run again.  On the Dem. side, this encompasses Mollohan.

5.  Strength of incumbent - Often measured by long-term (elected in 2002 or earlier) incumbents who underperform the Presidential numbers or the partisan lean of the CD.  Examples of this include Cubin on the Rep. side and Boswell on the Dem. side.

6.  Strength of challenger - Is he a state senator or restauranteur?  Having organization helps, as well as name recognition.

7.  Fundraising prowess of challenger - Sort of self-explanatory.  With House incumbents typically having major money advantages, being able to fundraise makes you competitive, if the CD is decently marginal or open.

The one big thing I've left off the list, because we don't know it yet in most cases, is how the challenger appears on TV.  This goes into strength of challnger and can often turn a competitive race into a non-competitive one and vice versa.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2006, 10:22:42 PM »

I looked at the 2004 results and was surprised by about an equal number of 'close" seats that the Democrats won; a stronger coattail effect, the GOP would have gained about 15 seats.  My guess is that there are about, at most 18 GOP seats in play, maximum.

Can anybody give me a list of open seats?

My current guess is that there will be about 10 seat GOP loss; I don't know the open seats, however.

It will be more than 18 seats, unless the current dynamic changes.

Here are the thirty-five GOP seats that are presently on the top of my list, to give examples of what I think the 35 seats I say will be up for grabs for the GOP are. (most will be on here, some will change with time, of course).

I have 29 seats as Lean Dem/Toss-up/Lean Rep and 6 seats as Likely Rep.  The first are top-tier for now, Likely Rep. is second-tier.

I have removed CA-50 from the list now, for obvious reasons.  Open seats have *.

Lean Dem.
1. (IA-01) Nussle*
2. (CO-07) Beauprez*
3. (AZ-08) Kolbe*
4. (PA-06) Gerlach

Toss-up
5. (OH-18) Ney
6. (NM-01) Wilson
7. (NY-24) Boehlert*
8. (IN-09) Sodrel
9. (CT-02) Simmons
10. (IN-08) Hostettler
11. (CT-04) Shays
12. (WI-08) Green*

Lean Rep

13. (WA-08) Reichert
14. (FL-22) Shaw
15. (MN-06) Kennedy*
16. (PA-08) Fitzpatrick
17. (NC-11) Taylor
18. (OH-15) Pryce
19. (IL-06) Hyde*
20. (AZ-05) Hayworth
21. (KY-04) Davis
22. (OH-01) Chabot
23. (PA-07) Weldon
24. (IN-02) Chocola
25. (NY-20) Sweeney
26. (WY-AL) Cubin
27. (PA-10) Sherwood
28. (CA-11) Pombo
29. (TX-22) DeLay*

Likely Rep.

30. (NH-02) Bass
31. (VA-02) Drake
32. (CO-04) Musgrave
33. (FL-13) Harris*
34. (NY-25) Walsh
35. (FL-09) Bilirakis*

This covers all the GOP open seats with Bush 59% or lower except for NV-02 and adds DeLay to the mix, who may be removed depending on who, or if, the GOP nominates to his spot.

I must disagree with respect to the 8th Congressional District in Arizona.

If Randy Graff wins the nomination, I think he'll win.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies